Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need input? Can I get a better picture out of this???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 03:28 PM
STC
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I finally upgraded to Blu Ray from a 1080i upconvert Phillips DVD player!!

I got the Sony BDP-BX1 Blu Ray player from Costco. Awesome player so far. 2 yrs ago I bought a Philips 47" 1080p LCD 47PF9441D that can not accept 1080p input, didnt bother me that much back then because I got a sweet deal on it. I totally forgot about this until yesterday.

I set up my BR player and all is well, until we get to the mode screen. It wont confirm 1080p, but will confirm 1080i. My wife and I think for a min, then it hit us at the same time. Crap! Could it be the TV? After some quick research we rediscovered that our TV cant accept 1080p inputs.

I popped in the Iron Man BR disc, it looks pretty good, much better then the upconvert, but not as "breathtaking" as I've seen at retail stores and at friends houses. Up close it looks really good, but we dont sit a foot away from the screen.

Is there anything I can do to make it look "better". Overall Im very happy w/ the Blu Ray player, now I just think my TV sucks.

Last edited by STC; 01-19-09 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Need input? Can I get a better picture out of this???

What seems to be missing from your setup that isn't "breathtaking"? I wonder if it isn't just a placebo effect, knowing that you aren't seeing the full resolution available. The TVs at stores have overcranked their settings (color, contrast, etc) to make the picture "pop" but it isn't necessarily right for viewing most movies. And it's possible that your friend's setups are the same way.
Old 01-19-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree. Have you run a calibration disc or test screens to set up your TV properly? I have a front projector that is only 720p but other than resolution it still kicks ass on Blu-ray discs.
Old 01-19-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

If your TV properly de-interlaces the 1080i input signal from your Blu-ray player to display it at 1080p, then what you end up seeing should theoretically be identical to a direct 1080p to 1080p setup.

That being said, many TVs from two or three years ago do not de-interlace properly and some Blu-ray players may not extract the interlaced fields correctly from the 1080p24 source (don't really know about yours), causing artifacts or slight image degradation. I still think that's preferable to the loss of source resolution you'd get by setting your Blu-ray player to output 720p and letting your TV upscale it.

My recommendations would be to set your Blu-ray player to output 1080i, calibrate your TV using a calibration disc, and enjoy the gorgeous image!
Old 01-19-09, 06:50 PM
STC
Cool New Member

My TV is set currently set to 1080i. Where can I get a calibration disc. The 1st time I got this TV I used "The Incredibles" calibration tool to calibrate it.
Old 01-19-09, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazon. Search for "DVE blu-ray".

Or go to AVS and download their iso file and burn your own DVD. I haven't tried this yet, but the price is right.
Old 01-19-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What cable is being used to connect the player to the tv?
Old 01-20-09, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Your wrong about your set not accepting 1080p signals. It's perfectly capable of doing 1080p, its the displays native res. I've looked it up 4 different places all report 1080p.

Anyway how do you have it hooked up to the display. If you mean it can't display 1080p over component cables then stop using component and start using hdmi. Make sure also the blu ray player is set to output 1080p in its menu. Lots of players have options for what they should output.
Old 01-20-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Your wrong about your set not accepting 1080p signals. It's perfectly capable of doing 1080p, its the displays native res. I've looked it up 4 different places all report 1080p.
No, you're the one who is mistaken. You're confusing the type of signal the TV is capable of receiving vs. what it is capable of displaying. This TV has a native resolution of 1080p, but it cannot accept a 1080p signal. It is limited to 1080i, which it then converts to 1080p for display.
Old 01-20-09, 01:03 PM
STC
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Spiky
Amazon. Search for "DVE blu-ray".

Or go to AVS and download their iso file and burn your own DVD. I haven't tried this yet, but the price is right.
Cool I burned AVS HD 709. Its a nice tool, but when using it. Almost all my settings were correct.

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
What cable is being used to connect the player to the tv?
HDMI.

Originally Posted by hdtv00

Anyway how do you have it hooked up to the display. If you mean it can't display 1080p over component cables then stop using component and start using hdmi. Make sure also the blu ray player is set to output 1080p in its menu. Lots of players have options for what they should output.
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
No, you're the one who is mistaken. You're confusing the type of signal the TV is capable of receiving vs. what it is capable of displaying. This TV has a native resolution of 1080p, but it cannot accept a 1080p signal. It is limited to 1080i, which it then converts to 1080p for display.
I wish I was wrong hdtv00. Thx Salty.

I called Costco just for the hell of it and found out I bought the TV 3 weeks before the new return policy took affect. According to the mgr on duty who looked up my account and the ticket # of the TV it says "OK TO RETURN".

I'll be returning this TV to Costco and probably getting the Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p LC-52D82U or the Sony Bravia 52" 1080p KDL52S4100. What do you guys suggest?