Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else ordered: The Stewardesses 3D: 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition ?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And if you have ordered this set from late-sixties, how many of you have witnessed this film in an actual cinema?

Offical Website: http://www.thestewardesses.com/

My hand is up!!!
Old 01-24-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Has anyone else ordered: The Stewardesses 3D: 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition ?

Yes, I have.

and No, I haven't.
Old 01-24-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Has anyone else ordered: The Stewardesses 3D: 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition ?

TheDoug, since you seem to work for Shout! Factory, could you give us the scoop on extras for the upcoming Johnny Got His Gun disc? Much obliged.
Old 01-24-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't ordered it, but I will.

I've never seen it period.
Old 01-24-09, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
TheDoug, since you seem to work for Shout! Factory, could you give us the scoop on extras for the upcoming Johnny Got His Gun disc? Much obliged.
Even though I'm counting down to the dvd release of the soft-core 3-D dvd released by Shout! I in fact don't have any connection to them. Having lived through the seventies (a great film period) I have fond rememberances of not only those films put out by Coppola, Scorcese and Cimino et al. but witnessed such exploitation fare as "The Stewardesses", Arch Obler's "The Bubble" and the re-release of "House of Wax" in 3-D. So, it is in a purely nostalgic way that I've been highlighting as it because of its campy quality. I've always had a softspot for 3-D films, no matter the content.

Ironically, JOHNNY GOT HIS GUN comes from this same period, and even the Shout website doesn't even give details of the April 28, 2009 release. I know there have been both a German and Australian copies available, and more information on both these releases can be found here, http://variagate.com/johnny.htm. I hope this helps.

Last edited by TheDoug; 01-24-09 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-24-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Yes, I have.

and No, I haven't.
Ditto
Old 01-26-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the movie in an early 1980's re-issue and again (in restored, digitally projected form) at the 2006 World 3-D Expo II, both in polarized (clear glasses) form.

It's not a very good movie at all, but it is interesting in context.

I wish the new DVD contained a better 3-D version than the two anaglyphic (red/cyan) conversions, as they always pale in comparison to the original 3-D. Even the 20 year old VHS was in field sequential 3-D! I'll stick to it for watching the film, but I picked up the new disc for the extra features.
Old 01-26-09, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
I saw the movie in an early 1980's re-issue and again (in restored, digitally projected form) at the 2006 World 3-D Expo II, both in polarized (clear glasses) form.

It's not a very good movie at all, but it is interesting in context.

I wish the new DVD contained a better 3-D version than the two anaglyphic (red/cyan) conversions, as they always pale in comparison to the original 3-D. Even the 20 year old VHS was in field sequential 3-D! I'll stick to it for watching the film, but I picked up the new disc for the extra features.
It's nice to see someone who appreciates this ever evolving media form, which is finally getting some form of legitimacy via the major studios and as well as the IMAX formatted features/shorts etc. I agree with you that the polarized format is the better of the two processes to utilize when viewing this type of production. I once was a member of the International Stereoscoptic Union a few years ago but strayed away from becoming a true stereoscopic geek and focused my time and income on other forms of dvd diversions. Here's a nice website that lists extensively the many types of 3-D based films released in years past:
http://www.3dmovielist.com/list.html
Old 01-26-09, 11:03 PM

I'm a big fan of 3D movies and pictures myself. I've owned two Loreos so far, and am thinking about getting one of their adapters for a digital camera. I just need to read some more reviews. Is a Loreo video camera adapter to far off!?!
Old 01-27-09, 01:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm a tad annoyed with Amazon, even though they gave me a promo certificate of 5 dollars over this discrepency, they originally charged me 22.49 dollars for the disc (pre-order price), even though as of today, it's now down to $18.49

Old 01-27-09, 03:30 PM

I ordered it today, I love 3D movies. I'm sure the red/green thing will be poor, but without spending a bundle it's the only way you can see 3D at home. Besides, Journey to the Center of the Earth DVD wasn't too bad in 3D.

Looking forward to a review here.

Gil
Old 01-27-09, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
I'm a tad annoyed with Amazon, even though they gave me a promo certificate of 5 dollars over this discrepency, they originally charged me 22.49 dollars for the disc (pre-order price), even though as of today, it's now down to $18.49

Sorry to hear about that price discrepency. In the past, any Amazon adjustments or credits have been done on-line before they shipped the item. I ended up ordering this dvd from DeepDiscount
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...uctId=59464120 for $16.91 which included postage!!!

I'm also hoping someone in the DVD Talk review section reviews this as well!
Old 01-28-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles

I got an email today saying that they've given me a $4 refund.

Watched a little bit of the movie to check it out. Even the menus are in 3D. Nice touch.
Old 01-28-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered this from DD as well. It hasn't shipped, though.
Old 01-31-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just got around to watching this. I agree with the DVDTalk review, watching the B&W version is a much better 3D experience. I'd definitely recommend watching that version first.
Old 01-31-09, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
I ordered this from DD as well. It hasn't shipped, though.
They told me that by Monday February 2, 2009 they'd finally ship out their promised orders. Better late than never I guess!!!
Old 01-31-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheDoug
They told me that by Monday February 2, 2009 they'd finally ship out their promised orders. Better late than never I guess!!!
Cool, thanks for the update!