Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Beginner Wii Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beginner Wii Questions

Hi all - my relatives got a Wii today and I've decided we now need one.

I know they're tough to get ahold of - but didn't know what a good price was for the basic unit package?

What about a good price for the Wii Fit?
Old 01-01-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wii = $250

Wii Fit = $90

Bundles cost a bit more depending on what you get.
Old 01-01-09, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They aren't really that tough to find now. There was a huge pile of them at my local Best Buy for most of December. As chipmac said, $250 for the system and $90 for Wii Fit. You'll probably want to pick up Wii Play as well for another $50 (comes with another controller).
Old 01-02-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane

I know they're tough to get ahold of - but didn't know what a good price was for the basic unit package?

The Wii should be easier to find this christmas than in previous christmases.

249.99 is the price of the basic package.

The Wii Fit is 89.99 I think
Old 01-02-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by FatTony
They aren't really that tough to find now. There was a huge pile of them at my local Best Buy for most of December. As chipmac said, $250 for the system and $90 for Wii Fit. You'll probably want to pick up Wii Play as well for another $50 (comes with another controller).
Fuel those NPD numbers. Might as well recommend Mario Kart as well.
Old 01-02-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane

Any of the "packages" that are sold usually will contain stuff you don't need. A lot of the Wii accessories are useless, especially stuff like custom no-slip pads for Wii Fit, etc.

You'll need more than the controller + nunchuck the Wii comes with. Ideally, you want:

• Another controller. (Wii Play is a $50 game that comes with a controller for free). The game's pretty awful but it's only $10.
  • Another nunchuck. You don't need more than two total, and one comes with the Wii.
  • One or two Classic Controllers.

The Wii plays all Gamecube games, so you've got access to a library of hundreds of games which are all probably $5-$20 on the used market. Getting a Gamecube controller works as a good 3rd controller if you want to play Virtual Console games like Bomberman.

Be very very careful buying games. As with all consoles, there's a number of awful, terrible games. The Wii has a higher % of these than most consoles.

Look at http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/ before buying a game. Generally, most Nintendo first-party games are pretty good.
Old 01-02-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Fuel those NPD numbers. Might as well recommend Mario Kart as well.
As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to own a Nintendo 64 was to play Goldeneye and the only reason to own a Wii is to play Mario Kart Wii. I don't, however, endorse the Wii Wheel--I'm a Wii Remote & Nunchuck driver.

Oh, and Wii newbies should also know three things I wish we'd known:

1) Using a high-definition connection may produce a lag in your gameplay. We have given up and just used the basic RCA cable that came with the Wii, because going higher made it impossible for my wife to play Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock.

2) For reasons only Nintendo know, Mario Party 8 is not in widescreen.

3) Third party games are almost exclusively developed by their A-team for the X-Box 360 and PlayStation 3, and farmed out to an inferior developer for the Wii. You will get sick of hearing about how much better other versions are of games you used to be excited to play.

Last edited by Travis McClain; 01-02-09 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-02-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

--^

Agree with (3) -- accept Shaun White Snowboarding. It is a better game on the Wii than the other consoles (if you have the Wii Fit balance board)

Also, check your local Blockbusters, they are having a B1G1 sale on all used games $14.99 and under. I was able to track down Excite Truck and Trauma Center as well as several other decent games.

Last edited by hail2dking; 01-02-09 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-02-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Have you popped in Excite Truck yet? I think that is one of the most underrated games on the system. Total blast once you get the controls down. I like it more than Motorstorm.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to own a Nintendo 64 was to play Goldeneye and the only reason to own a Wii is to play Mario Kart Wii. I don't, however, endorse the Wii Wheel--I'm a Wii Remote & Nunchuck driver.
I love Mario Kart Wii, I just haven't given it enough time. I do like it more than Double Dash though... and yes the Wii Wheel blows.