Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twilight - 2 Disc BD Edition ------> 3/21/09 (Target/Best Buy temp. exclusive)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 10:03 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Available 3/21 ONLY at Target and Best Buy in America.

Here are the contents of the Twilight Special Edition Blu-ray Disc release which, by listing a New Moon teaser trailer, infer Summit will embrace BD-Live in the next month or so. The film will be presented in 2.4:1 1080p video and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio.

Special Features:
Spoiler:

Audio commentary by Catherine Hardwicke, Kristen Stewart, and Robert Pattinson
Muse music video: "Super Massive Black Hole"
Paramore music video: "Decode"
Linkin Park music video: "Leave Out All the Rest"
Five extended scenes with director introductions
Five deleted scenes with director introductions
Seven-part documentary: "The Adventure Begins: The Journey from Page to Screen"
Comic-Con "fandom" piece
Comic-Con NY sizzle reel
Three trailers
Penelope trailer
BD Live with "New Moon" teaser

Exclusives at Stores:
There appear to be exclusives at literally every store and if you want to make sure you get the best one check the list below.

Target:

This exclusive edition includes a free iTunes download of the film and bonus content including a conversation with Stephenie Meyer and Edward’s piano concert. Features Robert Pattinson on "Becoming Edward," Kristen Stewart on "Becoming Bella," Catherine Hardwicke's vampire kiss montage and Bella's lullaby remix music video
It appears the Blu-ray will have exclusive coverart as well (which looks a hell of a lot better IMO)

Best Buy:
Unknown. DVD in Canada is getting a box with postcards and pictures so its possible the Blu-ray will as well.

Amazon: (Not available until May 5th; $79.99)

"Ultimate Collectors Set" includes
* 2-disc Special Edition Blu-ray
*CD Soundtrack
*Jewelry Box -- individually numbered
*Watch
*Charm Bracelet
*6 Glossy Photo Cards
*Bookmark
*Certificate of Authenticity
Link here

Keep in mind, the Blu-ray version will only be available on 3/21 at Target and Best Buy in the USA
Spoiler:

JAN. 21 | Teen phenomenon Twilight will be sold on Blu-ray Disc only at Target and Best Buy stores for a limited time following its March 21 bow, Summit Home Entertainment confirmed.

The studio continues to build a unique launch strategy for the film that involves limiting the availability of certain SKUs. Retail access to a single-disc standard-defintion version of Twilight will be restricted to rental stores and a very limited sell-through account base, which Summit has declined to detail.

The Blu-ray also will be available for rental.

Target and Best Buy will be the sole Twilight Blu-ray sellers until May 5, when Summit will make the high-def version widely available to retail.

The studio declined to give the exact reason for curbing the initial availability of Twilight on Blu-ray. Nearly all major theatrical hits now launch widely on both standard-definition DVD and Blu-ray on the same date.

However, Summit Home Entertainment president Steve Nickerson noted that the overall idea is to street Twilight in its various versions so that it best attracts its specific young female fan group.

“This is an unprecedented place, where you have the size of the [Twilight] box office versus this targeted audience,” said Nickerson.

Although Twilight is packed with special effects that are likely to shine in high-def, core Blu-ray buyers remain mostly male, according to recent NPD Group surveys, while Twilight fans are mostly female.

Twilight’s largest focus is the previously announced two-disc special edition with extensive bonus content, available everywhere at retail on March 21, which execs believe will carry the most appeal for the film’s many repeat theatrical viewers.

Twilight also could be heavily purchased as a digital download, matching how many fans bought the film’s soundtrack album.

Regardless of Summit’s motivation for this staggered Twilight launch, the DVD industry is coming to expect creative studio thinking in light of the current retail environment. During the fourth quarter, studios heavily experimented with non-traditional weekend street dates for such titles as Paramount Home Entertainment’s Kung Fu Panda and Eagle Eye.

“I think you’ll see studios shaking up their marketing strategies based on economic uncertainties,” said Tom Kielty, senior VP of sales at wholesaler VPD. “You’re already starting to see it with the street date changes. And they will continue to test the waters on street dates, pricing and all sorts of things.”

Last edited by Gizmo; 03-01-09 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight - 2 Disc BD Edition ------> 3/21/09 (Target/Best Buy temp. exclusive)

DVDactive has the dvd cover art http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/twilight.html

Looks good to me...I was fully expecting to hate this movie but actually enjoyed it (for the most part - a lot of idiotic directorial decisions nearly ruined it though) and I'm sure the blu-ray will have quite a few features, so I'll pick it up.
Old 01-07-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Twilight - 2 Disc BD Edition ------> 3/21/09 (Target/Best Buy temp. exclusive)

I'll have my g/f throw it in her Netflix queue.
Old 01-07-09, 11:42 AM

This movie struck me as a pilot for a somewhat interesting TV series, not a feature film.
Old 01-07-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SPRBD
This movie struck me as a pilot for a somewhat interesting TV series, not a feature film.
It really plays best if you've read the book, I think. I thought it was better that way, anyhow. Like any other book/movie adaptation there's a ton of stuff they had to condense, change, or just leave out.
Old 01-07-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It was decent at best, but I never really got in to it. I'm going to have to pass on this.
Old 01-07-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Again...releasing on a Saturday?
Old 01-07-09, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I might have to get this
Old 01-07-09, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by abrg923
Again...releasing on a Saturday?
Didn't even notice that...I'm sure it will be changed them to the 24th or 17th then.
Old 01-07-09, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by SPRBD
I didnt care for the movie. It would be better as a series!
Old 01-22-09, 01:15 PM
Suspended

It is now a Best Buy/Target exclusive for a 2 month period.
Old 01-22-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, wonder how much they paid the studio to get that.
Old 01-22-09, 01:41 PM

Why in the world would they do that? Fans of the film (I haven't seen it and don't really intend to) will "just buy the DVD" rather than getting the BD if they don't live near a BB or Target. IMO, this is a big release for BD (as there are countless fans of the books/film) and it's essentially getting stalled for two months on the High-Def format. Am I missing something?
Old 01-22-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I will rent the BD but sounds like that might not be until May?
Old 01-22-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife is making me buy this.
Old 01-22-09, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
Why in the world would they do that? Fans of the film (I haven't seen it and don't really intend to) will "just buy the DVD" rather than getting the BD if they don't live near a BB or Target. IMO, this is a big release for BD (as there are countless fans of the books/film) and it's essentially getting stalled for two months on the High-Def format. Am I missing something?
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't BB and/or Target pretty much everywhere? If not, you can either wait a few months or have someone else pick it up for you. Its a strange exclusive, but I bet BB/Target paid out the butt so Circuit City (RIP) and Wal-mart couldn't get it.
Old 01-22-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure it can be ordered from bestbuy.com for those who live in the middle of nowhere.
Old 01-22-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would imagine that Summit figures they'd make more money on the exclusivity payment from Target/BB than they would in BD sales for those two months. I mean how many guys are gonna rush out and buy this for the BD player? Anyway, I doubt we would see a deal like this if it were being put out by cash-flush studios like Warner or Disney.
Old 01-22-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Not planning on getting this but don't like the almost exclusive 2 month window for BB and Target.
Old 01-22-09, 02:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by matome
I would imagine that Summit figures they'd make more money on the exclusivity payment from Target/BB than they would in BD sales for those two months. I mean how many guys are gonna rush out and buy this for the BD player? Anyway, I doubt we would see a deal like this if it were being put out by cash-flush studios like Warner or Disney.
Blu-ray format is pretty much for guys - I can't imagine the BD selling all that well (unlike the DVD). Not a bad idea for Summit.
Old 01-22-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, and a good deal for BB/Target too. I would imagine they'll have the following banner plasted across their weekly ads for two months:

EXCLUSIVE TWILIGHTblu-rayDISTRIBUTOR!
Old 01-22-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't Mamma Mia #1 on the BD charts for its first week? The ladies may show up to buy this one.
Old 01-22-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Odd but semi-understandable decision on the BD exclusivity. I still think in a way Summit is underestimating how big of a cash cow these books are.

After seeing the movie, I'll still be buying this on BD Will have to do pre-order/in-store pickup at Best Buy.
Old 01-22-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, when all is said and done I'll be picking this up at Best Buy on 3/21 anyway.
Old 01-22-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Twilight - 2 Disc BD Edition ------> 3/21/09 (Target/Best Buy temp. exclusive)

I've read the book and liked the movie quite a bit. My wife hasn't read the book and loved the movie. I'll be getting this for the Edward/Bella commentary. I always like it when the main stars participate.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.