Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

King Kong (2005)- most impressive movie ever made

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-29-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently watched King Kong on blu-ray, the first time I had seen it since theaters. While I liked the movie in theaters, it never grabbed me as something exceptional. But as I watched the blu-ray, I was in utter amazement. Now I'm not talking about the quality of the blu-ray itself, which is amazing as well, but as a movie. The scope and detail is just unreal. The special effects are the best I've ever seen. Everything about the movie is huge and truly feels epic. I really do think it is the most impressive movie, from a technical perspective, ever made. Giving it less than 4 stars is unfair imo.
Old 01-29-09, 11:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: King Kong (2005)- most impressive movie ever made

I'd rather watch the 1933 version any day of the week. But it's better than the 1976 version, I'll grant you that.
Old 01-29-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

From a technical perspective, it's very good. That's about all I give it, though. An hour can very, very easily be excised from it.
Old 01-29-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
From a technical perspective, it's very good. That's about all I give it, though. An hour can very, very easily be excised from it.
I agree, one of the few movies I wouldn't mind a "studio" cut of the film.
Old 01-29-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Technically brilliant but probably one of the most boring "epic" films I've ever seen.
Old 01-29-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Screw this movie and it isn't a threadcrap. Where in the original did Jackson think it was a love story between Ann and Kong?

What an idiot. Kong was used to getting the natives, now along comes a blonde-something he's never seen ever-of course he takes to her. Fay was screaming non-stop, she never "loved" him, only at the end did she feel remorse for a creature taken out of his environment and died because of it.
Old 01-29-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
King Kong (2005)? Is this a joke?

I would rather be stabbed in the abdomen, twice, than ever see that idiotic failure of a movie ever again.

They should give an Oscar to a director who fucks up on a film so badly, that a T-Rex and giant monkey fight is boring and irritating.
Old 01-29-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Well, I wouldn't call the dino stampede technically impressive. But, Kong himself was quite impressive.

The length and Jack Black (who I generally like, but thought was a distraction here) really kept me from enjoying this one. I mean he wasn't Keanu in Dracula bad, but I kept waiting for him to bust out a Tenacious D tune any minute!

And NO! Certainly not the most impressive movie ever made.
Old 01-29-09, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
Screw this movie and it isn't a threadcrap. Where in the original did Jackson think it was a love story between Ann and Kong?

What an idiot. Kong was used to getting the natives, now along comes a blonde-something he's never seen ever-of course he takes to her. Fay was screaming non-stop, she never "loved" him, only at the end did she feel remorse for a creature taken out of his environment and died because of it.
I thought that aspect of the story was quite good, actually.

I agree with the initial post; it is a magnificent piece of technically brilliant filmmaking. Maybe not to everyone, but hey, I thought Jackson's LOTR trilogy was an incredible bore; I think this is far more fun to watch.
Old 01-29-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never been quite sure why the humans would ignore the dinosaurs that were supposed to be extinct for over 60 millions years and get excited over a extra large gorilla.
Old 01-29-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The main criticism I have for the movie is that it is overlong, but I don't think it is boring. I agree with Ace of Spades, I was bored by LOTR but really enjoyed Kong. And what is with all the hate for Jack Black in this? I thought he brought a sense of fun to the role and film that a more "serious" actor could not.
Old 01-29-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: King Kong (2005)? Is this a joke?

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I would rather be stabbed in the abdomen, twice, than ever see that idiotic failure of a movie ever again.

They should give an Oscar to a director who fucks up on a film so badly, that a T-Rex and giant monkey fight is boring and irritating.
I agree.
Old 01-29-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
The main criticism I have for the movie is that it is overlong, but I don't think it is boring. I agree with Ace of Spades, I was bored by LOTR but really enjoyed Kong. And what is with all the hate for Jack Black in this? I thought he brought a sense of fun to the role and film that a more "serious" actor could not.
you have criticism for the movie you call the "most impressive movie ever made"? sheesh.
Old 01-29-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Hyperbole: The Awesomest Thing That Ever Awesomed
Old 01-29-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
you have criticism for the movie you call the "most impressive movie ever made"? sheesh.
keep in mind I said "from a technical perspective"
Old 01-29-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I've never been quite sure why the humans would ignore the dinosaurs that were supposed to be extinct for over 60 millions years and get excited over a extra large gorilla.
I always wondered about the same thing. A giant monkey is cool but I'd would pay to see a T-Rex or something similar.
Old 01-29-09, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I liked King Kong, technically it's an impressive piece...but it's a bit too long. Some scenes could've easily been condensed, it's a good film though. Also...I really liked the Kong vs. the 3 T-Rex. It's a solid B at the most...
Old 01-29-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Blade Runner is more impressive. Brazil is more impressive. Heck, even TRON is more impressive. And all 3 are tons more interesting.
Old 01-29-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Blade Runner is more impressive. Brazil is more impressive. Heck, even TRON is more impressive. And all 3 are tons more interesting.
um no, blade runner i suppose is arguable but the other 2 definitely not. Brazil is overrated and Tron is dated.

Last edited by hapgilmore; 01-29-09 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-29-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I fell asleep while watching this movie. Not a good sign.
Old 01-29-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought the LOTR trilogy was more impressive, technically, too. That movie created a dozen different "worlds" and did it over a span of three films and 8 hours.
Old 01-29-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
um no, blade runner i suppose is arguable but the other 2 definitely not. Brazil is overrated and Tron is dated.
There is more intelligence, satire, wordplay, originality, creativity, vision, and speculative truth in 3 seconds of BRAZIL than there was in 3 *incredibly boring* hours of PJ's KING KONG.

Tron is "dated" insomuch that it was very much a product and reflection of 1980s technology and the advent/intrustion of personal computing into daily lives. It was also a precursor to the cyberpunk genre of filmmaking as well as a CGI groundbreaker... as opposed to a 1930s period piece remake of a film classic that was altogether redundant and absolutely unnecessary.
Old 01-29-09, 03:08 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree, it's a great one. I never thought it was too long.
Old 01-29-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Great movie, love every last second of it. And like others above, I thought the LOTR movies were boring.

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

The length and Jack Black (who I generally like, but thought was a distraction here) really kept me from enjoying this one.
I'm just the opposite. Normally can't stand Jack Black, but didn't mind him in this.
Old 01-29-09, 03:23 PM
Banned

I think its great as well. I love that it runs 3 hours. Never boring and impressive as hell. Not as much so as the LOTR trilogy but still Kong is an amazing achievement. If I was a kid 7-12 years old this would probably be my favorite movie. It has problems of course that I can't overlook (acting, some of the dialogue, etc.) but length is not one of them. I like going to the movies and getting my moneys worth and more. You cant say Jackson made a film that felt cheap and effortless. It was a complete experience that didn't leave me wanting in the least and for that I applaud it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.