Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Mamma Mia - Disk Quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 02:28 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mamma Mia - Disk Quality

This has nothing to do with a review of the movie "Mamma Mia". It has to do with the dvd quality. The one I got was the wide screen theatrical version, single disk. Man, the quality was awful. It looked almost like what vhs used to look like. Are they all like this?

No, its not my televison or anything like that. I put on an episode of "The Avengers" from 1964 and it looked way better than the "Mamma Mia" disk. I tried several of my other movies just to make sure. Put on 'Ben Hur' and other films like James Bond etc....Nope "Mamma Mia" just looks bad. It's like a version you would get from a low grade company dealing in older movies.

The sound is good, there is lots of color it's just that it isn't 'crystal clear' like other dvds. Was this intentional? Or is this a scam to get people to jump over to Blue Ray?

Opinons???

Last edited by Xlegion; 12-28-08 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-28-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I've heard the Blu Ray was nothing spectacular either. Two reviews I've read including one here for the DVD both say the original theatrical film was a very soft focus.
Old 12-28-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
According to AVS, there is also a bit of airbrushing on the actresses' faces. This was apparently done for the film, not just for the discs.
Old 12-28-08, 08:26 PM
Cool New Member

After reading the review of the dvd here on DVD talk I was rather shocked that the reviewer gave the dvd quality 3 stars out of five. Best case, I could only give it 2 stars. It is extremely 'soft' in focus.

It looks like a crude telecine copy like someone took a standard video camera and just photographed the screen.

I'm not a fussy guy when it comes to the quality on dvd's but purchasing this as a major film from a well known company, this is a disgrace.
Old 12-29-08, 12:36 AM
JMK
DVD Talk Reviewer

As the reviewer of the BD version, I can tell you the video quality knocked my socks off. In fact it was so sharp it created some problems with the greenscreen effects, especially against some of the actress' hair at times. Haven't seen the SD version, but am quite surprised to hear it could be that lackluster.