Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I keep the Wii, or return it for an XBOX 360?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife got me a Wii bundle for Christmas.

I've only had the original XBOX up to this point. My favorite games are the Halos, Splinter Cells, GTAs, NCAA Football, those types of games. I'm not an online gamer, so no matter what I have it will likely never be hooked up for that.

My parents recently got a Wii and I've only played the bowling game on one so far. It was cute, but I got bored quickly.

Will the Wii grow on me, or should I just go with an XBOX 360? The Wii just seems more childish, and I'm 34.

I'm looking for honest opinions from those who have or play both. No console bashing please.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It all depends on the individual...no one can tell you what you'll like. If you like shoot 'em up games, you'll probably be a big fan of Call of Duty 4 and CoD: World at War, since just about everyone and their dog is playing those.

I think I'm getting a Wii (I almost always figure out all my presents) and I'll be very happy with it. Interesting you got bored with the bowling, because there are a lot of different aspects of that Wii Sports which are really fun and challenging, but if you played two games and got bored, yeah, you probably won't like the Wii, then. I myself love the bowling game and had real fun trying to get better and better scores. I've only bowled a 300 twice thus far, and the multi-pin fitness mode and the obstacle fitness are pretty fun.

I also love Mario Kart Wii and think it's pretty much the greatest Mario Kart since the original.

Like I said, you have to decide, because nobody else will be able to tell you what you like.
Old 12-25-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
It all depends on the individual...no one can tell you what you'll like. If you like shoot 'em up games, you'll probably be a big fan of Call of Duty 4 and CoD: World at War, since just about everyone and their dog is playing those.
Those are for the Wii?
Old 12-25-08, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
The Call of Duty: World at War is available on the Wii, although I would guess the 360 version is superior due to the 360's better graphics and proccessing capabilities.

Based on the types of games you said you liked on the original XBox, I think you'd be better off with a 360. There are some good games on the Wii, and even some good FPS and sports games, so I'm not saying it's a bad system, or even a system that you couldn't have fun with. But if you can only do one system, it sounds like you'd be better off with a 360.
Old 12-25-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
Based on the types of games you said you liked on the original XBox, I think you'd be better off with a 360. There are some good games on the Wii, and even some good FPS and sports games, so I'm not saying it's a bad system, or even a system that you couldn't have fun with. But if you can only do one system, it sounds like you'd be better off with a 360.

Yeah, I think I've pretty much made up my mind. Just looking for opinions to back it.

Plus, my dad has a Wii if I ever want to play one. He just got NCAA Football, Fishing and some other games for it.
Old 12-25-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Those are for the Wii?
Sorry, I should have clarified that you'll lean more to the 360 due to those.

Even though if you like those, I'd go Playstation so I'd at least have a Blu-Ray player, too. 360 has nothing I'd want that's not offered on PS3.

For me, even though it's underpowered and less expensive, I'd rather have a Wii than a 360. So much more fun, and I'd just take a PS3 for my other system.
Old 12-25-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Sorry, I should have clarified that you'll lean more to the 360 due to those.

Even though if you like those, I'd go Playstation so I'd at least have a Blu-Ray player, too. 360 has nothing I'd want that's not offered on PS3.

For me, even though it's underpowered and less expensive, I'd rather have a Wii than a 360. So much more fun, and I'd just take a PS3 for my other system.
I already have a BR player. And Halo 3 is only for the 360, which is the first game I'd be buying. So I really don't want a PS3.

How is the Wii so much more fun? Is it just the interaction of body movement? This is the kind of opinion I'm looking for with elaboration on.
Old 12-25-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Based on the games you mentioned, the 360 is easily the better option. Halo, Splinter Cell, GTA are all games that doesn't really have an equivalent on the Wii. I'm sure you might find a few games amusing on the Wii, but honestly I haven't found the Wii controls to make any game more "involved" versus a standard controller.
Old 12-25-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Yeah, I think I've pretty much made up my mind. Just looking for opinions to back it.

Plus, my dad has a Wii if I ever want to play one. He just got NCAA Football, Fishing and some other games for it.
you said you aren't an online gamer. If you get a 360 and purchase either call of duty 4 or call of duty world at war...you WILL become an online gamer.
Old 12-25-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I like the 360 best (I have all three) because of the online community and how easy it is to navigate online. XBLA is brilliant and my kind of gaming. I have spent tons of time with a handful of XBLA games. I use the PS3 99% to watch Blu-ray movies. I haven't used the Wii in ages. My preference for games is 360->PS3-Wii.
Old 12-25-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
From one husband to another: Keep. The. Wii. My wife bought me The Adventures of Indiana Jones DVD box set for my birthday in 2003...in full screen. To this day she chides me for exchanging it for the widescreen edition, even though I have since converted her to the format.
Old 12-25-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks.

honestly I think the wife you got the wii, so she could play some games with you. (and family/friends)

Not sure its the best move to return it for something else.
Old 12-25-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
From one husband to another: Keep. The. Wii. My wife bought me The Adventures of Indiana Jones DVD box set for my birthday in 2003...in full screen. To this day she chides me for exchanging it for the widescreen edition, even though I have since converted her to the format.
You were the only other person mentioning keep it based not on the console, but how it was received and how it will be used. Like the reason you said, and the reason I brought up. Keep the Wii

If you want a xbox 360, you are a adult, go buy yourself one later
Old 12-25-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was my wife's suggestion to exchange it if I want to. She doesn't really care. She'd actually prefer I get the XBOX because it may even be a bit cheaper. She doesn't really care about games.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 12-25-08 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-25-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get a 360, good games on the wii are pretty rare
Old 12-25-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Xbox all the way... however if you wife doesn't really MEAN what you put up there and will end up holding a grudge over this, keep the wii. :P
Old 12-25-08, 10:55 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

I have all three consoles. I LOVE my 360 and think its library outclasses the other two consoles. With that being said the Wii has a lot of games that my wife and I play together. I think she uses the console more than I do though with Mario, Wii Fit, Zelda, Boom Blox, and several others.

If she went through the trouble of getting you one I would keep it and make due with what you've got. It's something you both can enjoy and if you have kids its probably even better. Then again, if you're looking for a straight up "which is better" kind of thing just for your use I have to go with the 360 110%.
Old 12-25-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Xbox all the way... however if you wife doesn't really MEAN what you put up there and will end up holding a grudge over this, keep the wii. :P
There will be no grudge. She actually feels guilty having spent so much and almost took it back herself before today (found out after that we're preggers again).

If my daughter was older, I'd probably keep the Wii, but she's only 16 months.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 12-25-08 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-25-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
"WE'RE preggers again" aww
Old 12-25-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
"WE'RE preggers again" aww
Well, I DID have something to do with it (I hope).
Old 12-25-08, 11:42 AM

I got rid of my Wii in November and I feel great about it. Go get yourself a 360!
Old 12-25-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Dragon Fly
If she went through the trouble of getting you one I would keep it and make due with what you've got.
I know money is different for everyone, but based on Snowmaker's wife's reservations about the purchase already, you don't "make due" with a $300 purchase. If you are spending that much you get what you know will get the most use. In this case it sounds like the 360 is the clear choice based on what games/previous consoles Snowmaker is into.

The Wii is a great system, but I have my reservations about it being able to be someone's ONLY gaming system. It's a great companion piece to the PS3 or 360.

And congrats on the new kid!
Old 12-25-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

(found out after that we're preggers again).
well done.

But I would echo what dragon said. If you can swing it, keep the Wii, and get the xbox for yourself. My fiance was not a game player, but once we got the wii, she really got into super mario galaxy, boom blox and the wii fit.
Old 12-25-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
But I would echo what dragon said. If you can swing it, keep the Wii, and get the xbox for yourself.
Not even an option. I was lucky enough she let me get all I wanted this year for my HT in the basement, and I still need rear speakers.

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
and the wii fit.
I can guarantee that would never get used. My wife bought a $600 treadmill that has gone untouched for about 2+ years now. It just stands in the corner. My wife played all the Harry Potter games on XBOX and tried The Hobbit. That's about the extent of her game interest.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 12-25-08 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-25-08, 12:17 PM

this isnt even a question...360!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.