Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ashes to Ashes ** Series Premier ** 03/07/09 (BBC America)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-05-09, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

BBC AMERICA has acquired the U.S. premiere of Ashes to Ashes, the award-winning drama and eagerly awaited sequel to Life On Mars, premiering in March 2009.

I spoilered the description for those that may only currently be watching the American version or the original of LoM.

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
In Ashes to Ashes, Detective Chief Inspector Gene Hunt (Philip Glenister) is transferred from Manchester to London and embraces the '80s. He is joined by sexy psychological profiler, Detective Inspector Alex Drake from 2008, played by Keeley Hawes (MI-5), who finds herself stuck back in 1981 having been shot.

Frustrated by each other's stubbornness, the friction between Alex and Gene heats up and as the two titans collide, it becomes apparent there is more than just a professional tension emerging. Hunt's faithful sidekicks, a newly permed Detective Sergeant Ray Carling and the overly cautious Detective Constable Chris Skelton, are also along for the ride as the new team takes on criminal scum in the nation's capital.

Fire up the Quattro! I know this is a little early, but I just heard about the premier this morning. I only watched the pilot some time back, but enjoyed it. I will definitely put this on season pass and check it out.
Old 02-05-09, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Ashes to Ashes ** Series Premier ** 03/07/09 (BBC America)

Thanx for the heads up. It's good to know it's finally coming to America.

Chris
Old 02-05-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Coincidentally, I finished watching the first season last night. I didn't like it nearly as much as "Life on Mars," but overall I enjoyed it (mostly due to Gene Hunt and the music).

My sister-in-law has an intense clown phobia. If I were a meaner guy, I'd play this show for her.
Old 02-05-09, 12:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I've seen the pilot, and wasn't impressed. Not nearly as good as Life on Mars. But I'm willing to give this show another spin.
Old 03-05-09, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Figure it's time for this to get a bump since it airs this weekend. I'll definitely watch this through.

Meanwhile, looks like UK LOM is getting a US release: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Lif...Series-1/11423
Old 03-05-09, 10:11 AM

$60 SRP for the first 8 episodes?

No thanx!

Chris
Old 03-05-09, 10:14 AM

And it looks like Ashes to Ashes only ran 8 episodes.

Chris
Old 03-05-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
And it looks like Ashes to Ashes only ran 8 episodes.

Chris
Their second season is airing some time this year (over in the UK, of course).
Old 03-05-09, 01:39 PM

I only made that comment because the first series ran in Feb & Mar of last year.

But that is good news, as long as Ashes to Ashes is a good show!

Chris
Old 03-05-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only made that comment because the first series ran in Feb & Mar of last year.

But that is good news, as long as Ashes to Ashes is a good show!

Chris
It's good, but not as good as LoM (cliched, I know, but true).

Semi-spoiler regarding Ashes season 2:
Spoiler:
They're apparently bringing in another character from LoM who had some connection with Sam. They haven't said who, but my money's on Annie.
Old 03-08-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it, will definitely keep tuning in. I haven't seen LoM (other than the final episode that was played just before this and one episode of the ABC remake) but I definitely will check out LoM when it finally comes to DVD.
Old 03-08-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meglos
Their second season is airing some time this year (over in the UK, of course).

According to a NY Times review (positive) the 2nd season starts in a few weeks in the UK, and here on BBC America will be broadcast immediately following Series 1.
Old 03-08-09, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by marty888
According to a NY Times review (positive) the 2nd season starts in a few weeks in the UK, and here on BBC America will be broadcast immediately following Series 1.
Really? I find that hard to believe that they are not going to make us wait at least a year for Season 2. Maybe they expect it to get very good ratings.

I saw the pilot just now and the female lead is a little irritating. She seems to be overacting a lot of the time.

And the writing on this first one was suspect at best.

Spoiler:
Why would the criminal decide to kidnap the female police officer (who is very cute, even with short hair). It just seemed that they wrote it that way to allow the episode to come to a speedy conclusion

Chris
Old 03-08-09, 09:29 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

She was great on Spooks!
Old 03-09-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Could a mod change the title to include "Series Discussion"? I don't think this show will get much discussion on a week-to-week basis. Besides, it only appears to be 8 episodes.

Speaking of "Spooks", I need to watch series 6. Probably won't get to it until this summer though.
Old 03-09-09, 10:11 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really? I find that hard to believe that they are not going to make us wait at least a year for Season 2. Maybe they expect it to get very good ratings.
Chris
Thankfully, since BBC seasons are so short, a lot of imports run here in a 2-season format, like SKINS 1&2.
Old 03-09-09, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by MrE
Thankfully, since BBC seasons are so short, a lot of imports run here in a 2-season format, like SKINS 1&2.
I hope you're right!

Chris
Old 03-09-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love how the BBC run their shows. Showcase airs a lot of them in Canada, so it is easier just to wait until all of the episodes are aired and catch up since it's only a few hours. I do hate when they butcher the shows though taking out stuff for ads (although I have seen Showcase airs some 1 hours BBC shows in slots that are 1:15, which allows for all of the show plus commercials).
Old 03-09-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well BBCA is supposed to play S3 of Torchwood on the same night that it airs in the UK. Sounds like they are doing as much as they can to be current and relevant.
Old 03-15-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last nights was enjoyable, the clown continually manages to freak me out, reminds me of something out of Twin Peaks. Loved the nightclub scene with "Fade to Grey" playing and the discovery of Chris all glammed up. Solid episode.
Old 03-15-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched the first two episodes so far & it's pretty good....
I think it's ALOT better than the U.K. Life on Mars....
Keeley Hawes is great as the lead....
Old 03-15-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had only seen the first episode sometime last year. I rewatched it prior to watching the second entry to catch up.

I thought the first episode took more of an opportunity to poke fun at the lighter side of LoM rather than spending more time on setting up Alex and her situtation. However, this time I did notice a possible conundrum that I did not the first time through. How does her shooter know her? Is it a temporal paradox, or will we find out that he was somehow responsibile for her parents death and for some weird reason he feels compelled to kill her well? I thought I noticed in one of the flashback scenes that she was a child in the backseat of a car with him walking by. Either way seems a little similar to Sam's situation before with his dad.

I agree that the second episode came across as stronger. The emphasis - much like LoM - was the relationship between Gene and Drake and their different methods. It's interesting to see how they work together and still manage to get to the bottom of the issue by using both methods.

Also, as a creepy as that clown is I think the test card girl is worse!
Old 03-15-09, 11:20 PM

I'll say it again, Keeley Hawes is a terrible actress when it comes to scenes where she is in distress. Case in point, when she is in the car with the supposed bomb in there, her acting is so over the top as to be really unbelievable.

So far, Ashes to Ashes pales in comparison to the original Life on Mars. The stories are lightweight without much substance.

And what person would really believe after all this time and all the detailed things happening to her, that she is only in a coma and dreaming the whole thing?

6 more episodes to hopefully make this a decent show, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Chris
Old 03-16-09, 12:49 AM
Suspended

One thing I will say is that Keeley Hawes has some incredible green eyes.
Old 03-16-09, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:

Ashes To Ashes is to be axed - after its star called time on the role.

But the good news for fans of the retro cop show is that there will be at least one more series.

Philip Glenister, who plays tough 1980s detective Gene Hunt, will be seen on screen with time-travelling cop psychologist DI Alex Drake (Keeley Hawes) in a new series on BBC1 next month. And if that is as big a hit as the first - which got more than 7million viewers - he will make a third. But that will be the lot. A BBC source said: "Philip has loved playing Gene and knows a lot of fans would like him to carry on. But he feels he's taken the role as far as he can. The makers were obviously disappointed, but they don't plan to end it quietly. They will use the next two series to tie up all the loose ends - and go out with a bang."

Ashes was a spin-off from award-winning Life On Mars, which also starred Glenister but was set in the 1970s.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.