Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Did the GameCube ever ship with component cables?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-07-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of hooking up my GameCube again, after a couple of years of inactivity.

Now that I have an HDTV though, I am wondering if anyone knows if the GameCube ever shipped with component cables? Or was this something Nintendo forced people to buy separately?

I did buy my GameCube not long after May 2004, so I'm not sure if the model I bought was produced after this date. If so, my unit doesn't even allow for component connections ...
Old 01-07-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Did the GameCube ever ship with component cables?

I don't believe it ever shipped with component cables. As far as I know, the 360 is the only console that actually shipped with component cables.
Old 01-07-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a separate port on the back for the component break-out box. I believe the Wii component cables will work in it, but if you don't have the port it's a moot point.
Old 01-07-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

D'oh. I was thinking of buying some Wii component cables to use with my Gamecube, but some quick googling brings up some sites that say that Wii component cables will not work with the Gamecube, as the Wii/Gamecube connectors are different.

Does anyone know if there are any Wii component cables on the market that actually might work with the Gamecube (via some sort of included adapter or something)?

I'm going to go home and check if my GameCube has the component port or not. I hope it does.
Old 01-07-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nope, the only cables are the official ones that go for a premium on ebay.
Old 01-07-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a spare set of Cube component cables that I'm willing to get rid of.
Old 01-07-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I have a spare set of Cube component cables that I'm willing to get rid of.
Price?
Old 01-07-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah Nintendo saved some money on the GC console by putting some of the hardware needed for the component video in the cable itself. I've no idea of the technicalities but that's why the cable itself was always so expensive (I think 50 USD) and no 3rd party ever was able to release one.
Old 01-08-09, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah that always pissed me off. Luckily I got the component cable early on before it was tough to find.
Old 01-08-09, 09:34 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I dig my Gamecube out every now and then, and I think it is still the most fun of any system I've ever owned.

Multi-player Super Monkey Ball and Mario Kart are too much fun.

Wish I had scored those cables when I had a cheaper chance....
Old 01-08-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

They were never really that cheap. Even when still being made, they were hard to find and sold for a premium on sites like eBay. I think I sold my set on this site a few years back for $50.
Old 01-08-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Boy, things are looking grim for component hookup for the ol' GameCube ... and to think that before I started looking into all of this I was thinking of using a $2 set of Wii component cables to hook it up! :O
Old 01-08-09, 10:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

For what it's worth, the difference between component and composite on this system is noticeable on an HDTV, but negligible. If you're truly eager to play over component I would recommend spending the extra money for the Wii as its fully backward-compatible with the GC.
Old 01-08-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

To cut the cost of manufacturing gamecubes, didn't they cut out the component output entirely from later models of the Gamecube? IIRC, they never even sold these in stores... you'd have to buy them from Nintendo directly. And as others have mentioned, no 3rd parties ever made them (not that I'd necessarily trust 3rd party cables).

Even the Wii doesn't come with component cables, and really early on, you could also only get wii component cables from Nintendo directly (though they now sell them in stores).

I'd second the recommendation to get a Wii instead. Few Gamecube games even support 480p and widescreen, and pretty much the only reason to still have a Gamecube are:
1. To play GBA games with the adapter
2. For those rare games, like Animal Crossing or FF Crystal Chronicles, that feature GBA connectivity (actually, I'm not sure if this works with the Wii, it might, since it plugs into the controller port anyway)

Is there anything else the Gamecube does that the Wii does not?
Old 01-08-09, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
2. For those rare games, like Animal Crossing or FF Crystal Chronicles, that feature GBA connectivity (actually, I'm not sure if this works with the Wii, it might, since it plugs into the controller port anyway)

Is there anything else the Gamecube does that the Wii does not?
GBA connectivity works on the Wii.

I believe only the GB Player does not work with the Wii. Neither do the broadband and modem adapters, but that's it.
Old 01-08-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
For what it's worth, the difference between component and composite on this system is noticeable on an HDTV, but negligible. If you're truly eager to play over component I would recommend spending the extra money for the Wii as its fully backward-compatible with the GC.
I think the last thing I need is a new gaming console... every time I purchase a new console, I always feel compelled to hunt down all the must-have titles (be they in or out of print). Probably the best thing for me then is to stick with the composite connections. Hopefully the visuals won't look like a dull and vaseline-smeared mess. I really just have a hankering to play some of my old titles like Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball, Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2, and Soul Calibur II.
Old 01-08-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
It's not, actually. I keep my GameCube (with component cables, of course!) around for the Game Boy Player attachment, for playing Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games on my TV.
Old 01-08-09, 04:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I was speaking from a software perspective, but you are absolutely correct about the GameBoy player.
Old 01-08-09, 04:30 PM

It never came with component cables, but I bought some directly from Nintendo. They were about $50, but everyone has already mentioned this. I still have them, too!
Old 01-09-09, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig
To cut the cost of manufacturing gamecubes, didn't they cut out the component output entirely from later models of the Gamecube?
Yes.

Back in September, I eBay'ed off my original launch 'Cube (with the component output) and with component cables (along with some other accessories like the Game Boy Player) and I think it only netted around $36 or so. Much less than I was expecting. Probably should have done the component cables by themselves, but oh well.
Old 01-11-09, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Yavin
Probably the best thing for me then is to stick with the composite connections. Hopefully the visuals won't look like a dull and vaseline-smeared mess. I really just have a hankering to play some of my old titles like Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball, Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2, and Soul Calibur II.
You should at least get an s-video cable. The quality will be much better than composite, and the cable should be cheaper and easier to find than the component one.
Old 01-11-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

You should get these Yavin:

http://www.amazon.com/MADCATZ-Univer.../dp/B0000C88IB

works for multiple systems
Old 01-11-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dusted off my GameCube this weekend to hook it up and discovered that, in fact, my unit is one of the ones manufactured after May 2004 ... hence, no component port. Oh well ...