Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Just discovered The Haunted

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My cousin-in-law is the lead singer of an extreme Metal band and the last time we got together he went through my iPod seeing what kind of music I was into. After seeing that I was a big thrash metal and Opeth fan he recommended I check out The Haunted. I forgot about it for several months but last week I finally sat down and gave a listen to rEVOLVEr and The Dead Eye. I was pretty much instantly hooked.

For those who don't know The Haunted are a Swedish band combining Thrash Metal and Melodic Death influences. Most of the members were originally in At The Gates which were progenitors of the Gothenburg sound. They don't use the cookie-monster vocals so they're relatively accessible if you don't mind the screaming vocal style, although they definitely mix it up a little with standard clean singing.

They've worked a lot with legendary metal producer Fredrik Nordström who plays in one of my favorite metal bands Dream Evil. I've read that the band records their songs live in one take, and only records the vocals separately which is pretty badass as well.

Here are some of my favorite tracks for for those who haven't heard The Haunted before either.

The Fallout:

The Drowning:

The Prosecution:

Burnt to a Shell:

My Shadows:

Sorry for the irrational enthusiasm here, but I just couldn't keep such a great band to myself and it seems like almost nobody on DVDTalk listens to them.
Old 01-12-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Just discovered The Haunted

I listen to them...and I have seen them 3 or 4 times. They are a cool band, their singer is an asshole to the Nth degree (go to Blabbermouth and read some of the stuff he has said in interviews)...but yeah they are cool.

If you dig them, check out Soilwork, At the Gates and In Flames...very much in the same style (and ironically from the same country).
Old 01-12-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah Peter Dolving comes across as kind of a jerk in interviews and on his blog, but I definitely dig his vocals.

I really like the guitar work in At The Gates, but I just don't like the cookie monster vocals.
Old 01-12-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i def wouldn't consiter At The Gates as cookie monster vocals. I'd conster stuff like Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse and Deicide as cookie monster (god i hate that term), but not ATG
Old 01-12-09, 06:43 PM

I am with Rypro, no way At the Gates is cookie. The only one that comes close is maybe In Flames...but that is on the early stuff.
Old 01-12-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts

The Haunted rock. I've liked all of their albums, although I prefer Dolving over Aro. They are going to be coming to the US pretty soon, but seem to be skipping most of the major cities that aren't bordering a coast.

I also don't consider At the Gates to have cookie vocals. However, I think that's the worst part of At the Gates, enough that I don't listen to them.

Early In Flames and Dark Tranquillity have similar sounds, although they seem to be a bit more dynamic.
Old 01-13-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to listen to these guys. Wasn't a huge fan but I gave their album a listen a few years ago. I just think that "The Haunted Made Me Do It" is the coolest album title. That is all I am contributing to this thread.
Old 01-13-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like them, but I hated the last album they released.
Old 01-13-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I also don't consider At the Gates to have cookie vocals. However, I think that's the worst part of At the Gates, enough that I don't listen to them.
You guys are right. I hadn't listened to them in a little while and forgot exactly what the singer sounded like.

I'm not sure what you call this vocal style though, but I hate it. The rest of the music is awesome though.
Old 01-14-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

that def ain't cookie monster. i'd say its somewhat similar to a black metal vocal style.
Old 01-15-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As good a description as any I guess.

I just realized after watching an interview with Peter Dolving that he's the first foreign singer I can remember whose singing voice has more of an accent than his speaking voice (in English of course). Usually it's the opposite way. I'm wondering if he lived in America at one point because he has very little accent when talking.
Old 01-16-09, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Their new album rocks. And it's recorded live without fancy studio tools or tricks.
They are just so damn tight - it's impressive
Old 01-16-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
Their new album rocks. And it's recorded live without fancy studio tools or tricks.
They are just so damn tight - it's impressive
Actually so far I've been underwhelmed with Versus. It's got a few really cool songs, but it doesn't quite have that special something that "rEVOLVEr" and "The Dead Eye" have.
Old 01-16-09, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred
Actually so far I've been underwhelmed with Versus. It's got a few really cool songs, but it doesn't quite have that special something that "rEVOLVEr" and "The Dead Eye" have.
+1, rEVOLVEr is an amazing record.
Old 01-16-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton
+1, rEVOLVEr is an amazing record.
I will say that the highlight of Versus is "Skuld". I don't care if most of it is in Swedish, it sounds bad ass. It's like an evil Sigur Ros.
Old 01-16-09, 02:46 PM

I will say that the highlight of Versus is "Skuld". I don't care if most of it is in Swedish, it sounds bad ass. It's like an evil Sigur Ros.
Agreed. That song is amazing live (I saw them twice when the were touring for that album).
Old 01-19-09, 02:43 PM

Jensen the guitarist rules. Check out the band Witchery.
Old 01-19-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Scorpio
Jensen the guitarist rules. Check out the band Witchery.
Witchery is awesome. I'm hoping they and Hypocrisy put out an album this year and tour the US.
Old 01-19-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just realized after watching an interview with Peter Dolving that he's the first foreign singer I can remember whose singing voice has more of an accent than his speaking voice (in English of course). Usually it's the opposite way. I'm wondering if he lived in America at one point because he has very little accent when talking.
Yeah, he did. Oregon, I think. I think his mother may lived and brought him up there... could be wrong about the place and parent, but I do know he did live in the states for awhile.

He's not as wacko as he comes across in the blabbermouth listings/postings. He called me out on a few of my postings via private e-mail and seemed very open minded and extremely respectful to my point of view (which is so far opposite of his, it's not even funny and considering how obnoxious I was being, he certainly didn't have to be so respectful or kind). So even though I disagree with much of what he has to say (particualry his anti-capitalism views), I have to respect his point of view.
Old 01-20-09, 12:38 AM
Cool New Member

eh, not a big fan of the haunted =/
Old 01-20-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Yeah, he did. Oregon, I think. I think his mother may lived and brought him up there... could be wrong about the place and parent, but I do know he did live in the states for awhile.

He's not as wacko as he comes across in the blabbermouth listings/postings. He called me out on a few of my postings via private e-mail and seemed very open minded and extremely respectful to my point of view (which is so far opposite of his, it's not even funny and considering how obnoxious I was being, he certainly didn't have to be so respectful or kind). So even though I disagree with much of what he has to say (particualry his anti-capitalism views), I have to respect his point of view.
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-21-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Might be the only one who thinks this but I thought the band was better off with Marco on vocals.

"Self Titled" (w/ Dolving) was decent, but I honestly think "Made Me Do It" and "One Kill Wonder" are their best albums, which have Marco on vocals. Musically they feel like where the band wanted to go and seemed like a natural progression for a band featuring ex-members of ATG.

The Haunted has definitely gone into the shitter with everything post-"One Kill Wonder". I'm all for evolution between albums but there are way too many nu-metal-isms in this band now for me to enjoy.
Old 01-21-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the music from the Aro time is better, but I prefer Dolving's vocals and lyrics.
Old 03-07-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Swedish metallers THE HAUNTED have announced a new lineup of bands that will be joining them on their upcoming North American tour, which kicks off in early April. The package will now be as follows:

THE HAUNTED
NACHTMYSTIUM
MERAUDER
THE AGONIST

The dates are as follows:

Apr. 02 - The Glasshouse - Pomona, CA
Apr. 03 - The Key Club - Hollywood, CA
Apr. 04 - Slim's - San Francisco, CA
Apr. 05 - Hawthorne Theater - Portland, OR
Apr. 06 - Neumo's - Seattle, WA
Apr. 07 - Commodore Ballroom - Vancouver, BC
Apr. 08 - The Warehouse - Calgary, AB (new date)
Apr. 09 - Starlite Ballroom - Edmonton, AB (new date)
Apr. 11 - Royal Albert - Winnipeg, MB
Apr. 12 - Station 4 - St. Paul, MN
Apr. 13 - The Pearl Room - Mokena, IL
Apr. 14 - Majestic Theatre - Detroit, MI
Apr. 15 - Opera House - Toronto, ON
Apr. 16 - Club Soda - Montreal, QC
Apr. 17 - The Palladium - Worcester, MA
Apr. 18 - The Note - Westchester, PA
Apr. 19 - BB King's Blues Club - New York, NY
Apr. 21 - Mr. Small's - Millvale, PA
Apr. 22 - Jaxx - Springfield, VA
Apr. 23 - Volume 11 - Raleigh, NC
Apr. 24 - The Masquerade - Atlanta, GA
great tour and the Agonist is one of my new fave bands
Old 03-08-09, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Their "North American Tour" sure misses a lot of locations.