Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Had to share--Death Hunt

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had to share--Death Hunt

So, I've been waiting and waiting to find either a used copy of this movie or for it to go on sale somewhere. Lo and behold, I go to do one of my periodic checks to see if there's a deal to be had and it turns out it's now out of print. Damn.

Oh well, time to start watching eBay and there's one that is under $10 on the last day of the auction so I wait and put in a bid that would have been right around $20 shipped. There is a different auction with Buy it Now for $18.99 + s/h so I didn't want too go to high but I still was hoping to at least get it for less than $20. I put in my bid with 2 seconds to go thinking I would have a shot but ultimately lost out. Damn.

So, I figure I'll just wait and hope I get lucky but just for the heck of it, I call my local(last of 4 stores remaining in the area) F.Y.E. hoping to find a used copy. No luck on a used one but they did have a new copy! Not only that, it was priced $14.99. I rush over there to pick it up and when they ring it up, it's on sale for $9.99!

Okay, maybe that isn't the greatest find there ever was but I was pretty tickled about it and although I don't have "winning the lottery" luck I have to remind myself that I do have these nice little occurrences on occasion. My Spider-Man '67 collection is very similar. I won't bore you with the details but I did feel like sharing the other story.

Anyone else got a good story or near miss?
Old 01-28-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Had to share--Death Hunt

Death Hunt with Charles Bronson & Lee Marvin?
I knew it was OOP but I still see it on ebay for $5 or little more all the time....
Old 01-28-09, 04:44 PM

Yup, Marvin/Bronson. I looked everywhere I could think to look (Wherehouse, SecondSpin, various search engines, eBay, etc.) and didn't see anything in that price range...not Region 1 anyway. There are quite a few Australian R4 versions but I wanted the R1. I have an all region player so I guess it's not a big deal but I have a mental hangup when it comes to getting the "real" version.
Old 01-28-09, 04:50 PM

I'll have to check out Death Hunt soon,It looks good....
Old 01-28-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Death Hunt is badass. It's got a killer cast (Bronson, Marvin, Carl Weathers, Ed Lauter, etc.) and it's actually a very good film. That AB disc is well worth whatever price you find it for.
Old 01-28-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I was in the exact same boat. I waited too long and now I'll most likely pay an arm and a leg.
Old 01-28-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that Australian disc is region free. I don't own it but that's what sellers are saying. Anyway, now I have to see this movie. I placed an order from https://www.devoteddvd.com.au/ and paid through Paypal. Came out to like $12US.

Last edited by Subgeniusguy; 01-28-09 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-29-09, 12:53 AM

Good score!

I have been looking for Death Hunt for a while now.
Old 01-29-09, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
I think that Australian disc is region free. I don't own it but that's what sellers are saying. Anyway, now I have to see this movie. I placed an order from https://www.devoteddvd.com.au/ and paid through Paypal. Came out to like $12US.
http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/pr...ducts_id=46702

it says right on the page that it's region 4
Old 01-29-09, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I've got it on CED videodisc, but I've never watched it.
Old 01-29-09, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up 'Death Hunt' dirt cheap on a bargain rack years ago.

I've always liked that film.
Old 01-29-09, 01:37 PM

It's actually pretty amazing how many "under the radar" movies Bronson has. I think his fame from the Death Wish series and later career cloud over some really good earlier work. I recently discovered Hard Times. It was in the bargain bin and I had no idea what it was but it was directed by Walter Hill, starred Bronson with Coburn and Jill Ireland. It was great but I never hear anyone talk about it.

Bronson is very underrated IMO and has at least 5 different movies that are really re-watchable/classics. Death Hunt, Hard Times, Breakout, Death Wish, the Mechanic and the Dirty Dozen(okay, he was just a co-star) are all movies that I'd recommend.
Old 01-29-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by moklerman
It's actually pretty amazing how many "under the radar" movies Bronson has. I think his fame from the Death Wish series and later career cloud over some really good earlier work. I recently discovered Hard Times. It was in the bargain bin and I had no idea what it was but it was directed by Walter Hill, starred Bronson with Coburn and Jill Ireland. It was great but I never hear anyone talk about it.

Bronson is very underrated IMO and has at least 5 different movies that are really re-watchable/classics. Death Hunt, Hard Times, Breakout, Death Wish, the Mechanic and the Dirty Dozen(okay, he was just a co-star) are all movies that I'd recommend.
once upon a time in the west?
Old 01-29-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Great Escape?
Old 01-29-09, 03:18 PM

once upon a time in the west?
The Great Escape?
I like 'em both but much like the Dirty Dozen I wouldn't really classify them as Bronson movies.
Old 01-29-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by moklerman

I think just about all of his pre-80s(Cannon Group) stuff is really good and worth owning. Death Hunt I believe was his last major studio film before the crappy B action movies.
Other greats
Red Sun, Telefon, From Noon Til Three, White Buffalo, Breakheart Pass, St. Ives, Valachi Papers, Stone Killer, Mr. Majestyk.

There's a western called Villa Rides! with Bronson, Yul Brynner and Robert Mitchum that's pretty good. Brynner is Pancho Villa, Bronson his right hand man, and Mitchum a pilot they capture along with his plane. The scene with Bronson giving prisoners a count of ten to escape over a wall before he shoots them is gold.
Old 01-29-09, 05:52 PM

Favorite Bronson films:

The Magnificent Seven (1960)
The Great Escape (1963)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
Chato's Land (1972)
The Mechanic (1972)
Mr. Majestyk (1974)
Death Wish (1974)
Breakheart Pass (1975)
Death Wish II (1982)
Death Wish 3 (1985)
Death Wish 4: The Crackdown (1987)
Messenger of Death (1988)
The Indian Runner (1991)
Death Wish V: The Face of Death (1994)

Want to see:

Machine-Gun Kelly (1958)
The Dirty Dozen (1967)
Violent City (1970)
Hard Times (1975)
Telefon (1977)
Love and Bullets (1979)
Death Hunt (1981)
10 to Midnight (1983)
The Evil That Men Do (1984)
Murphy's Law (1986)
Old 01-30-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I own every single Bronson film available in R1 and a couple from overseas, plus a few bootlegs.

Torchur317, from that short list the first one I'd seek out is Hard Times. It's an awesome film with a powerful performance from Bronson and a fantastic one from James Coburn. Just be aware that the only DVD available right now is full screen. The widescreen edition is OOP but can be found if you know how to look.
Old 01-30-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/pr...ducts_id=46702

it says right on the page that it's region 4
How many retailers ever have the correct region coding? It may say region 4 on the back packaging and still be region neutral. I was going by secondary sellers on Amazon and Ebay. I don't recommend region challenged DVDTalkers order until they are certain that it is region free. Soon I'll have the disc in hand and know for sure.

Not of improtance to this thread but I recently completed my anamorphic widescreen Death Wish collection. The non-US widescreen boxsets are tough to find. I bought the US Death Wish disc, the Italian part 2 (from xploited), the Dutch 3 and 4 (from proxis.com), and the German 5 (xploited again). I'm on a Bronson buying spree.

KillerCannibal, I had thought about ordering Hard Times recently so I appreciate your warning. Can you tell us more about the widescreen version of Hard Times? Was it a Columbia flipper that was discontinued or an other region release?

Last edited by Subgeniusguy; 01-30-09 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-30-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bronson's brief turn in The Indian Runner is great for the short time he's in it. I wish he did more roles like that.

Have to check out Death Hunt though (and many other Bronson movies). Bronson and Marvin in the same movie!
Old 01-31-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I seem to remember having a similar hard time finding the film on DVD back in 2007 when I realized I did not have it and wanted to see it. Luckily, Deep Discount DVD had it for $8.99 with free shipping. Now this thread reminded me how much I loved Telefon and that I also don't have it in my Bronson collection. Is THAT one out of print too?
Old 01-31-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
How many retailers ever have the correct region coding? It may say region 4 on the back packaging and still be region neutral. I was going by secondary sellers on Amazon and Ebay. I don't recommend region challenged DVDTalkers order until they are certain that it is region free. Soon I'll have the disc in hand and know for sure.

Not of improtance to this thread but I recently completed my anamorphic widescreen Death Wish collection. The non-US widescreen boxsets are tough to find. I bought the US Death Wish disc, the Italian part 2 (from xploited), the Dutch 3 and 4 (from proxis.com), and the German 5 (xploited again). I'm on a Bronson buying spree.

KillerCannibal, I had thought about ordering Hard Times recently so I appreciate your warning. Can you tell us more about the widescreen version of Hard Times? Was it a Columbia flipper that was discontinued or an other region release?
i stand corrected about the region coding:

Originally Posted by dvdcompare.net
R0 Australia - (Beyond Home Entertainment)
Subtitles:None
Aspect Ratio:1.85:1
Picture Format:Anamorphic
TV System:PAL
Soundtrack(s):English Dolby Digital 2.0 mono
Case type:Amaray (Keep) Case
Notes:Sleeve states that the disc is coded for R4, but the DVD is in fact region free.
Special thanks to Rewind user MR_DVD_MARK for providing these specifications.
Old 01-31-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lecithin
Now this thread reminded me how much I loved Telefon and that I also don't have it in my Bronson collection. Is THAT one out of print too?
Hasn't got a release yet. 1970's MGM, so Warner Brothers has it.
Old 02-01-09, 06:31 AM
Cool New Member

Since lots of non-Death Hunt movies mentioned...

Just picked up 1975's Breakout at Big Lots ($3). Did not watch yet but looks great (Duvall, Ireland, Randy Quaid, Sheree North). Says its anamorphic too.
Old 02-12-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lecithin
I seem to remember having a similar hard time finding the film on DVD back in 2007 when I realized I did not have it and wanted to see it. Luckily, Deep Discount DVD had it for $8.99 with free shipping. Now this thread reminded me how much I loved Telefon and that I also don't have it in my Bronson collection. Is THAT one out of print too?
WB releasing Telefon as double feature with St. Ives on 5/19.