Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Saw V

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw V

I don't think a thread was made for this one. I bought this tonight but haven't watched it yet. I hated part 3, but enjoyed 4, so I'm giving this one a shot.

One thing I love about the packaging is that LionsGate finally got rid of the bottom security sticker. Which most of the time gets stuck to the cover.

Has anyone watched this yet? How's the audio/video?
Old 01-22-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Saw V

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I don't think a thread was made for this one. I bought this tonight but haven't watched it yet. I hated part 3, but enjoyed 4, so I'm giving this one a shot.

One thing I love about the packaging is that LionsGate finally got rid of the bottom security sticker. Which most of the time gets stuck to the cover.

Has anyone watched this yet? How's the audio/video?
FYI, it's still present on the regular dvd, so they might not have gotten rid of it.
Old 01-22-09, 09:21 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm gonna tackle this film later this week. I've enjoyed all the Saw films except the first so hopefully V is decent.
Old 01-22-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just watched it. The audio/video is excellent. There were a few scenes that were a bit grainy, but given the style of the film I think it was intentional.
Old 01-22-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked this up on release date, I'm gonna be watching this weekend. I saw it in theaters, and for a 5th film in a franchise, its good.
Old 01-23-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'm gonna tackle this film later this week. I've enjoyed all the Saw films except the first so hopefully V is decent.
Really? You disliked the first one, but enjoyed the others??
First time I have heard of someone with that opinion, very interesting....while Cary Elwes acting was kind of suspect, I think the first one is the best (and I just wish Lionsgate would re-release it onto Blu-ray with the uncut version and all the DVD extras....)

I am hoping my preorder (from last months CH B1G1) of Saw V (which I also have not yet seen) arrives tomorrow!
Old 01-23-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I loved the first and thought it's gotten a bit worse with every sequel. I haven't watched V yet but just bought it today on Blu-ray and hope to watch it soon.
Old 01-23-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to wait for this one to hit under $20. The entire film exists simply to explain what the hell happened in Saw IV. While it was better than IV it still wasn't as good as the first 3 flicks.
Old 01-23-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm going to wait for this one to hit under $20. The entire film exists simply to explain what the hell happened in Saw IV. While it was better than IV it still wasn't as good as the first 3 flicks.
Clearly this is a CH BOGO title.
Old 01-23-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That's kinda part of why I love the series so much. Each one answers some questions, and opens up some new ones. I got a feeling it will all come together in the end.
Old 01-24-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
That's kinda part of why I love the series so much. Each one answers some questions, and opens up some new ones. I got a feeling it will all come together in the end.
That, or they'll start making VI and realize they don't know how to make it all tie together and make sense. I'm hoping for the former but, based on the new writing team thus far, expecting the latter.
Old 01-24-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw VI is planned for a 10/23/09 release. Filming begins in March, per IMDB.
Old 01-24-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked Saw V. The audio is really good, video is good but I expected it to be a lot better. The extras are slim this time. Good com track with Hackl.
Old 01-24-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Saw V is one of those movies that more people will like after seeing VI. The group of 5 is going to be explained more in VI, so it will make that plotline seem a little less pointless.

I have a feeling that Saw VI will answer a lot of questions and seal up the Hoffman arc nicely.
Old 01-25-09, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought Saw IV was the best of the sequels. I thought it was both clever, well (enough) acted, and had some particularly awesome traps. This one was the first one I thought felt pretty routine, like they only made it to crank a new one out, but I'm still hoping VI comes to some sort of grand conclusion (even if it isn't a true conclusion, given that this is the most profitable horror franchise of all time).

I imagine even if LGF pushes forward with more Saws post-VI, all of the regulars (Hackl, Greutert, Clouser, Armstrong, Wan, Whannell, and, while he may already be gone, Bousman) will probably ditch the series at that point.

However, I saw this one three times in theaters with various friends (twice for free, once for two bucks, in case you're wondering why I saw my least favorite Saw film multiple times) and watching it on DVD, this is the first time I noticed a marked improvement in the theatrical-to-unrated-director's-cut. One of the biggest improvements is there are less of the shutter-cut-push-ins that started to drive me nuts in the theater -- many seemed to be placed to cut out gore. Additionally, I felt the director's cut pandered a little less to the audience; there are some scenes missing that were clearly designed to help "remind" the probably less fanatical audience what was going on from previous chapters, and other bits were re-ordered.
Old 01-26-09, 10:38 AM
Banned

I want to know what is going to be in the box, that he had left to his ex-wife!
Old 01-26-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My guess:

Spoiler:
It's a box full of audio tapes, meaning we can look forward to Saw XXIII in 2026!
Old 01-26-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

My guess:

Spoiler:
It's a box full of audio tapes, meaning we can look forward to Saw XXIII in 2026!
Spoiler:
It's the script to the sequel to Repo. Hence the look on her face upon opening the box.