Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Ideas for very small/light 'almost' ht setup?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Ideas for very small/light 'almost' ht setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-00, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is the plan. I have what is known as a teardrop trailer. It sleeps two people, barely and is about 4' x 8' in size. Here is a link: http://www.chases.org/teardrop/kit.html

As you can see, it's very small and space is limited. Right now, I have a Compaq Presario for watching DVDs away from home and that works well, but I would like to have a better system here.

It has the two rear speakers already wired in, and they can be surround speakers. I have a nice JBL desktop system with a separate small subwoofer, which will be more than enough for this volume of space. How do I get 5.1 sound? Can I get it from my Compaq laptop?

Evantually, I want to add a bigger flip down LCD screen...so I would like to consider separate parts, as compared to a portable DVD player (or do those support external monitors?).

Any info is appreciated! I am going out of town for a few days, but will check in Sunday.

Randy C
Old 03-31-00, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably the best solution would be a Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500. Instant dolby digital/pro-logic system. The lack of a remote shouldn't be a problem, and it has an rca output to plug in your sub.

Other then a computer speaker system, you would have to buy a reciever and center speaker. It would costs a lot more, but would be easier to upgrade or use in another system later on.
Old 04-03-00, 10:42 PM

daledude is right on the money. These speakers sound great for there size, and would easily fill your trailer. If you are not familiar with the system, you get 5 cube speakers with a sub and built in dolby digital decoding.

------------------
"...that gum you like is going to come back in style"
Old 04-03-00, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As far as I know, all the portable DVD players have S-Video jacks for external video devices. I also believe that Sony has a portable that doesnt come with an LCD screen so it should cost less... http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...vd/index.shtml

That is the link for the Sony player... barely bigger than a DVD, but has composite and S-Video outputs and a Dolby Digital output... I think Sony also has a smallish widescreen LCD monitor, not sure if it suppors svid inputs though. Cant find any link for the Sony display, but Apple has a 16x9 LCD too... it's a computer monitor though so I dont know how you could hook up an svid signal to it.

I'd agree with the person that mentioned the Cambridge Digital Theater 5.1 It's meant for computers but would easily fill your trailer, and it's only around $300. http://www.hifi.com/consumer/hifi/Pr...l_mul&cattab=8

[This message has been edited by bdshort (edited April 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by bdshort (edited April 03, 2000).]