Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek -- TOS Movies & TOS Season One: Norway May 13 (US May 12?)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://blogs.indystar.com/geek/2009/...rek_on_bl.html

(Original Norwegian link: http://www.release.no/artikkel.asp?ID=5546 )

Are you a fan of Star Trek? Do you speak Norwegian? If you answered "yes" to both questions, you're in luck.

A Norwegian Web site has said that Paramount intends to release a set of the first three 'Star Trek' movies on Blu-ray on May 13, along with the Blu-ray debut of the remastered/redone first season of The Original Series that was released on HD DVD.

Unfortunately, the only Norwegian I know is "Hvordan har du det?" (How are you?), which a friend in college kept practicing over and over so he could hit on a girl from Norway. According to the (incredibly rough) translation provided by a non-Babel Fish site, the first three movies will also be available individually, as well as the fourth and sixth movies.

While that sort of makes sense, it actually doesn't, as the only real "trilogy" that could be cut out of the 10 movies is ST 2-3-4, as they deal with an over-arching plot thread. The first movie really doesn't have anything to do with the second or third from a plot or style standpoint.

If Paramount is planning to release these in Normay in May to tie in with the new movie, odds are we will be getting them here in the U.S. as well at about the same time.

Hopefully the Season 1 set will keep the packaging shown on the Norwegian site (duplicated at left), as the special yellow/blue/red cases Paramount has used to hold TOS on DVD before leave a lot to be desired. In this case, a step back in style is actually a step forward.

We will probably be hearing more from Paramount in February, though they may hold off until March's Game Developers Conference where they can tie it in with a sneak preview of the upcoming 'Star Trek' massively-multiplayer online game.

Old 01-22-09, 09:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Star Trek -- TOS Movies & TOS Season One: Norway May 13 (US May 12?)

An American release is coming as well for everything mentioned above roughly the same time.
Old 01-22-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope we don't get a "trilogy" box set.

I've played the game with Paramount before and I won't do it again. They'll probably release the first three movies, then a set with four movies, then five ....

I'm just waiting for the whole thing. I will pick up TOS asap though. Havn't seen classic Trek it in over a decade!
Old 01-22-09, 10:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I hope we don't get a "trilogy" box set.

I've played the game with Paramount before and I won't do it again. They'll probably release the first three movies, then a set with four movies, then five ....

I'm just waiting for the whole thing. I will pick up TOS asap though. Havn't seen classic Trek it in over a decade!
Like Godfather, I doubt paramount will release them individually. Force us to buy the stinkers to get to the good ones
Old 01-22-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Like Godfather, I doubt paramount will release them individually. Force us to buy the stinkers to get to the good ones
I don't know... they, apparently, aren't even including Star Trek 5 in this release, let alone bundled with anything else.

Bad move, if you ask me. Since they are including 6, the absence of 5 will draw attention to itself and make it look disowned and disrespected by the studio. I think the best thing for Paramount's reputation would be to just quietly put it out there with the rest of them and then move on.
Old 01-22-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So the classic Trek logo that was only used for the TV show is on the "trilogy" box art?
And a new logo, that is similar to the ones used for the feature films is being used for the Tv show box art?

Yeah, STUPID!

Plus, trilogy? Just because it was the first three films (out of 6, 7 if you count Generations, and 10 if you count them all) doesn't make it a trilogy. Especially when you consider how tightly the stories of part 3 and 4 run together. If there is any trilogy in the Star Trek series it would be 2-4. Leaving out part 5 is stupid, It's NOT THAT BAD!
If WB can have Batman and Robin in a boxset with Batman and Batman Returns, then
they can have Star Trek 5 in this one!
Old 01-22-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Individually ... nope. What they'll do is release two three packs for the original crew, or keep releasing the boxsets with one more title each year. In a few years we'll see all of the theatrical films in one giant box. That is what I've come to expect from Paramount when it comes to Star Trek.
Old 01-23-09, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
So the classic Trek logo that was only used for the TV show is on the "trilogy" box art?
And a new logo, that is similar to the ones used for the feature films is being used for the Tv show box art?

Yeah, STUPID!
At the risk of revealing myself as die-hard trekkie, you are mistaken. The insignia used on the season one box is as "old school" as it gets in Star Trek. That is nothing more than a stylized version of the original Star Fleet uniform insignia, and features the command device in the interior, as worn by Captain Kirk (along with the sciences and engineering insignias, pictured here):

Old 01-23-09, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Those are two really *blah* covers.
Old 01-23-09, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
At the risk of revealing myself as die-hard trekkie, you are mistaken. The insignia used on the season one box is as "old school" as it gets in Star Trek. That is nothing more than a stylized version of the original Star Fleet uniform insignia, and features the command device in the interior, as worn by Captain Kirk (along with the sciences and engineering insignias, pictured here):

Geek!
Old 01-23-09, 08:22 AM

The information is provided by Paramount Home Entertainment (the Norwegian division).

The marketing manager also says they're planning a new wave of Star Trek on BD when the new movie hits DVD and Blu-ray in late summer/early fall.
Old 01-23-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad

By Logo, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the font of the title Star Trek. I would have said insignia if i was talking about the Insignia.
Old 01-23-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Hmm right after I bought TOS remastered set during DD's 20% sale. Though a Blu release would solve the flipper problem I dislike. Having both types of episodes is nice too, but I wonder how much it will cost

Last edited by stingermck; 01-23-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-24-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I think not releasing part 5 is dumb, they should release the first 6 movies in one box set like they did with the 2 disc special editions of the first 6 films.

Unlike most people I liked part 5.