Old 01-06-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Biggest Loser: Couples 2009 Thread

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/biggest-big...ser-season--68

Biggest "Biggest Loser" Season
By Andrea Engstrom | Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 1:42 PM

Best friends David and Daniel from "The Biggest Loser: Couples"
NBC/Mitchell Haaseth"The Biggest Loser" returns tonight (8pm ET on NBC) with its heaviest contestants to date; 11 couples begin the show with a shared weight of more than 3.5 tons (view photos). Without a doubt, trainers Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels face their toughest season yet.

I had a chance to catch an advance look at the first episode of Season 7 and that one episode is filled with more highs, lows and shocks than all of last season's episodes combined (airs tonight on NBC). There are several "Biggest Loser" firsts, with the series' oldest players (63-year-old grandparents, Estella and Jerry), the youngest male contestant (18-year-old Mike), the heaviest female contestant (Carla at 379 lbs) and the biggest contestant ever in the history of the show (Daniel at 454 lbs). And, of course, there is a MAJOR twist. I won't reveal the specifics of the surprise, but I will tell you that I think it will make the competition even more interesting because it adds an all-new level of motivation for the contestants.

Watch the heaviest ever "Biggest Loser" contestant weigh in:
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/yahoo/http%3A%2F%2Ftv%2Eyahoo%2Ecom/embed/5chFZtCD_qOyGxl08O4gcQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/yahoo/http%3A%2F%2Ftv%2Eyahoo%2Ecom/embed/5chFZtCD_qOyGxl08O4gcQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

The whole cast is great -- from the grandparents to the best girlfriends from Detroit -- but of course I've already picked my favorites who I will be rooting for. Along with 19-year-old Daniel, who weighed in at a record-setting 454 lbs, look out for Tongan cousins Filipe and Sione, former model Tara, and engaged couple Nicole and Damien. I absolutely loved their stories and I expect them to do amazing things with the help of the show (view before/after shots from last season's finale).

"The Biggest Loser" airs Tuesdays at 8pm ET on NBC.
Old 01-06-09, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Biggest Loser: Couples 2009 Thread

Jillian, and the orange team's mini commercial for the water jug company half way through the episode cracked me up, talk about blatant product placement
Old 01-06-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, I was thinking the product placement wasn't as bad as it usually is in this episode.
Old 01-07-09, 09:25 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some things about the 'twist' confused me. Since there are still two teams intact, will they be scored as individuals during these 30 days? Or will they continue to be judged (and booted) as a team, meaning the individuals are also still 'teams' (sort of how they had individuals like Colleen or Heba competing as teams without their partners early in the last edition)? If the two intact teams are competing as individuals, will their partner still have a chance to bring them back on that reunification date, or is that luxury only for the ones sent home in the first episode?
Old 01-07-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Good questions DRG. I assumed they would be competing as individuals since there are so few teams left, but even if so, that doesn't answer your second question.
Old 01-07-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My interest in this show has waned *bigtime* now that they are 2 hour episodes. They really need to trim them back to 1 hour a week.
Old 01-07-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Morf
My interest in this show has waned *bigtime* now that they are 2 hour episodes. They really need to trim them back to 1 hour a week.
It is somewhat ironic that a show about weight loss is so bloated and really needs to cut the fat.

Good thing for DVRs - this show has so many re-caps and replays even at 2 hours it seems to only take an hour to watch once you FF all the fluff.
Old 01-07-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Morf
They've been 2 hours for a few seasons now. Weren't they also on twice a week when they were 1 hour long?

Jillian's back for more beatings.
Old 01-07-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sending half of the teams home this early is pretty weak... why even do that - just seems like some mean way to change it up for no good reason...this is a show people watch to see the incredible weight loss and hard work, not the game tactics and twists like you do on Survivor... the producers are fucking stupid IMO. Still, hopefully this will be a good season, there are a few teams I don't hate yet, but there are already some I totally hate.
Old 01-07-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Sending half of the teams home this early is pretty weak... why even do that - just seems like some mean way to change it up for no good reason...this is a show people watch to see the incredible weight loss and hard work, not the game tactics and twists like you do on Survivor... the producers are fucking stupid IMO. Still, hopefully this will be a good season, there are a few teams I don't hate yet, but there are already some I totally hate.
This show has more twists than any other show. Every week, anything can happen because the producers keep wanting to make it interesting. I haven't seen the premiere of the new season yet but a couple of seasons ago, a third of the group were eliminated off the bat only to be saved by Jillian who worked with them and kicked their butts in the desert to seek revenge against the blue team led by Bob and the red team lead by Kim Lyons.
Old 01-08-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/biggest-lo...-face/17330?nc

Biggest Loser Star Busted for Throwing Flour in Tenant's FaceBy Us Magazine
2 hours, 10 minutes ago

topics: Legal WoesReality
Us Magazine A contestant on The Biggest Loser has been arrested for allegedly assaulting a housemate with a bag of flour.

The same day that the NBC reality show debuted, Shanon Thomas, 30, was charged with domestic violence Tuesday, according to the Detroit Free Press.

If convicted, she could face more than three months in jail.

See what other celebs looked like when they got arrested.

According to police, on Dec. 16, Thomas assaulted a man who lived in the basement of her suburban Detroit home after he had the TV volume too high.

She is alleged to have "kicked open the door" to his basement apartment and threw flour in his face, damaging some of his personal property in the process.

He has since moved out.

See today's top celeb news photos.

Thomas, who is a massage therapist, was arraigned and released on $2,000 bond after being taken into custody.

On Loser, she makes up one half of the Pink Team. Her teammate, Helen Phillips, is her mother.
Kind of funny.
Old 01-08-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, they've got 18 and 19 year old boys weighing over 400lbs on this show. Everyone is huge. No one in America is starving. Still quite amazing that they can lose upwards of 30lbs in the very first week.
Old 01-08-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
...this is a show people watch to see the incredible weight loss and hard work, not the game tactics and twists like you do on Survivor...
And yet, last season's introduction of "the game" tactics and emerging "villains" were on of the most talked about occurrences on the show. I wholeheartedly agree with you that it severely detracts from the show. Hopefully it was a unique incident and not something they start playing up. It is supposed to be an inspirational show ...

The only season of Survivor I watched was the Australian one. I gave up on it when the lazy annoying people banded together and kicked off everybody who deserved to be there. Although it was pretty funny watching them lay around in their huts/tents whining that they were hungry.
Old 01-17-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The usually relaxed Bob exploding at one of the fatties last night was awesome. And Gillian laughing at him was just hilarious.

A real shame that the elimination was down to the fattest kid and the grandpa.
Old 01-17-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Still quite amazing that they can lose upwards of 30lbs in the very first week.
Actually, they don't. They drink TONS of water before the "Starting weight" weigh-in, making sure that a big drop happens on the first week they get to step on the scale and let their efforts be judge. That's also why the second week weigh-in is almost always a disaster.
Old 01-17-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I'm not sure they do that. It's been done later in the game. Maybe a few pounds. But 30lbs of water weight loss in one week? That doesn't sound possible.
Old 01-17-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With as de-trained as these people are, its not hard to understand at all... Plus I guarantee you these couples probably went on a huge binge for a week straight before they came to camp. Not unlike a drug addict has an all-nighter before going into treatment.
Old 01-17-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

This is my first time watching this show. I am hoping it can help motivate me with my own weight battle. I know someone already mentioned it earlier, but I can 't believe the product endorsement on this show.
Oprah recently had a previous winner on her show. It was a guy and he looked fantastic at the finale but has gained back over 100 lbs in three years.
Old 01-18-09, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

I don't think the product placement is as bad as its made out to be ... of course it is going to be little heavier (pardon the pun) than on other reality shows ... this is one of, if not the only show, that a good portion of the audience has similar goals as the contestants.

As for the water thing, I know it has been done, but aren't they supposed to be monitored by a physician? Why would they be allowed to do that? (If you want to "play the game" it would benefit you to do that anytime you have immunity.)
Old 01-18-09, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by hippie68
Oprah recently had a previous winner on her show. It was a guy and he looked fantastic at the finale but has gained back over 100 lbs in three years.
I am kinda shocked and saddened to find out that it's Erik you were talking about. I thought he would be one of the ones who would be able to keep it off. Maybe they should have a Biggest Loser Reunion Show for the people who gained a lot of their weight back

Old 01-19-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by monkyskunk
I am kinda shocked and saddened to find out that it's Erik you were talking about. I thought he would be one of the ones who would be able to keep it off. Maybe they should have a Biggest Loser Reunion Show for the people who gained a lot of their weight back

I was amazed at how he looked at the finale. It's a real shame he couldn't keep it off. If I'm not mistaken he was on Bob's team. If he was on Jillian's team maybe it wouldn't have happened. I wished I seen that episode of Oprah.
Old 01-20-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After reading the last posts, I did a little research, it seems that some have gained some weight back, but it also seems like Erik is the most dramatic. However, it is hard to tell, because if you were on the show, slimmed down, and then fattened up again, not sure you'd want people to know.
Old 01-21-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone know why orange team was missing during the temptation challenge last night?

I was thinking before the vote that it would be smart for Jillian's team to keep Joelle. Good for them that they realized that.... keeping her means that in all probability she will occupy 1 of the bottom 2 slots again next week.

Sucks that the NBC promo for next week basically gave away who was going to be in the bottom 2.
Old 01-21-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate Joelle and was kind of pissed she stayed - it did give them a chance to get rid of a bigger threat but she is so fucking annoying, not to mention lazy...I love how she didn't even answer when Tara asked if she wanted to be there... Man, what a socially inept person. I was wondering why Orange wasn't in the temptation - maybe a punishment for being in the bottom 2 last week? Didn't see the promo, so it'll be new to me
Old 01-21-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IME, the promos sometimes give it away, but sometimes they only make you think they gave it away. So you never know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.