Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you lose all respect for this singer and stop going to their shows?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Who it is doesn't matter. They're not well-known (singular person, but I'm avoiding anything that can refer to their gender ). They WANT to be well-known and had A hit, but from then on (about 25 years ago) all they do is Vegas shows.

They just released an album, and in one song they sing that they're "a person of age" with "nothing to show until now" (in a song thanking their new spouse for being in their life). They have three grown children from a previous marriage. If I was their kid, that would royally piss me off if my parent sang that they had nothing to show until they met their new spouse. What am I, chopped liver?

In another couple of songs, they tell the listener to keep looking because they'll find love after all like the singer did, and that after all that looking they finally found love. They were married over 30 years to their previous spouse. It bothers me that they are pretty much piling on on their ex-spouse... and in my opinion there's no need to lambast the parent of your children and partner of 30 years in a song.

I'm almost at the brink of never going to one of their shows and never listening to their songs again.
Old 01-26-09, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: Would you lose all respect for this singer and stop going to their shows?

Songs aren't necessarily autobiographical. Sometimes they're just songs.
Old 01-26-09, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well the song is called "Thank you (New Spouse Name)" (changed title a bit)
Old 01-26-09, 07:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm not sure why you won't just tell us who it is, considering its a public person with released albums. Then we could judge the lyrics for ourselves, rather than your interpretation of same.
Old 01-26-09, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Clint Holmes. Not sure the lyrics are available online (and there's no liner notes). Song's called Gratitude (For Kelly).

He used to be my favorite singer.
Old 01-26-09, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb

I'm almost at the brink of never going to one of their shows and never listening to their songs again.
Do you hate actors because they portray evil characters?

It's just a song. Like it. Or hate it. Then move on. There are plenty of performers I rank as my personal favorites, even though over the span of their career I may not have been completely enamored with every release.

Perhaps it's autobiographical, perhaps not. Unless the lyrics were "I want to rape babies" it seems like you're overthinking the substance of some aging Vegas hack's lyrics, in a song the singer may not have even written.

Plus, so-called love songs often are meant to hype the thrill of a new relationship, and somehow connect with listeners in an identifiable way. The impact of a love song would be less if the lyrics were:

"I love you,
but not as much as my kids,
and on a different level of emotion than my first marriage,
which lasted 30 years,
because now it's all new and I've yet to tire of
all your bad habits that I will eventually loathe".

Last edited by Pointyskull; 01-26-09 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-26-09, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terrible lyrics-I wouldn't listen to a singer who wrote should crappy material regardless of their personal life.
Old 01-26-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Do you hate actors because they portray evil characters?

It's just a song. Like it. Or hate it. Then move on. There are plenty of performers I rank as my personal favorites, even though over the span of their career I may not have been completely enamored with every release.

Perhaps it's autobiographical, perhaps not. Unless the lyrics were "I want to rape babies" it seems like you're overthinking the substance of some aging Vegas hack's lyrics, in a song the singer may not have even written.

Plus, so-called love songs often are meant to hype the thrill of a new relationship, and somehow connect with listeners in an identifiable way. The impact of a love song would be less if the lyrics were:

"I love you,
but not as much as my kids,
and on a different level of emotion than my first marriage,
which lasted 30 years,
because now it's all new and I've yet to tire of
all your bad habits that I will eventually loathe".
+1

I was hoping someone hadn't yet created their own set of lyrics to illustrate the point!

This thread is absurd.
Old 01-26-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would write a polite but firm letter to the singer and his management to express my disappointment. Then I would burn the letter and find something more important to worry about.
Old 01-26-09, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Oh, hell, I'll play. Does the OP know the singer's ex-wife or kids somehow? Because if she did, then I can understand taking this sort of thing personally. Otherwise, it's a song by a singer. Plenty of people have failed marriages and also fail their kids from that marriage--usually the cause of one relationship collapse spills over. They often connect more easily to kids from a subsequent, happier relationship for various reasons. I know my dad and I have never had much of a relationship, whereas my younger brother and he have often been fairly close. He was an infant at the time of our parents' divorce, so he doesn't remember that period. It's life. You get angry, you get sad, you throw things, you move on. Note, you do those things when it actually involves you.
Old 01-26-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

man, John Lennon was so evil with his love songs to Yoko, and Beautiful Boy? what a slap to Julian!! LOL
Old 01-26-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who?
Old 01-26-09, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Who?
You know, John Holmes musical little brother Clint.
Old 01-26-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

speaking of Clint Holmes. I remember on another message board, someone was looking for the singer of Playground Of My Mind and people thought someone was writing a mock Michael Jackson song, LOL
Old 01-26-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I guess you don't listen to The Misfits much then? haha...
Old 01-26-09, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I thought they killed babies and raped mothers.
Old 01-26-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

That's our Deb!
Old 01-27-09, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I never said lyrics bother me...
Old 01-27-09, 07:52 AM

Whether or not you choose to continue to support an artist is completely up to you for your reasons - if their lyrics (such as they are) no longer say anything to you move on - if the singer is at a point where he wants to celebrate his current position in life that's his decision - whether you want to listen or not is yours, but none of that changes what has come before. I'm a huge Who fan and have been for most of my life and it kills me that so much of the music i love is WHOred out for advertising - I lost it last week when i heard My Generation used in a pepsi commercial - driving to work today, i was listening to the Who - the music is still there, still the same and as much as i hate to see it used to shill soft drinks i will always have a place for it...on the other hand, author Dennis Lehane alienated a large portion of his fan base by dismissing his earlier novels, the same books that brought him a large fan base - in all likliehood, i will reread them later this year but it would take a lot for me to pick up a new novel from him - just a personal choice.

What are your feelings on Tom Cruise? His adopted children have all but disappeared and his natural one is featured weekly on People for Infants and Tots - they are never mentioned, never referenced and Suri is a trendsetter for Generation Z.
Old 01-27-09, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Oh, hell, I'll play. Does the OP know the singer's ex-wife or kids somehow? Because if she did, then I can understand taking this sort of thing personally.
Scotty Doesn't Know
Old 01-27-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

No, I would not.
Old 01-27-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yojimbo44
Whether or not you choose to continue to support an artist is completely up to you for your reasons - if their lyrics (such as they are) no longer say anything to you move on - if the singer is at a point where he wants to celebrate his current position in life that's his decision - whether you want to listen or not is yours, but none of that changes what has come before. I'm a huge Who fan and have been for most of my life and it kills me that so much of the music i love is WHOred out for advertising - I lost it last week when i heard My Generation used in a pepsi commercial - driving to work today, i was listening to the Who - the music is still there, still the same and as much as i hate to see it used to shill soft drinks i will always have a place for it...on the other hand, author Dennis Lehane alienated a large portion of his fan base by dismissing his earlier novels, the same books that brought him a large fan base - in all likliehood, i will reread them later this year but it would take a lot for me to pick up a new novel from him - just a personal choice.

What are your feelings on Tom Cruise? His adopted children have all but disappeared and his natural one is featured weekly on People for Infants and Tots - they are never mentioned, never referenced and Suri is a trendsetter for Generation Z.

I feel the same way about The Who. Oh well.
Old 01-27-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by yojimbo44
I agree, good example!!

I'd also love to hear the OP's opinion on John Lennon. He had many love songs to Yoko (Woman, Oh Yoko, Dear Yoko...) and to top that off, he also did Beautiful Boy for Sean, his second wife and the son from that marriage.

How about Madonna's songs that her life was empty before her daughter was born. Was that a slap in the face to Sean Penn or what? LOL
Old 01-27-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She delivers in each and every forum!
Old 01-27-09, 04:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
How about Madonna's songs that her life was empty before her daughter was born. Was that a slap in the face to Sean Penn or what? LOL
Don't forget Vanilla Ice and Dennis Rodman!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.