Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I can't watch [adult swim] anymore

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I can't watch [adult swim] anymore

It was bad enough when they dropped Futurama and started playing family guy back to back.

But King of the Hill is just too much for me to bear.

Am I out of touch? Are most [adult swim] addicts thrilled at the idea of watching KotH every night?

Out of fairness, I did watch the entire first episode last night, just in case my tastes had changed over the years. My God it was painful.
Old 01-05-09, 11:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: I can't watch [adult swim] anymore

I love that show. It's certainly better than Family Guy.
Old 01-05-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About the only thing I watch on Adult Swim is Venture Bros.

Ok, I don't like the automatic inclusion of the Re: in the title bar.
Old 01-05-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
It's certainly better than Family Guy.
Well that's some awfully faint praise!

I don't like Family Guy either, but there's something about it that doesn't bother me to have it on in the background while I dick around on my laptop. I can't do that with KotH. Hank's voice grates on my nerves too much.
Old 01-05-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The funny thing is, I used to like Family Guy- about 4 or 5 years ago. I can't stand it nowadays, though.

King of the Hill seems to be loved by some; I've never really given it much of a chance.
Old 01-05-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Why would anyone let the inclusion of one series prevent him or her from watching the rest of [adult swim]? I mean, I can't stand Tom Goes to the Mayor, Tim and Eric or Saul of the Mole Men, but that doesn't stop me from tuning in for Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Boondocks or The Venture Brothers.
Old 01-05-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The only thing I watch on adult swim is Venture Bros.

Old 01-05-09, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by awil1026
The funny thing is, I used to like Family Guy- about 4 or 5 years ago. I can't stand it nowadays, though.
I'm the exact same way, I used to watch Family Guy and American Dad but haven't watched the last season or two cause it just isn't funny to me anymore.

I don't watch Adult Swim anymore either mainly because I don't have time to watch, I just buy the DVDs of the shows I watch as they come out. The only shows I still watch on [AD] are ATHF, Metalocalypse, Venture Bros, Frisky Dingo, and The Boondocks. All the other shows I enjoyed have ended in the last couple years or were not renewed.
Old 01-05-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was really loyal to adultswim but once the ATHF movie was being done and it killed the new episodes, I started to wane. Once Squidbillies came to a regular schedule, that show brought me back but why isn't there a new season already?

What would be really awesome is if they could bring Gary and Mike back to life, that claymation show from UPN.
Old 01-05-09, 02:11 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I am in the minority, I like almost all the stuff on adult swim. I really only didn't like early episodes of Tom Goes to the Mayor. Aside from that I watch almost everything. Some are hit or miss (Robot Chicken...well certain sketches, Lucy, Xavier, and some episodes of ATHF or Space Ghost), but for the most part the shows are solid.

I also have no problems with re-runs. But Family Guy is getting a little tired since the same episodes are on every week. Still, I like it.
Old 01-05-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Adult Swim just likes to toss everything & anything at the wall and see what sticks and what falls off. I used to watch it way more then I do now, but thats due to getting the shows I liked on DVD. Sure I'm a year behind on Venture Bros, but I'm never disappointed watching them after my purchase.

So far I love Venture Bros, Aqua Team, Birdman, Home Movies, Boondocks, Space Ghost, Garth Marenghi and Robot Chicken. Plus the networks 'ports Family Guy, King of the Hill and Futurama. Based on this, am I missing out on anything that I should check out?
Old 01-05-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Let me see if I understand this...

You watched Adult Swim when they aired repeats of Saved By the Bell but now refuse to do so because of King of the Hill.

Oookay.

I just watch what I want on Adult Swim just like I do with other stations. I enjoy Venture Brothers, Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen, Harvey Birdman, and Oblongs.

Oh, and Adult Swim lost the rights to air Futurama. Comedy Central (owned by Viacom) bought the rights to Futurama and the Futurama movies. When Adult Swim (owned by Time Warner) had Futurama, they shared it with TBS. Now its striictly Comedy Central due to the movie broadcast rights.
Old 01-05-09, 02:47 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Adult Swim just likes to toss everything & anything at the wall and see what sticks and what falls off. I used to watch it way more then I do now, but thats due to getting the shows I liked on DVD. Sure I'm a year behind on Venture Bros, but I'm never disappointed watching them after my purchase.

So far I love Venture Bros, Aqua Team, Birdman, Home Movies, Boondocks, Space Ghost, Garth Marenghi and Robot Chicken. Plus the networks 'ports Family Guy, King of the Hill and Futurama. Based on this, am I missing out on anything that I should check out?
Mission Hill was pretty funny...at least I thought so. I also dug Moral Orel and when they ran it Cowboy Bebop.
Old 01-05-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emachine12
Let me see if I understand this...
You watched Adult Swim when they aired repeats of Saved By the Bell but now refuse to do so because of King of the Hill.
Oookay.
Yep. Back when Saved by the Bell was on, yeah, it was crap, but to me, the overal crap:goodshow ratio was still pretty decent. Now, there are 2 full hours of crap, which is way more crap than I like to digest nightly.

Actually, I was looking over tvguide, and it appears that comedy central will be a good alterntive to veg in front of during that time: Futurama, South Park, Daily show ...
Old 01-05-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What I currently watch on Adult Swim
Bleach
Moribito
Robot Chicken
Super Jail

I don't mind the other shows but I have seen them a hundred times already. There are only a few shows on there that I hate. I'm kind of liking their action movie hour. hmmm well I guess that isn't part of adult swim.
Old 01-05-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Speaking of [adult swim], anyone know when Metalocalypse is due back?
Old 01-05-09, 03:28 PM

nobody likes Frisky Dingo? That has to be one of the funniest shows on AS in a long time. I do also miss Lucy Daughter of the Devil very much.

Bring back HOME MOVIES!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-09, 03:46 PM

Adult Swim has always been hit-or-miss. It's always a bit of a chore finding a gem of a series with a combination of great humor/storyline with good animation.

I loved Harvey Birdman, Home Movies, and the early seasons of ATHF, but could never get into Space Ghost. As of late, my favorites are Metalocalypse and of course, Venture Bros! Robot Chicken is one of those shows that I simply watch because it's on, but haven't seen a single episode of Squidbillies or Tom Goes to the Mayor because of the crappy animation.

As for Family Guy, I'm getting sick of it since I've seen them so often, but prefer the pop-culture reference laden episodes to the earlier "more sane" ones and glad to see it gone from AS.

I've always been a fan of KOTH (see my other posts commenting on the series), but will probably either bypass it while it is on the network or just have it on in the background since I've seen the original episodes many times.
Old 01-05-09, 04:31 PM

I'm more bothered by adding "The PJ's" to the lineup, personally. Seriously?!?!?! "The PJ's?!?"
Old 01-05-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only Adult Swim show I still watch is Venture Bros., and I catch that on the web.
Old 01-05-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like most of AS original programming. Squidbillies, Venture Bros, ATHF, Metalocalypse etc. The reruns of other networks shows I generally have no interest in.
Old 01-06-09, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I like most of AS original programming. Squidbillies, Venture Bros, ATHF, Metalocalypse etc. The reruns of other networks shows I generally have no interest in.

Same here. I'm a fan of FG, AD and KOTH, but the network stuff seem to be in the Adult Swim lineup only for the ratings.. KOTH in particular feels like a bad fit.
Old 01-06-09, 01:14 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I still watch Robot Chickem, Venture Brothers, Moral Orel, Squidbillies, and The Drinky Crow Show.
Old 01-06-09, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely LOOOVE King of the Hill, but it seems like a bad fit for Adult Swim.
Old 01-06-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

As mentioned, Venture Bros. is pretty much the best thing on TV right now.
And Frisky Dingo is just about the funniest thing on TV now (and Robot Chicken, along with ATHF are still enjoyable) - so I think [a s] is just fine right now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.