Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

burning HD content across multiple DVDs (spanning)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-09-09, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if this can be done and how? Specifically, I have a Canon HF10 and I'm considering buying the Canon DW 100 because I read that I could burn directly from the camera across multipe disks..be they single layer, DL or Blu ray discs..if necessary. So for instance, if I record 10Gb of HD video in mts / ACVHD format and try to burn it to DL DVDs that can PLAY automatically (not archive) is there a SW program (or the DW 100) that can automatically span the content, in this case, across 3 disks? Thanks for any advise!

Last edited by andy603; 01-10-09 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-09-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: burning HD content across multiple DVDs (spanning)

I think you are going to have to explain what a GM is before you get any serious answers.

Also:
Why on earth would you want to burn one video across multiple removable discs? Just ask your local LD owner (former, if necessary) what a pain that is.
Old 01-10-09, 05:01 AM

I meant Gb, not GM.

Why? Because I want to *quickly* have a way to burn something playable directly from my video camera. If the clips do not exceed the capacity of the DVD disk, then I wont have a problem, but if they do, what are my options?

The only other way I can think of is to first copy the clips to my hard drive, then use something like Toast to go back to the DVD but I'm not even sure Toast can do this (basically take say .mts clips 1 through 10 and burn on DVD 1 and clips 11-20 and burn on DVD 2).. again, I'd want them all playable.

thx
Old 01-10-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think you would need to make sure your clips don't exceed the capacity, an extra-convenient all-in-one solution like this burner means you limit your options. It's nice that they've made HD on DVD possible, but this is the reason we invented Bluray at 25GB minimum. That burner is supposed to take DL DVDs, that should help.

Personally, I'd put them on the Mac (you said Toast, so I assume Mac) first so you can archive and so you can tweak. Apple's latest software is compatible with AVCHD, which has been an issue. You can use it to create DVDs. I take it you have a BD player so you can actually play such a DVD? I really wish Jobs would get his head out of his ass over Bluray. It doesn't sound like it is even going to be in Snow Leopard. This should be an easy answer of, "get a BD burner", but it's not.

It really sucks that mfgrs are going away from Firewire. I hate waiting for USB2. And they all use SD cards, nobody wants the "giant" CF cards anymore. With that setup, you are basically stuck on Slow.
Old 01-10-09, 12:32 PM

thanks...I don't disagree but at about $10 bucks for a BD -R disc its still much cheaper to use DL discs. (yes I have a Blue Ray player)

My process now does include download to Mac but I haven't bothered with editing yet on something like iMove because of the transcoding that takes place and balloons the size of the file and lowers the quality. It doesn't look like iMovie 09 (iLife '09) does any better unless you've seen something else?

Its still an extra step as compared to the days of tape, where I just pop in and out the tape to play it back for the kids... Royal PITA having to rewind, etc, but newer technology should be as efficient as older..and in the case of HD output, it seems that one has to take an extra step to play stuff back. In my ideal world, I'd love to:

Shoot in HD--->connect to my Mac/PC--->download full res streams for archiving--->at the same time or directly thereafter, have a choice to burn that same video to HD disk and play back in the same HD res I recorded in. I instantly have a copy on my Mac (that is externally backed up of course) and also a 'raw' burned disk that the kids can destroy. Some day, when AVCHD can be edited natively on a Mac, I can do some editing and re-burn, etc ....by that time B -R discs should be down to about .10 cents ea.

And why Apple doesn't have Blue Ray is absolutely nuts. Same goes for why iMovie doesnt recognize .mts files on your hard drive but only directly from a camera!
Old 01-11-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts

I would just encode the 10GB file in HD down to a 8.5GB file in HD, that your player or HTPC can play.

Save original, burn and play version on DL DVD.

Use handbrake to reencode to h264 HD file.
Old 01-11-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andy603
It doesn't look like iMovie 09 (iLife '09) does any better unless you've seen something else?
No idea, what does 08 do exactly? (I don't have HD-corder yet, considering)

Its still an extra step as compared to the days of tape, where I just pop in and out the tape to play it back for the kids... Royal PITA having to rewind, etc, but newer technology should be as efficient as older..and in the case of HD output, it seems that one has to take an extra step to play stuff back.
You ought to be able to stick the SD card into your BDp and simply play. Does yours not have this? Latest ones do, certainly Panny.

In my ideal world, I'd love to:

Shoot in HD--->connect to my Mac/PC--->download full res streams for archiving--->at the same time or directly thereafter, have a choice to burn that same video to HD disk and play back in the same HD res I recorded in. I instantly have a copy on my Mac (that is externally backed up of course) and also a 'raw' burned disk that the kids can destroy. Some day, when AVCHD can be edited natively on a Mac, I can do some editing and re-burn, etc ....by that time B -R discs should be down to about .10 cents ea.

And why Apple doesn't have Blue Ray is absolutely nuts. Same goes for why iMovie doesnt recognize .mts files on your hard drive but only directly from a camera!
Hear, hear.

BTW, I thought handbrake couldn't yet touch AVCHD.

Last edited by Spiky; 01-11-09 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-12-09, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I would just encode the 10GB file in HD down to a 8.5GB file in HD, that your player or HTPC can play.

Save original, burn and play version on DL DVD.

Use handbrake to reencode to h264 HD file.

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand..how can you encode from 10 to 8 and keep it in HD?

thx
Old 01-13-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think he's suggesting that because that is the standard with DVD burning. Handbrake or other programs adjust bitrates to fit into the size you need. If you can get to editing, this should be a solution. Obviously, it will erode picture quality.