Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Panasonic introduces first portable BD player

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-16-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...72009023514268

PANASONIC INTRODUCES WORLD’S FIRST PORTABLE BLU-RAY PLAYER

Innovative Player Features BD Live and VIERA CASTŪ Internet Accessibility

LAS VEGAS, NV (January 7, 2009) – Panasonic, a major developer and contributor to the success of the Blu-ray format, introduced the world’s first portable Blu-ray Disc player at the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show. The DMP-B15, designed to provide the ultimate high definition Blu-ray experience for those on the go, features a high quality 8.9-inch WSVGA LCD screen and includes the unique VIERA CAST™ internet accessibility and BD Live functionality. The DMP-B15 will be available in May.

The DMP-B15 provides all the technology found in its stand alone brethren, the DMP-BD60, DMP-BD80 and the VHS-Blu-ray dual player DMP-BD70V. Image quality is of the highest level, thanks to PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus technology developed in collaboration with Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory.

“As a pioneer in the development of DVD and Blu-ray expertise, Panasonic has always been in the forefront of cutting edge, consumer friendly technology. Panasonic was the first company to bring to market a portable DVD player and stand alone Blu-ray players to feature Bonus View and BD Live,” said Richard Simone, Director, Entertainment Group, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. “Blu-ray technology came together with HDTVs to bring exciting High Definition viewing into the living room. With the introduction of this unique portable Blu-ray Disc player, the consumer can take this HD entertainment experience when they travel.”

The PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus is a high quality image-processing technology that precisely processes each pixel of the Blu-ray Disc™ video signal in the vertical direction. It reproduces color data with twice the accuracy of conventional systems, resulting in faithful and sharp colors.

Ease of use is an important element in Panasonic’s products and the DMP-B15, with a three hour rechargeable battery, is designed with that in mind. In addition to its use as a portable player, the consumer can connect it to an HDTV via HDMI cable, and use it as a standalone Blu-ray Disc player. The player can also be connected to an HD-Audio compatible AV receiver with a home theater speaker system and enjoy movies with outstanding surround sound. To accommodate the traveler, the DMP-B15 offers an optional headrest mounting bracket for in-car use. Like all Panasonic Blu-ray players, the B15 features an SD Memory Card slot that allows the consumer to view and share digital photos, as well as HD video recorded on a SD card.

For 2009, Panasonic’s entire line of Blu-ray players includes VIERA CAST functionality. This unique application gives the consumer access to select entertainment sites, including Amazon Video-on-Demand, a streaming video service that gives the consumer access to more than 40,000 titles; YouTube™; Google Picasa Web Album; Bloomberg and a weather channel.

No pricing yet apparently. I remember purchasing the first portable DVD player back in '98 or '99, which was also from Panasonic, and paying around $1300 for it. I wonder if it will be the same price point. Of course laptops are much more prevalent nowadays, so I'm not sure I would bite on this instead of a laptop.
Old 01-16-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Panasonic introduces first portable BD player

at that screen size, i just don't see the point of Blu-ray. The only reason to get this would be so that you don;t have to have DVD copies of Blu-rays. But with the price of DVDs now, is that even a concern?

For traveling on say an airplane, you could probably get a Sony laptop that has a larger screen and a Blu-ray drive for that much money.
Old 01-16-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had never been satisfied with portable dvd player image quality, if these players can present a flawless image I might be interested
Old 01-16-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be happy if they would just make full resolution standard DVD players.
Old 01-16-09, 09:22 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by darkside
I would be happy if they would just make full resolution standard DVD players.
Sony has a 8" model (FX820) that has 800x480 resolution (slightly better than DVD) for around $140. I picked it up on Amazon and it is light years better than the cheaper model I had been using for the past couple years.
Old 01-17-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
Sony has a 8" model (FX820) that has 800x480 resolution (slightly better than DVD) for around $140. I picked it up on Amazon and it is light years better than the cheaper model I had been using for the past couple years.
I got an LG DP781 not quite two years ago with an 8" screen that also has a 800x480 resolution and at that size the picture looks fantastic, almost like HD....I can't see how a portable BD player with a screen at that size would look any better unless you were holding it right up to your face!
Old 01-17-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
at that screen size, i just don't see the point of Blu-ray. The only reason to get this would be so that you don;t have to have DVD copies of Blu-rays. But with the price of DVDs now, is that even a concern?
I'd say it still is. After all, more and more people are asking to have the DVD thrown in as a freebie, or at least for $5 more, which annoys those of us who don't want it and would have to pay extra for something we wouldn't use. That's why I'd want to see portable players come out.

I wonder what the battery life would be like though. Even if it isn't displaying HD, it still has to decode the video. That takes a good bit of processing power.