Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Being Erica (1/5 Pilot) - CBC

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Being Erica (1/5 Pilot) - CBC

Anyone else see Being Erica on the CBC (Canada)? I heard about this show and got to preview it. I thought it was pretty good, though there were some plot contrivances. Nonetheless, it was intriguing and I love the whole time-travel element.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing if it can sustain through a few more episodes.
Old 01-06-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Being Erica (1/5 Pilot) - CBC

Never heard of it. IMDB has almost nothing. What's the premise?
Old 01-07-09, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
Never heard of it. IMDB has almost nothing. What's the premise?
A 32-year-old, Erica, has the less-than-perfect life and she blames it on the fact that she's made bad decisions almost her whole life. After she's fired from a job and dumped in the pilot, a mysterious therapist crosses her path. She goes to see him and in their first session, after listing all her regrets (pages worth), she suddenly finds herself 20 years in the past, at the place of her first regret. She has the opportunity to "fix" it...but, like all time travel stories, it could change her future in ways she doesn't expect.

It's entertaining and a bit off-beat (kind of in the vein of Wonderfalls). Right now, the Canadian critics seem to like it. Here's a write-up online. I'll be interested to see if it works week-after-week. But I think it's worth catching if you can get the CBC or a torrent of other options.
Old 01-07-09, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CBC has been hitting the promos hard on this one for the last month or so - caught it by default the other night and was somewhat surprised - it seemed very universal and not just "canadian" - initially i thought the whole series would be her in high school, but it looks like they will be going for a bit more "Quantam Leap" and less "Life on Mars" as she's in university for the next episode. The late 80s vibe didn't feel too forced, loved the bit about the misunderstanding concerning the electric razor and Erica ain't too hard on the eyes either.
Old 01-07-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here we go. I found a promo for it. Ignore the obnoxious announcer.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0zGkg-l-8tU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0zGkg-l-8tU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

They created a pre-debut blog for her, too.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 01-07-09 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
A 32-year-old, Erica, has the less-than-perfect life and she blames it on the fact that she's made bad decisions almost her whole life. After she's fired from a job and dumped in the pilot, a mysterious therapist crosses her path. She goes to see him and in their first session, after listing all her regrets (pages worth), she suddenly finds herself 20 years in the past, at the place of her first regret. She has the opportunity to "fix" it...but, like all time travel stories, it could change her future in ways she doesn't expect.
Aside from the time travel, it sounds very similar to Sophie, CBC's "hit" show from last year. I really like the chick that plays Sophie, but the show doesn't do it for me. I'll check this out though.
Old 01-08-09, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the show is available as a free download from itunes and within canada episodes can be seen online at cbc.ca/beingerica - if you're a fan of some of the quirkier stuff that has struggled to find a home on the airwaves over the last few years check it out.
Old 03-20-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been watching this show every week. My wife and I love it. Also hooked a couple of siblings and a friend on it too. It is even airing weekly on Soapnet now.
Old 06-17-09, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Count me among those that loves the show. Great cast and premise; the show does a good job balancing light humour and serious drama.

And for those that are interested, it will be coming back for a 2nd Season consisting of 12 episodes.
Old 06-17-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope this comes out on DVD soon!

I saw the first couple of episodes on CBC then are cable company dropped that channel from our package.

Then I downloaded each episode to watch.

Soapnet shows a heavily edited version of the show.