Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Color Distortion on my dvd player whats wrong?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Color Distortion on my dvd player whats wrong?

Old 03-24-00, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a Toshiba 3109 and i watched bone collector sometimes it appeared light and sometimes dark through the whole movie, the only reason i can think of that it does this is i hooked my dvd player to my vcr in components.

if i got a reciever would it correct this problem?

i have an old big screen tv and it does not have hookups so someway somehow i gotta make it so the picture is the same

please help
Old 03-24-00, 03:13 PM

Sounds somewhat like macrovision coming on and off in pulses..
Old 03-24-00, 03:17 PM

so will my reciever cure this problem once it arrives?
Old 03-24-00, 04:24 PM
gt1

Getting a receiver won't quite fix the problem. You still need some way to hook up the video to your tv. If your tv only has a coax input then your going to need something other then your vcr to convert the composite out of your dvd player to the coax in on your tv. I forget the name of the converters but it's been discussed quite a bit before, so try searching for vcr and macrovision.
Old 03-24-00, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go to Radio Shack and buy an RF modulator for $25. It will connect your DVD output to the TV's antenna input.
Old 03-25-00, 02:15 AM

Dr DVD, what you may be running into is the copy protection on the DVD. In past experiences with VCRs hooked up to one another this activates the copy protecting on VHS tapes resulting in very dark screens for a time interval, followed by a light screen for a short period.

I also know many model DVDplayers will not work when hooked up via VCR. I take it you have it hooked through your VCR because your TV has no RCA(yellow, red and white) inputs.

As far as the Video goes, you could try to get an RF to RCA(analog) converter piece, although I hear Radio Shack is on short supply following last x-mas.

the only surefire solution I belive is to purchase a new TV with the proper inputs on it.

Hope all this rambling helps