Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner (spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blade Runner (spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blade Runner Ending (MAJOR SPOILERS!)

in the ending, the quite genius and beautiful ending where Roy Batty saves Deckard life RIGHT when he falls from the building, does Roy say "kinship"??

I read on some forum that he does, and so I viewed the scene with that in mind.

I can't decide whether it's Ford's struggling, the sounds of it or Roy saying "Kinship"
Old 01-23-04, 05:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
first it's the qiuet genius and just press on the 'subtitles' option on remote and you got your answer.
Old 01-23-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and secondly....

IT'S PEOPLE. SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

Oops. Sorry. Wrong thread.
Old 01-24-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

scott what are you talking about?? Qiuet?? Did you mean to spell Quiet? Well I meant to spell QUITE and not quiet, you smart ass.

Subtitles aren't going to give me an answer.

I tried them already, they went back negative (meaning nothing is displayed when he grabs him).

This doesn't prove anything, subtitles are subtitles, and sometimes they don't resemble the script - so you don't have a point.

back to subject -
Old 01-24-04, 11:13 AM
Banned

"They went back negative"? WTF?

Do you mean they came back negative?

Why don't you just ask the question in an easy to understand way?

You seem to be asking if there is a subliminal/sub-audible sound of Roy saying "kinship" during the climactic rescue of the film.

I don't know anything about this, I've never noticed it, I've never heard anyone refer to it before. But that doesn't mean there is nothing there. The film is full of strange audio, like "the green body, orange legs" clip that plays during Deckards interview with Rachael.
Old 01-24-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, Pants.

Yeah, came is better. I am foreign, that's why I used the wrong word.

The sounds is kinda muddled in the scene, since you have 1.) Background music B.)ambient sounds C.) sounds of deckard struggling and maybe D.) Roy saying Kinship.

I just want to know since it's on my favorite scenes
Old 01-24-04, 01:02 PM

Great scene, watched movie many many times, never noticed Batty saying Kinship. I could be wrong though.

Which version were you watching? I myself prefer the original with the narration and fan hated happy ending. I to this day don't believe Deckard is one of them.
Old 01-24-04, 01:13 PM
Banned

Sorry Parcher, I didn't know you were foriegn.

What makes you bring this up? Did you here a rumor about this somewhere?

This is the first I've heard of it. I'll check it out for myself
Old 01-24-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I searched on google for pics of Roy Batty (cool background material) and so barely anything cameback and I just did normal google search, added "ending" and read it.

Several sites, about 4 or 5, mention it.

I have only seen the Director's Cut, it being the version I blind bought.

Ridley Scott himself says Deckard is a replicant, and that's why they had the Olmos character (the whole Unicorn dream thing).

I just LOVE that scene, that expression Roy makes when Deckard is slipping. Kinda like he doesn't understand or skeptic. I also love the music, pure Evangelis!

I just think him being barely without any clothes on in the scene, is aryan looks and all, it's just awesome. What an awesome awesome scene. I've seen it SOOOOO many times.

Anyhow, check the kinship thing out. I don't he says it, but.....it would be a weird sound to make while falling from a building.
Old 01-24-04, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by rushmore223
Great scene, watched movie many many times, never noticed Batty saying Kinship. I could be wrong though.

Which version were you watching? I myself prefer the original with the narration and fan hated happy ending. I to this day don't believe Deckard is one of them.
Agreed. However, I do turn it off before I get to the happy ending.
Old 01-24-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

dont know about the kinship thang.....this is the first I've heard it mentioned.

I would, however, like to know just what Gaff is saying to big D. during the flight to Bryant's office. I read in the outstaning BR book, "Future Noir: The Making Of Blade Runner", that Gaff is hurling out insults in cityspeak.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 01-24-04 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 04:54 PM

Blade Runner (spoilers)

Quick question: I don't understand why there is a controversy about Decker (Harrison Ford) being a replicant. I don't see ANYWHERE in the movie where this might be suggested.

Yeah, he has the dream about the unicorn. What does that mean? I'd appreciate any help.
Old 04-19-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Blade Runner (spoilers)

Originally posted by DeeKay
I don't see ANYWHERE in the movie where this might be suggested.
Deckard dreams about the unicorn, then when he goes back to his apartment to get Rachael he finds an origami unicorn left by Gaff to let him know he had been there, but had let Rachel live.

Taken along with Tyrell's story about how Rachael's memories had been implanted, there certainly is a suggestion that Deckard's unicorn dream had been implanted.
Old 04-19-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Blade Runner (spoilers)

Originally posted by DeeKay
Quick question: I don't understand why there is a controversy about Decker (Harrison Ford) being a replicant. I don't see ANYWHERE in the movie where this might be suggested.
At a movie convention the director (Ridley Scott) confirmed that Decker is a replicant.

So there!
Old 04-19-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*I believe I'm remembering this correctly.*

There are some who believe that Deckard was the "missing replicant". When Deckard and the captain are first discussing the escaped replicants, there are 6 who had gone missing but during the course of the movie we only learn the fates of 5 of them. Some folks believe that Deckard was that 6th replicant who had a memory wipe and was sent out to track down the others.

Note: I do believe that Ridley Scott has said that this was simply a case of sloppy filmmaking and was an edit that was missed in postproduction, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-19-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also:

-Deckard's superhuman strength as evidenced by his battles with the replicants.

-The photographs that are in his apartment. Repicants liked to keep photos around as a comforting factor.
Old 04-19-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
BLAH BLAH BLAH, I'M NOT LISTENING AS I LIKE THE THEATER VERSION BETTER THEN THE D.C BLAH BLAH BLAH .

<---not listening...

Old 04-19-04, 06:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There's no way Deckard could be a replicant, and especially not the 6th replicant. If he were the 6th, the other five would have recognized him.

His "superhuman strength" seems just the opposite to me. He gets his ass whupped repeatedly by almost all the replicants. He's definitely got human strength.

The only thing that suggests it is the unicorn, but it doesn't make any sense. It also invalidates the theme of the ending if Deckard were a replicant.

The only reason I can think that it's ever been suggested is because in the novella Do Androids Dream Of Electronic Sheep?, there is a character who is a cop and then finds out he's actually a replicant. But that's a side story and doesn't last very long.
Old 04-19-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
There's no way Deckard could be a replicant, and especially not the 6th replicant. If he were the 6th, the other five would have recognized him.

His "superhuman strength" seems just the opposite to me. He gets his ass whupped repeatedly by almost all the replicants. He's definitely got human strength.

The only thing that suggests it is the unicorn, but it doesn't make any sense. It also invalidates the theme of the ending if Deckard were a replicant.

The only reason I can think that it's ever been suggested is because in the novella Do Androids Dream Of Electronic Sheep?, there is a character who is a cop and then finds out he's actually a replicant. But that's a side story and doesn't last very long.
Well, that and Ridley Scott and Harrison Ford both have said they shot the movie and the character as if he was a replicant.
Old 04-19-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All replicants have an orange glow in their eyes. It's not in every single scene, but you cannot miss it when it does show up. It's just the way they are made. Chew works for Tyrell by only making replicant eyes. Look at the outside of his shop. There is an giant eyeball on top with orangle circle in the middle of it. Now check out the scene where Deckard is talking to Rachel in his bathroom after Rachel saved his ass. He walks behind her and is out of focus. You'll notice that not only is Rachel's eyes orange, but so is Deckards.

Last edited by Lara Means; 04-19-04 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 06:37 PM
Suspended

Spoilers for a 20+ year old movie? Wow - what's next?
Spoiler:
That Darth Vader is Lukes Father
?
Old 04-19-04, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spoilers for a 20+ year old movie? Wow - what's next?
Spoiler:
That Darth Vader is Lukes Father
That's nothing... I remember a lot of people being pissed about the original DVD cover for Planet of the Apes Remember just because we've seen the movie for 20 years there are always people "coming of age" who have yet to experience these movies for the first time.
Old 04-19-04, 06:50 PM

Decker can't be the 6th replicant, his boss says that the 6th replicant "got fried" trying to break into Tyrell, but that 5 got away.

I thought about the "orange glow" as well, but that seems like so little to go on to make Decker a replicant. The unicorn, if anything, makes more sense.

- But then, a unicorn is a pretty common mythological creature. If he had dreamt of a chimera, that would make more sense that the memory was planted.

- About the photos.... everyone has at least SOME photos of family in their homes. I don't see how having photos on a piano would make him a replicant.

- About the spoiler warning.... I was trying to be nice, just in case someone, somewhere hadn't seen Blade Runner.
Old 04-19-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jesus man, Deckard is a replicant. Get over it! Why the hell would Deckard even dream about a unicorn? Gaff was the true blade runner and he was just following Deckard around. Why get dirty yourself when youve got a replicant doing all the dirty work for you? Also, Gaff knows about Deckard's unicorn dream which is revealed at the very end. End of freaking story.
Old 04-19-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
The point of the Unicorn was Gaff knew what Decker dreamt about because Replicants are given their dreams. That's the only way Gaff would know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.