Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

japanese ps2 system: Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
japanese ps2 system: Worth it?

So i was watching a video on a Japanese ps2 system. It had me interested in buying one because the guy in the video said there were some games that were never released in America. Is there a lot of good Japanese ps2 and ps1 games out there that would be worth the purchase? Do the games have English subtitles? And what is a reliable site for importing the system?

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-07-09, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: japanese ps2 system: Worth it?

There are tons of games that were never released in North America, however I think for the most part they will not have English subtitles (since they weren't made for a NA audience).

I bought a Japanese PS2 back in 2001 only to play rhythm games that were not released here, and for that it was a great purchase. You don't need to read Japanese to hit the buttons in beat with the music, but even still I would need to check FAQs from time to time to figure out some options.

I have been meaning to look into PS3 compatibility with JPS2 games for awhile now, but I don't really play the PS2 much anymore anyway, so I haven't found too much out. That might be the better option, but if you want to import a JPS2, I did most of my importing through NSCX.com. They appear to have consoles in stock for about $190, and you can take a look at the games that weren't released here, and the premium you have to pay to get them.
Old 01-07-09, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are a lot of good games that came out in Japan and not here. I have a modded ps1 and used to use it a lot. As far as ease of use some games were easier then others to play it usually depended on the game make some I always knew would be easier to play then others. But you do start to learn what some characters are, at one point I wanted to learn japanese to be able to play more games
Old 01-07-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

If you don't have any games in mind that you really, really want to import and play, I'd say the cost isn't worth it. But research some of the import games that look interesting to you, and then gauge whether it's worth it or not. Check Gamefaqs to see if there are any FAQs available in English to help you through the game as well.

As an aside, if you see a game you like, see if there's an equivalent game for the DS or PSP... both of these can play import games with no mods necessary.

I miss my old-school (upside down) PS1... I remember I only had to attach a little device to it to allow import games. Now that's long gone, and all my import PS1 games are kinda useless...
Old 01-07-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Considering the size of the US PS2 library I'd say you should really have some specific import only titles in mind before bothering.
Old 01-08-09, 03:33 PM

I'd be interested in playing the non-R1 Ico. Maybe that'll wind up on PSN or get rereleased or something.
Old 01-30-09, 01:41 AM

hey i have a japanese ps2 (original release) that never been really use much, in original box, etc.. shoot me a mesg or email. will let it go for something reasonable.

madmanzero (--at--) gmail