Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DMP-BD35K and BD Live- Does it require attached memory?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new Panasonic DMP-BD35K player and tried to access the BDLive features on the Wall-E movie. Well I got a message: "not available in your area" error. The Disney BD Live onlne support dept said this is caused because I dont have at least 1 GB memory hooked up to the player, is this correct for the Pany BD35?
Old 12-30-08, 09:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pjten101
I have a new Panasonic DMP-BD35K player and tried to access the BDLive features on the Wall-E movie. Well I got a message: "not available in your area" error. The Disney BD Live onlne support dept said this is caused because I dont have at least 1 GB memory hooked up to the player, is this correct for the Pany BD35?
Yes.
And the SD cards come in a range of sizes and speeds.

I got a nice high speed 16gb SDHC for mine, works very well.
Old 12-31-08, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Yes.
And the SD cards come in a range of sizes and speeds.

I got a nice high speed 16gb SDHC for mine, works very well.
Thanks for the info! I had read about needing one on another brand of player to access the BDLive, but not the panasonic player. I happen to have a 2gb card laying around so I will use that for the time being. Does the speed of the card matter?
Old 12-31-08, 12:59 PM

Since when does the Panny BD35 need added memory? It's always been 2.0 as far as I knew. The box that mine came in says it has BD-Live and so does their website. Nothing about adding memory. You shouldn't need anything else. Though I haven't checked for sure. I have no way of hooking mine to the internet, right now, so I haven't tested it.
Old 12-31-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
It does need a SD memory card to utilize the BD-Live features. I got a 2gb card which works for my needs.
Old 12-31-08, 01:23 PM

I just inserted a 2GB card into the front slot and it still says BDLive is not available in my location. What might I be doing wrong?
Old 12-31-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Do you have BD Live enabled? Setup menu, click "disc", click "BD Live", then click "allow".

Also, did you let the player reboot after adding the SD card? (Just a wild guess, don't know if that is really required.)

You do have your player connected to the internet, right?
Old 12-31-08, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
^Do you have BD Live enabled? Setup menu, click "disc", click "BD Live", then click "allow".

Also, did you let the player reboot after adding the SD card? (Just a wild guess, don't know if that is really required.)

You do have your player connected to the internet, right?
yep its set for allow- full access
I did restart the player after adding the card and formatting it in the player
It is connected to the internet
Old 12-31-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by obidawsn
Since when does the Panny BD35 need added memory? It's always been 2.0 as far as I knew. The box that mine came in says it has BD-Live and so does their website. Nothing about adding memory. You shouldn't need anything else. Though I haven't checked for sure. I have no way of hooking mine to the internet, right now, so I haven't tested it.
All standalone Blu-ray players require you to add memory. At present, the PS3 is the only Blu-ray player with the memory required for BD-Live actually built in.

This is not well documented.
Old 12-31-08, 07:06 PM

So here is where I stand, have the SD card in the player and Dark Knight works for the BDLive features. I chatted with Disney BDLive Tech support tonight and they suggested I try to unplug the player and router and see if those two resetting will make the disney BDLive feature work. I guess I will give that a shot for the WallE movie and will be sure to update the thread!
Old 12-31-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 35 would not pull the correct DNS from my router. I manually entered them into the 35 and BD-live worked from that point on.
Old 01-01-09, 11:53 AM

Update: So unplugging the player and router in attempt to reconnect the two(as suggested by Disney tech support) was no help on the Wall-E movie. Dark Knight BD Live was working fine before the attempted reset and is still working fine after. Not sure what the issue is with the Wall-E BDLive option?
Old 01-01-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm note sure if it's the same on yours since I have a PS3 but I needed to register and account with Disney before I could use the BD-Live features on Wall-E. Have you done that?
Old 01-01-09, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by chipmac
I'm note sure if it's the same on yours since I have a PS3 but I needed to register and account with Disney before I could use the BD-Live features on Wall-E. Have you done that?
I did confirm with the Disney group I would be prompted for my user info once it accessed the BDLive features, but I should at least be able to get to the login screen without registering, which it wont even go there. As a side note, I have been registered with the Disney BDLive site. I am really at a loss.
Old 01-01-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
All standalone Blu-ray players require you to add memory. At present, the PS3 is the only Blu-ray player with the memory required for BD-Live actually built in.

This is not well documented.
As far as I can tell it isn't documented at all. I read over the info on the BD35K and saw nothing that indicated I would have to purchase additional memory to use BD live. Personally, I find that damn deceptive, not to mention cheesy. How much can a couple of gig of memory cost?
Old 01-01-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy
As far as I can tell it isn't documented at all. I read over the info on the BD35K and saw nothing that indicated I would have to purchase additional memory to use BD live. Personally, I find that damn deceptive, not to mention cheesy. How much can a couple of gig of memory cost?
I suppose you can blame the Blu-ray specification for Profile 2.0 which only requires the capability for 1GB of persistent storage to meet the spec.
Old 01-01-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
How much can a couple of gig of memory cost?
I paid $6.87 (inc shipping) for a Kingston 2GB SD Memory Card (via Amazon.com). It was $1.88 (and $4.99 for shipping), but it got to me in only a few days.
Old 01-01-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read on another forum that the SD card can be Class 2/4/6, but it won't write any faster than Class 2. So no need to spend extra $ on a Class 4/6.
Old 01-01-09, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by bhauge
I read on another forum that the SD card can be Class 2/4/6, but it won't write any faster than Class 2. So no need to spend extra $ on a Class 4/6.
Writing only happens once, but reading happens everytime that content is read, which can be many times in the one session. So more importantly what read speeds does it support? In fact it has to support fast read speeds to play back hidef video recorded on it (which it can).
Old 01-01-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Sony might want to start bundling cheap flash drives with their players.
Old 01-01-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It really isn't obvious, but on p21, it says that for "virtual package" (BonusView or BD-Live) or better, data WILL BE put on the card. Hence, you need a card.

It should be stated more clearly.

Personally, I had heard that before buying, so I spent an extra $6 or something and got a card at the same time.
Old 01-02-09, 01:19 AM

More on memory cards.

You can also attach these to your computer and put digital files on them (eg DVD rips) and plug them back into your BD35 to let it play them. A nice transfer mechanism without networking or burning discs.

I also believe that SD cards are usually FAT16 formatted, whilst SDHC (High capacity) are FAT32 formatted. Also note that a few card readers are not HC compatible so an HC compatible reader is needed on the computer side of things.
Old 01-02-09, 05:38 AM

I had no idea. Does the Panny BD35 have any memory? I know I was able to save my D-Files progress with Enchanted and somehow the SeasonPlay on Lost S4 remembers where I'm at. I wasn't sure how those worked. I figured it was something to do with BonusView.
Old 01-02-09, 05:44 AM

Here's a question for you, pj, since you now have Dark Knight BD-Live working, does it work without the card?
Old 01-02-09, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
And people wonder why this format has problems

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.