Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Has a Character from 1 Show ever been Moved to another Unrelated Established Show ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Has a Character from 1 Show ever been Moved to another Unrelated Established Show ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 11:02 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Has a Character and the same Actor from 1 Show ever been Moved to another Unrelated Established Show ?

SO NOT TALKING ABOUT SPIN OFFS

I was just discussing the new season of 24 with some workmates and we were discussing how cool it would have been to instead of having the new Janice character in the FBI, to have Marshall (with same actor) from Alias in the FBI as the tech geek. That would rock !

Has anything like this ever happened in TV history ?

I'm talking about a character moving from 1 show to a totally unrelated non spinoff show which in it's own right was already established
Old 01-15-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Has a Character from 1 Show ever been Moved to another Unrelated Established Show

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Has a Character and the same Actor from 1 Show ever been Moved to another Unrelated Established Show ?

SO NOT TALKING ABOUT SPIN OFFS

I was just discussing the new season of 24 with some workmates and we were discussing how cool it would have been to instead of having the new Janice character in the FBI, to have Marshall (with same actor) from Alias in the FBI as the tech geek. That would rock !

Has anything like this ever happened in TV history ?

I'm talking about a character moving from 1 show to a totally unrelated non spinoff show which in it's own right was already established
Detective John Munch moved from Homicide: Life on the Street to Law and Order: SVU after Homicide went off the air.
Old 01-15-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Has a Character from 1 Show ever been Moved to another Unrelated Established Show

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Detective John Munch moved from Homicide: Life on the Street to Law and Order: SVU after Homicide went off the air.
Only thing I could think of.
Old 01-15-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
And was also on The X-Files
Old 01-15-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Det. Munch was the first example to pop into my head as well.

According to IMDB, Det. John Munch has appeared on Homicide, Law & Order: SVU, Arrested Development, Sesame Street (?!), The Wire, Law & Order: Trial by Jury, The Beat, Law & Order, and The X-Files.

I realize many of those were just one-episode appearances and not quite what you were looking for, but I thought it was interesting anyway.
Old 01-15-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought of Munch as well, but it looks like Munch was a part of SVU from day one. The OP wanted actors who had moved to already established shows. And while L&O: SVU isn't related to Homicide, the original L&O had some cross-over episodes with Homicide, right? So SVU is related to a show that's related to Homicide.

Can't think of anything else, though.
Old 01-15-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

It's only a guest spot and involves cartoons, so I don't know if it'd count, but Jay Sherman from "The Critic" was on an episode of "The Simpsons" when they were both Fox shows (the former moved to ABC for its second season).
Old 01-15-09, 12:07 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Haha. Everyone thought of the same character as I did.
Old 01-15-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High school student Warren Coolidge (Byron Stewart) originated on the television series The White Shadow. Years after the show went off the air, the character reappeared as the janitor on St. Elsewhere. They even had an episode where Timothy Van Patten guest-starred and Warren initially recognized him as his character from The White Shadow, Salami, though Van Patten was playing a different character on St. Elsewhere.
Old 01-15-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Does Bob Newhart count, since "Newhart" was essentially his character from the Bob Newhart Show having a dream?

Ursulla (Lisa Kudrow) from "Mad About You" was a recurring regular on "Friends," but not part of the weekly cast (although obviously she was, since Lisa was also playing her twin sister).
Old 01-15-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Denise Iannello (Debi Mazar) and Eli Levinson (Alan Rosenberg) moved from Civil Wars to L.A. Law.

There's also Worf - TNG to DS9 after DS9 had already been established.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-15-09 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Sophia moved from Golden Girls/Golden Palace to Empty Nest. Of course, Empty Nest was a spin off of Golden Girls, but the move came years after Empty Nest had been established.
Old 01-15-09, 12:43 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a vague recollection of David E. Kelly moving some of his characters from one show to another when the first got cancelled, though maybe I'm wrong about that. I'm not talking about the Practice morphing into Boston Legal, but a character from Ally McBeal winding up on Boston Public (or whatever it was -- like I said, I don't remember the specifics).
Old 01-15-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
I have a vague recollection of David E. Kelly moving some of his characters from one show to another when the first got cancelled, though maybe I'm wrong about that. I'm not talking about the Practice morphing into Boston Legal, but a character from Ally McBeal winding up on Boston Public (or whatever it was -- like I said, I don't remember the specifics).

There were numerous crossovers btwn The Practice, Boston Public and Ally, and there were actors (Fyvush Finkel) who starred on multiple DEK shows.
Old 01-15-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
There's also Worf - TNG to DS9 after DS9 had already been established.
Not sure this counts since both shows are spin-offs of the same franchise. (Plus, Picard was on the premiere of DS9).
Old 01-15-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Not sure this counts since both shows are spin-offs of the same franchise.
I don't consider TNG a spin-off.
Old 01-15-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Professor Kingsfield from "THE PAPER CHASE" returned to taunt one of his former students on a short-lived sitcom called "THE ASSOCIATES"
Old 01-15-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The character of Sgt. Slaughter from WWF television went on to appear as a regular in an unrelated show, GI Joe.
Old 01-15-09, 01:08 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Trapper John from the sitcom "M*A*S*H" to "Trapper John MD" the pretty much unrelated medical drama?
Old 01-15-09, 01:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Best I can come up with is that on an episode of Eli Stone this season, a character who Eli has a vision of winning the Nobel Prize in the future, is currently employed at "The Work Bench," where the characters in Reaper work. Unfortunately, the character wasn't Andi Pendergast.
Old 01-15-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Race Bannon - From Johnny Quest to The Venture Brothers
Spoiler:

Of course, he's killed off on Venture Bros. and kids end up playing with his corpse

Johnny Quest - From Johnny Quest to The Venture Brothers
Spoiler:

He's grown up and a drug addict on Venture Bros.

Harvey Birdman - From Birdman and the Galaxy Trio to Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law
Old 01-15-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
Race Bannon - From Johnny Quest to The Venture Brothers
Spoiler:

Of course, he's killed off on Venture Bros. and kids end up playing with his corpse

Johnny Quest - From Johnny Quest to The Venture Brothers
Spoiler:

He's grown up and a drug addict on Venture Bros.

Harvey Birdman - From Birdman and the Galaxy Trio to Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law
How can you get those but miss Space Ghost?
Old 01-15-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simon McCorkindale's Manimal returned a decade later to make guest spot in Nightman.

How's that for obscure?
Old 01-15-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't consider TNG a spin-off.
You're splitting hairs. TNG may not "technically" be a spin-off, but all the shows are still related to one another.
Old 01-15-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

The closest I can come up with an actual example is a daytime soap.

Several years ago, one daytime show got canceled ("Another World"?) and a handful of the characters from it moved to "As the World Turns." I think most of them eventually left or were killed off, though, but they were on it for several years.

(Don't ask me why I know this...)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.