Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region-Free Blu-ray players?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking to get region-free blu-ray player... what are the best ones and what are the most inexpensive? Any of them play PAL discs?

Any suggestions on where to start?
Old 01-25-09, 04:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Region-Free Blu-ray players?

There is only one - LG BH200. Every other one requires you to send it to someone to mod and make it Region Free. However, all PC Blu-ray drives will play any Region Blu-ray as well.
Old 01-25-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
There is only one - LG BH200. Every other one requires you to send it to someone to mod and make it Region Free. However, all PC Blu-ray drives will play any Region Blu-ray as well.
I was afraid that was the only one. Any online place still sell it?
Old 01-25-09, 05:28 PM
Suspended

eBay...

Typically goes for $300ish
Old 01-25-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I was really counting on the forthcoming Oppo to be region-free but all signs seem to point to it not even being region-free for DVD or Blu-Ray.

Don't really want the LG as I am not fond of their gear. I may have to look into the PC drive solution. Stuff like Leon, Fight Club and Taken are really making me want region-free.
Old 01-26-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are more than just the LG to choose from. Try here:http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/m...dvd_player.htm They are a little pricey & may or may not require a converter depending on your setup but at least you have a few more options available to you.

Last edited by buckee1; 01-26-09 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-26-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I was really counting on the forthcoming Oppo to be region-free but all signs seem to point to it not even being region-free for DVD or Blu-Ray.
Really? That's terrible news if true. I was really counting on getting an Oppo player as backup to my PS3 and for whatever non-Region A discs I want to get.
Old 01-26-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by buckee1
There are more than just the LG to choose from. Try here:http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/m...dvd_player.htm They are a little pricey & may r may not require a converter depending on your setup but at least you have a few more options available to you.
Yes but those are what Gizmo was talking about. They are European players modded to play other regions.There's a local shop here in the Chicago burbs that also sells modded players for a little cheaper than that site. Warranty support is probably iffy on those as the box has been opened and modified.

The LG was able to be made region-free through a software hack.
Old 01-26-09, 11:39 AM

Gotcha.
Old 01-26-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Really? That's terrible news if true. I was really counting on getting an Oppo player as backup to my PS3 and for whatever non-Region A discs I want to get.
There's a long-running thread at AVS about the player, and many beta testers have confirmed the inability to make it region-free for DVD or BD. I guess the BDA is playing hardball on giving them the license they need to make players. I suspect this news may have even spiked the demand for whatever BH200's could still be found.

I still kind of have my fingers crossed that someone will still figure out a hack, but so far even discussion of region-free has been forbidden in the AVS thread.

I'm sure the Oppo will be a top notch BD player, and if I didn't have any players I would get one. But I already have 3 players for Region A discs and I have an Oppo DVD player for all my DVD's which is region-free, so I really have no need for their player at this time. I'm sure Oppo knows how much prospective business they are losing over this but it must not be worth it to them to piss off the BDA and have their license revoked.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 01-26-09 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-26-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for clearing all that up, bunkaroo. That's terrible news if true. I too hope that they manage to make it region free as that's the only reason I'd get it. I want to give my PS3 a break from Blu-Ray duties and just leave it as a game machine. I was looking to the Oppo as the replacement I was looking for.

How did Oppo manage to make their DVD players region free and not lose their DVD license? Perhaps they can manage a similar strategy?

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-26-09 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 01:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
There's a long-running thread at AVS about the player, and many beta testers have confirmed the inability to make it region-free for DVD or BD. I guess the BDA is playing hardball on giving them the license they need to make players. I suspect this news may have even spiked the demand for whatever BH200's could still be found.

I still kind of have my fingers crossed that someone will still figure out a hack, but so far even discussion of region-free has been forbidden in the AVS thread.

I'm sure the Oppo will be a top notch BD player, and if I didn't have any players I would get one. But I already have 3 players for Region A discs and I have an Oppo DVD player for all my DVD's which is region-free, so I really have no need for their player at this time. I'm sure Oppo knows how much prospective business they are losing over this but it must not be worth it to them to piss off the BDA and have their license revoked.
Makes my army of LG BH200's even more valuable...mwuahaha!
Old 01-26-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Makes my army of LG BH200's even more valuable...mwuahaha!
I hope you choke on them!!!!

Old 01-26-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why do I suddenly get a Dr. Evil* vibe from GizmoDVD?

Originally Posted by *
Holding all the LG BH200's in the world for ransom doesn't quite qualify him for Blofeld status.
Old 01-27-09, 07:21 AM

It's the three testicles, I'm sure.
Old 01-27-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm. Never thought of that. Then again, I've never wanted to think about Gizmo's testicles. Now, thanks to you, I have. Thanks a lot, Qui Gon Jim.
Old 01-27-09, 03:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Hmm. Never thought of that. Then again, I've never wanted to think about Gizmo's testicles. Now, thanks to you, I have. Thanks a lot, Qui Gon Jim.
You need pics? PMed you.
Old 01-27-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank heavens you're joking! You are joking, right?

I'm scared...
Old 07-22-10, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I was wondering if any of you had advice on purchasing a region free player. Currently, what is the best one on the market and what's a safe place to buy it from? A lot of the sites that pop up when I researched on Google seemed really sketchy.
Old 07-22-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get a modded Oppo from eBay.
Old 07-22-10, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
Get a modded Oppo from eBay.
...or elsewhere for less money. I bought a modded BDP-83 for $559, which is less than I would've paid to buy an unmodded one and modify it myself. The modded ones on eBay sometimes go for silly money. I guess some buyers just don't know any better or don't want to take the time to comparison shop.

Alternatively, you can buy a BDP-80 (or 83) unmodded, and buy the inexpensive hardware mod (by itself) on eBay and install it yourself. No soldering required. You just basically unplug a couple wires inside and plug them into the upgrade. I saw the BDP80 mod selling for about $50 and the BDP83 one selling for about $75, I think.

If you shop around like I did, though, you can still get one pre-modded for the same price (or less) than buying the separate one and installing yourself.

But yes, now that the mods are available, I think the best route to go for anyone wanting to play all DVD/BR regions would be an Oppo. You just have to decide which one is the best for your situation.

Last edited by mythmaker18; 07-22-10 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-22-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard there's a Sherwood player available on Amazon which is a clone of the Momitsu region-free player that DVD Beaver uses. Goes for around $150.
Old 07-22-10, 12:32 PM

^ I have that one and it plays everything ! Sherwood BDP 5004
Old 07-22-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Oppo has become my primary player so it was worth it to me to mod it. I figured if I bought something like the Sherwood I'd only use it for region-free, and I'd use my BD30 or PS3 for all other Blu. But the Oppo is as good, if not better player than every other player I have so it made the choice easy.
Old 07-22-10, 12:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I have the Curtis Mathes CMMBX 130 which like the Sherwood, is a clone of the Momitsu. Plays everything just fine, region free for both BD and DVD. I pretty much play everything through that player and give the PS3 a much needed break.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.