Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dune (1984) - Thoughts?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dune (1984) - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dune (1984) - Thoughts?

I'm a big fan of David Lynch's Dune. I know objectively its not that good of a movie, but whenver I watch it, I really enjoy the visuals and the incoherency of the inner dialogues. Lynch did a great job with creating an "alien" culture. And Patrick Stewart, man, thats a role of a lifetime for him. I know the Harkonnens are portrayed differently than in the book, but the Lynch crazy visuals of them is one of my favorite things of the movie. I especially love the hairless cat. And the pug, I love the pug. I just finished watching it, and you can actually see the pug in the final end scene, one of the little boys is holding it. How did the pug survive without a stillsuit?????

Anybody else wish to discuss this movie?

Last edited by chanster; 01-10-09 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-10-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Dune (1984) - Thoughts?

I think its crap compared to the Sci-fi miniseries that was made. The lynch version just wasent what I expected from it.
Old 01-10-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer the miniseries.

But the look of Lynch's Dune was pretty cool. A lot of talent involved.
Old 01-10-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Very under-rated....
Old 01-10-09, 02:47 PM

It looks the way Dune should look. The costumes, sets, cinematography, etc. Some of the actors were cast perfectly.
It just doesn't feel the way Dune should feel.
Old 01-10-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always love watching it, and it holds a special place in my heart.

I first saw it in in 1997, when I excitedly bought the VHS from costco. I had been making it my mission to watch every major movie flop of the last thirty years, and this movie was next. At first, I thought it was awful, but now I really do appreciate it.

The fact is, the movie looks amazing, and I really do think that it is a major battle. The costumes speak volumes about the characters, the production design speaks volumes about the worlds, the f/x are top-notch, and the movie has one of the most amazing scores, in my opinion, in movie history. Even if you think the movie stinks, it's hard to deny the music.

The problem, of course, is that the movie doesn't make a lick of sense. DeLaurentis and Lynch should have aimed for a longer running time, one that would have made the most of the film's duration. Even the 3-hour TV cut doesn't make much sense. There are gaping plot holes, and it's difficult to figure out exactly what everyone's goal is. In trying to be do desperate to the source material, the movie only harms itself. As a result, there's no room for any of the characters, let alone any new ones as the film progresses.

The mini-series got the logic and the story right, which is half the battle, but it looked cheap as hell. And since I'm a sucker for production values, I go with this movie. But if a movie had the look of this version and the storytelling of the miniseries, then THAT would have been a masterpiece.
Old 01-10-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I really don't see exactly HOW Patrick Stewart's role as Gurney Halleck was exactly "the role of a lifetime"... he was barely in a handful of scenes and completely underutilized.

Still, I love Lynch's Dune... I view it as less of a film on its own, more like an 2 hour condensed opera devoted to fans of the book who already know the story and characters.
Old 01-10-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Still, I love Lynch's Dune... I view it as less of a film on its own, more like an 2 hour condensed opera devoted to fans of the book who already know the story and characters.
Exactly, I even see the theatrical cut, the extended cut, the mini-series and the novel all as facets of the same story. The book is the foundation, and all the filmed versions add to the experience.
Old 01-10-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love the books and hated the movie. I watched the movie when it first came out in theaters and have never seen it since.
Old 01-10-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I've always liked Lynch's Dune and thought it was unfairly maligned.

The costumes, the design, the cinematography, the casting -- it's all spot-on. And I really appreciate the oddness that infuses the whole thing, making it surreal and alien experience.
Old 01-10-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,126 Posts

I like all versions of DUNE 84 particularly the extended version. The mini was great too but it had its share of negatives too.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-11-09 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-10-09, 06:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i like "Star Wars".
Old 01-10-09, 06:29 PM

It looks good but doesn't jell into a good movie. The mini series was typical SFChannel crap. Dune is one of those books which is hard to translate into film. An awful lot of exposition.
Old 01-10-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
i like "turtles".
fixed
Old 01-10-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
i like "Star Wars".
Well, on that note ... the SciFi Channel raped my childhood.
The following users liked this post:
tasha99 (01-17-24)
Old 01-11-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I was mildly curious about the books but the movie (and the Sci-Fi Channel mini-series) killed any thoughts of reading the books. It just felt odd and uninteresting. I may still read the books someday just to see what all love for them stems from (and I don't trust any movie to be page for page translation of a book).
Old 01-11-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)

It's tough to say...I like most of the costumes and the actors and acting are very good, and some of the portrayals of technology, sandworms, etc...but then you have that ridiculous "voice" thing. I mean, wtf?

The miniseries....I'll force myself to watch it all the way through one day...the acting turned me off the first time I tried. Just couldn't stand to watch the guy playing Paul whine his way through one scene after another.
Old 01-11-09, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my favorites. I must have at least 8 or 10 versions on VHS and DVD.

And it certainly does make the movie more enjoyable if you have read the book (which I did after watching the movie a couple times).
Old 01-11-09, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't watch the extended version, it was very distracting when one shot the actors had the blue tint in their eyes, and the next shot (non-theatrical) they didn't. I don't know if they remedied this on the dvd or not. The Japan laserdisc didn't have the effect fixed.
Old 01-11-09, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hasslein
I couldn't watch the extended version, it was very distracting when one shot the actors had the blue tint in their eyes.

I liked the movie, still watch it when I see its on. Thought the sci fi miniseries was meh. But I have never read the books.
Old 01-11-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
I couldn't watch the extended version, it was very distracting when one shot the actors had the blue tint in their eyes, and the next shot (non-theatrical) they didn't. I don't know if they remedied this on the dvd or not. The Japan laserdisc didn't have the effect fixed.
They didn't fix it on the DVD. While I was still glad to get a good copy (it is 16x9 widescreen btw), it would have been really nice for them to go all out and fix all the FX and add in any other deleted scenes they had.
Old 01-11-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

The biggest problem (IMO) with the film version of Dune is it rushed through things in the second half. I wish it had taken more time then to tell the story, like it did in the first half (which is the part of the movie I like best). And I have seen the extended cut, but it has, in many ways, more problems (ex. using illustrations to tell the story - just a bad idea) than the theatrical cut.

The biggest problem (IMO) with the Sci-Fi Channel miniseries version of Dune is the blatant cheapness of its look. It was staged like a filmed play with intentionally fake backdrops instead of at least using CGI to make the world somewhat more convincing. Plus the costumes are laughably bad in too many cases. The cheap look of the whole thing made it very disappointing to me, even moreso than the weak performances in some roles. (At least the sequel miniseries, Children of Dune, abandoned the fake backdrops and used a lot more CGI to look like a more major production.)

Last edited by dhmac; 01-11-09 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-11-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I was mildly curious about the books but the movie (and the Sci-Fi Channel mini-series) killed any thoughts of reading the books. It just felt odd and uninteresting. I may still read the books someday just to see what all love for them stems from (and I don't trust any movie to be page for page translation of a book).
I read the book after seeing the movie, and I enjoyed the book. I haven't seen the Miniseries.

As far as the "blue eyes" problem with the extended cut, the theaterical has the same problem, at least with characters in the backgrounds.
Old 01-11-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Lynch's Dune. It looks great, and similar to other films like Excalibur, it's an overly bombastic and over the top production representative of the 80s - it's hard not to love (IMHO). Is it a great adaptation? Hardly, but I think it gets the most cinematic points of the source material across. It's a rousing sci-fi motion picture with many great moments. Some of its weirdness or eccentricities help set it apart from any other film.

I never got the hate for the internal monologues. Perhaps it's viewed as a sort of lazy form of cinematic shorthand, but it's just another one of the elements that makes the movie unique. It's similar to the way Roman Polanski's film version of Macbeth handled the play's soliloquies. In plays, there's no way of expressing a character's internal thoughts to the audience so they have the actor externalizing it. Somehow the audience accepts that no other character can hear them. But this is unnecessary in films and Polanski took a rather cinematic approach to internalizing the characters' thoughts. It sounds kinda obvious, but audiences find it "weird". Anyway, I think the internal monologues kinda add a feeling of other worldliness to the movie and I like it...a lot.
Old 01-11-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by chanster
I read the book after seeing the movie, and I enjoyed the book. I haven't seen the Miniseries.

As far as the "blue eyes" problem with the extended cut, the theaterical has the same problem, at least with characters in the backgrounds.
Read the books!! Or, that is to say, read the FIRST book. It's a freakin' masterpiece. I must have read (and re-read) it at least 20 times in my life.

Avoid the sequels. They are mostly garbage and often incoherent as hell.

(I actually liked the "prequel" books written by Herbert and Anderson, but I seem to be in the minority on that one...)

Funny thing about the Children of Dune TV miniseries... technically, it's infinitely superior to the original miniseries. Better acted, better shot, better directed, better edited, better production values... everything across the board is superior.

EXCEPT the story. You can't polish a turd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.