Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can't get D-Digital sometimes?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Can't get D-Digital sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-00, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a Pioneer 717 dvd, hooked up with a coaxial to a Denon avr1800. Some dvd's which have the dolby digital label play d.d, but some don't. Even when I choose 5.1 in the setup on the dvd. Also, I have a dts dvd which just gets stuck on d.digital.
My Denon input is on auto, all digital outs and ons are set to 'on' on both the dvd player and the amp. The only thing I can think of is that I'm using a spare cable I had left while waiting for the real quality digital cable I've ordered. Could that be the problem or what?

Old 03-28-00, 10:53 AM

The cable isn't likely unless it is physically damaged but then it should work and not work randomly. I have the 717 but a Yamaha amp...you sound like you have every thing set correctly.

What about the Condition Memory on the 717, you haven't pressed it while on prologic on some of the discs have you and they are switching back to prologic when the movie begins? It'll say condition memory when the disc first spins.

And have you enabled DTS in the 717's setup menu?

Also...most DVD's can be switched between Dolby Digital and proglogic by pressing the Audio button on the 717's hand set. Have you tried that?

That's all I can think of right now.
Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan UK (edited March 28, 2000).]
Old 03-29-00, 09:08 AM

Yes, tried all that, except the condition memory. Didn't see it pop up though so I don't think that's the problem.
I have however heard there are some dvd's out there with the dolby digital logo on the cover that are 'fake'. Anybody else hear anything about this? Anyway, I'll just wait for the correct cable and worry about it then.

Thanx.
Old 03-29-00, 11:17 AM

Would you mind telling us what movies you are trying to watch in Dolby Digital? Just wondering, that could be your problem.
Old 03-30-00, 12:27 PM

Ahhh...some movies say dolby digital even though they are not 5.1. Even mono sound can be dolby digital encoded. If you press the display button on the 717's handset until the channel info comes up it will tell you how many channels of output you are getting.
Alan