Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

TOSHIBA SD-5109 Progressive Scan---anyone have one? What do you think?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TOSHIBA SD-5109 Progressive Scan---anyone have one? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-00, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My next TV will be progressive-scan compatible (just not sure which one yet). As for players, this Tosh is the least expensive prog-compatible---does it output 480p for 16:9 and 4:3? Tell me your opinions pleeze!!!

------------------
Inching ever closer to the 1000 post club...
Old 03-26-00, 06:50 AM

I have a Toshiba SD5109 and its picture is perfect. I'm waiting for my friend to buy the SD3109 so we can put them side by side for a "blind" test to see if we can see any difference. (The blindfold will be removed for the actual comparison, of course.)

I'm not sure if there will be a difference. First of all, the TV(Tosh TW65X81)upconverts all 480i signals to 480p internally anyway, which is the exact same thing the SD5109 does before sending the signal out. I have heard that upconverting at the dvd player avoids having to redigitize the signal in the tv and then back to analog for display, resulting in a more stable image, but I cannot confirm this until I test them together.

Old 03-26-00, 09:35 AM

I just recently picked up the 5109 and think that it is a great player, but just the beginning of things to come. The only reason to buy this player is for the progressive output and only if you have a progressive compatible set now (or the very near future).
The 5109 is a bargain at its price, but we need to remember that this is the first generation of progressive players. Things are going to only get better in next years models and if you can wait, it will likely be worth it.

I have a 16:9 set, so I don't know whether it will output 480p on 4:3. I suspect that it would work on 4:3, but don't rely on me. The thing to remember is that unless you get a Toshiba HD-ready set, your set is only to lock into anamorphic mode on a 480p signal. The 5109 cannot compensate for non-anamorphic disks and your proogressive image will be distorted, for non-anamorphic disks.

This also isn't that big a deal, just means that I use the s-vid connection for non-anamorphic disks.

As for the sets internal line doubler, don't count too much on it. The 5109 will blow away almost all the build-in line doublers on the market. So while a sets doubler may give you a 480p signal from a 480i signal, the native 480p signal from the 5109 will win hands down.

If you want the best picture you can get now and have a progressive compatible set now, then get the 5109. But be ready for better players to be on the market before the end of the year.
Old 03-27-00, 05:36 PM

I've got a 5109, and I love it. I had a 3109 and there is a noticable improvement, especially on medium quality movies. Not that the 3109 was bad, it's a very good player.

Toshiba has announced they will be producing 2 new prog scan players this year. Some have said they're still going to make the 5109, which means the new players would likely be more expensive (unless they drop the price of the 5109).

If you want a prog scan player now, go for the 5109, I don't think anything else in it's price range will come close in picture quality. If you can wait, then the next generation of players will no doubt be spectacular.