DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Pillarboxing

Old 12-24-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Pillarboxing

I just my first hdtv a couple of weeks ago, a Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U. Letterboxing has never really bothered me much but, I gotta say that pillarboxing has. It's not so much that the bars are there but that they are light gray. I was able to turn them black on my directv receiver so I was hoping there would be a way to do so for the tv itself, also. I finally found out the way but, I'm not sure if it safe or not. I went to the anti image retention on the menu under picture and turn the side bar from bright to off. Will this harm my tv?
Old 12-25-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Well, since you've only had the television for a few weeks, you have a higher chance of the black parts of your screen not being stimulated as much as your active screen which could be problematic. So, you might see a nice semi-bright square area on your screen when you turn the TV off. This is natural to some degree, but for such a new TV, you don't really want to do this at the moment. You want to burn in all the pixels on your television evenly for about 100-150 hours.

Of course, you can negate this if you watch a proportional amount of 1.78:1 ("16x9") material but if you don't, then I'd recommend avoiding this method until you've watched around 100-150 hours worth of entire-screen material. Even stretch the 4:3 content if you have to.