Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Christmas Songs/Carols You Can't Stand?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-24-08, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why anyone would hate Christmas carols but there are plenty of Christmas songs worth loathing.

I will start with 2 that I can't listen to:

Wings (with Paul McCartney) -- Wonderful Christmas Time. It's just so cold and the synthesizer is really annoying.

Bruce Springsteen -- Santa Claus is Coming to Town. The way he strains to sing the chorus of the song. UGH!
Old 12-24-08, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I always get annoyed hearing "My Favorite Things" as a Christmas song. It wasn't used that way in Sound Of Music. When the hell did that start?
Old 12-24-08, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa

Bruce Springsteen -- Santa Claus is Coming to Town. The way he strains to sing the chorus of the song. UGH!
Agreed. But for me, that has more to do with not liking "the boss" or his annoying voice because I actually like the song.
Old 12-24-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've only heard "Christmas Shoes" a couple of times - I'm actually way more familiar with Patton Oswalt's stand-up routine about the song - but I wouldn't miss it if I never heard it again.

I can't really get into "I Saw Three Ships On Christmas Day."

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I always get annoyed hearing "My Favorite Things" as a Christmas song. It wasn't used that way in Sound Of Music. When the hell did that start?
I've long wondered that myself (but I don't hate the song or anything).

Just glancing over the lyrics, I guess the words "warm woolen mittens," "sleigh bells," "snowflakes," and "silver white winters" are what move it to the Christmas category. Still, I don't personally consider it a Christmas song.

I shouldn't really bitch because "Baby, It's Cold Outside" and "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" are two of my favorite not-exactly-Christmasy Christmas songs.
Old 12-24-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
FWIW, SCTV asked this same question about "'My Favorite Things" in a skit broadcasted 27 years ago called "Dusty Towne's Sexy Holiday Special"!!!
Old 12-24-08, 09:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I don't know why anyone would hate Christmas carols but there are plenty of Christmas songs worth loathing.

I will start with 2 that I can't listen to:

Wings (with Paul McCartney) -- Wonderful Christmas Time. It's just so cold and the synthesizer is really annoying.

ZOMG, we are like totally BFF's.

I fucking hate both of those with a passion as well.

...I also hate Jose Feliciano's feliz navidad.
Old 12-24-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Many 'Christma's songs have nothing to do with Christmas... they're just about wintertime... so why aren't they played until February? It's not like the oldies stations only play Beach Boys songs in July.

Nothing to do with Christmas:
  • Jingle Bells
  • Let it Snow
  • Walking in a Winter Wonderland
  • Baby it's Cold Outside
  • Frosty the Snowman
  • You're a Mean One, Mr Grinch (not even about winter; it's just a list of insults... how festive!!)
  • Sleigh Ride

Also, anyone else think that Wham's 'Last Christmas' has nothing to do with the holiday? It's like they had a generic love/breakup song--the lyric could've been anything, 'Last Summer' for example--yet they changed one word just to get holiday sales.
Old 12-24-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

Aw I don't mind that one. I guess I can get used to My Favorite Things somwhere. I DL'd Tony Bennett on itunes and he did it for like the 100th time. Future generations will no longer question it I guess
Old 12-24-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of selling out... what does everyone think of non-Christian artists, like Neil Diamond for example, cashing in by putting out a Christmas album that sings about a Savior he doesn't believe in. Is that selling out his own religion?

I kinda see both sides of the debate (yes, seems sacriligious, but then again, he may be "in character" in songs and not be singing on behalf of himself) but wonder about others' opinions.

Last edited by GuessWho; 12-24-08 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-24-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Wham!'s "Last Christmas" is a national treasure.
Old 12-24-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Wham!'s "Last Christmas" is a national treasure.
[miracle on 34th street reference] yeah... the imagi-nation [/mo34sr]
Old 12-24-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
ZOMG, we are like totally BFF's.

I fucking hate both of those with a passion as well.

I hate that song with a passion.
Old 12-24-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Speaking of selling out... what does everyone think of non-Christian artists, like Neil Diamond for example, cashing in by putting out a Christmas album that sings about a Savior he doesn't believe in. Is that selling out his own religion?

I kinda see both sides of the debate (yes, seems sacriligious, but then again, he may be "in character" in songs and not be singing on behalf of himself) but wonder about others' opinions.
I was thinking about this the other day. Barbra Streisand released a couple of Christmas albums. The biggest selling album of 2007 was Josh Groban's "Noel" which is also doing very well this year. Bette Midler released a Christmas album last year. The Jews really know how to profit from it.

I don't mind Jose's Feliz Navidad. Much, much better than Celine Dion's cover.
Old 12-24-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
13 posts and no one has mentioned the noxious "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"?
Old 12-24-08, 04:50 PM

My fiancee' has been torturing me with that song all day! I warned her she couldn't get it out of her head, then she heard it at the supermarket and has been whistling it all afternoon!

I need heavy duty duct-tape for this one. Please stop!
Old 12-24-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
13 posts and no one has mentioned the noxious "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"?
I'll go with that one too.
Old 12-24-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
The first one that came to mind for me, although I think it's widely despised by many.

Out of the "popular favorites" of holiday songs, the one I like the least is "The Little Drummer Boy". The whole "pa rum pum pum pum" part that gets repeated again and again just annoys me to no end - man, do I hate that song!!!

Old 12-24-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the time Christmas is here I don't like any of them because they've been played non-stop since Halloween.
Old 12-24-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

First and only one that came to mind... and it's in the first post!

I actually heard it about 20 minutes ago. It would be a decent tune if they dropped the synths, but as it stands, it is annoying as fuck.
Old 12-24-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I actually heard it about 20 minutes ago. It would be a decent tune if they dropped the synths...
No it wouldn't. "Ding-Dong! Ding-Dong!"

I don't get the hate for the Boss' "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town". If you can't stand his vocals, that's fine by me -- it's classic Live Springsteen in my book. Personally, I really like the arrangement and Clarance Clemons' sax solo.

One that I really hate is "(Everybody's Waiting For) The Man With The Bag". It's such a obvious stretch just to come up with an original Christmas song. NOBODY calls Santa that. Note to songwriters : If your Christmas song sounds like an ode to a drug deal, you probably should scrap it and start over.

"Santa Baby" also annoys the fuck out of me. It might have been a little cute the first time it was performed, but the more times and variations I hear of it, the more I loathe it. It's the bitchiest, meanest spirited, least-Christmasy Christmas song ever written. And it extoles fur as well, so the PETA folks can hate it too.

Last edited by Decker; 12-24-08 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-24-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker

"Santa Baby" also annoys the fuck out of me. It might have been a little cute the first time it was performed, but the more times and variations I hear of it, the more I loathe it. It's the bitchiest, meanest spirited, least-Christmasy Christmas song ever written. And it extoles fur as well, so the PETA folks can hate it too.
Heartily seconded. A loathsome song indeed.
Old 12-24-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Santa Baby. It's one the one Christmas song that you can tell exactly what decade it was made. It also reminds of Marilyn Monroe.
Old 12-25-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt...nice.

Santa Baby by Madonna...not so much. That Betty Boop voice is unnerving.

I'll add Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - John Lennon. You know..."And so this is Christmas..." Gotta change the station when hearing it.

Last edited by big whoppa; 12-25-08 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-25-08, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't get the hate for the Boss' "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town". If you can't stand his vocals, that's fine by me -- it's classic Live Springsteen in my book. Personally, I really like the arrangement and Clarance Clemons' sax solo.
Really? Cuz The Jackson 5 did that arrangement before him... and The Crystals before that.
Old 12-25-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Winter Wonderland

Say "YES" to the snowman or he will rape you.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.