Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Logitech Harmony remote problem

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Harmony H659. The problem I am having is, I can get all my devices turned on with "watch a Movie" or "watch TV", but my off button is not responding. I went through the Logitech software and there are no options in there to configure the off button.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what I can try? A point to note, the remote is up to date and the batteries have been replaced with fresh ones.
Old 01-02-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If, after clicking Off, have you tried "Help"? Does everything shut off from the Help display?

That might explain whether it's the actual button itself or if it's something in the online setup/wizard which requires changing.
Old 01-02-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Do you keep the remote pointed at your equipment? My wife does that from time to time, she will press the off buttom and set the remote down before it has a chance to get the signal to everything.
Old 01-02-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
On my Harmony remotes I created a custom activity I named "Power Down" to turn off the items (TV, Receiver, etc).
Old 01-02-09, 03:37 PM

Yes help does turn everything and yes I keep everything pointed at the devices.

How can I create a power down activity?
Old 01-02-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just choose to create a new Activity and choose Custom. Then add the devices you would want to power down and choose the power toggle or power off commands from their available list of commands.
Old 01-03-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nefarious
Just choose to create a new Activity and choose Custom. Then add the devices you would want to power down and choose the power toggle or power off commands from their available list of commands.
It's more complicated than this makes it sound. Once you have an activity, it takes some fiddling to find the place in activities where you control this particular aspect (turning off/on devices). The activity by default will turn on everything included and should turn them off when you hit "OFF" or switch to another activity.

It could be the OP has unselected the option to "turn off devices when finished" that's on one of the screens.

-beebs
Old 01-03-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've done it on a Harmony One and a Harmony 880 exactly as I described. There are more complicated ways to do it, for sure, but setting up a simple custom activity removes a lot of the "auto" setup that the Harmony tries to do compared with say a standard activity like "watch tv".
Old 01-04-09, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by beebs
It's more complicated than this makes it sound. Once you have an activity, it takes some fiddling to find the place in activities where you control this particular aspect (turning off/on devices). The activity by default will turn on everything included and should turn them off when you hit "OFF" or switch to another activity.

It could be the OP has unselected the option to "turn off devices when finished" that's on one of the screens.

-beebs
That is incorrect. I have it setup the same way from before, I simply pres the off button and it doesn't work. I went through each device and they were all configured correctly and they all turn on but not off.