Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I think I got a Xbox Arcade for christmas. Have questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I got a Xbox Arcade for christmas. Have questions

I *think* that the better half got me a arcade xbox for christmas. The reason I think this is that we had a hard 250.00$ cap on gifts (excluding stocking stuffers- those can be anything up to 20$).

Anyways. I don't do much online gaming, I just like to play the games.

I've read though that MS is offering a 20 gig HD/3 months of live/headset to upgrade arcade users for 30.00$? Is this still going on?

Are there any games that you must have a HD for saved games? (Not downloads/updates etc).

What games should I get? I picked up some used games from blockbuster, because I thought she got me a xbox (I got gta 4, maddeon 08, crackdown and condememed)

I like RPG style games. I loved fallout on the PC, as well as Morrowind. Is Morrowind on the 360?

What other accessories do I need to get? I need to get a HD cable right? So my xbox plays on a HD TV?

Thanks!

Otto
Old 12-23-08, 11:22 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Morrowind was on the original XBox, and I don't think is compatible on the 360. The 360 does have the sequel, Oblivion which was a very well done game.

Fallout 3 on the 360 is receiving lots of positive press.

Fable 2 might be another title that you might want to check out.

Getting a 360 now is a great time as there is a large library of games that can be had pretty cheap compared to when the games first released on the system.
Old 12-23-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay..and all of those will work without a HD? (Other than the internal small one?)
Old 12-23-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh. Thanks by the way for the reply!
Old 12-23-08, 11:32 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Okay..and all of those will work without a HD? (Other than the internal small one?)
They will work without a hard drive, though you will not be able to save your games, unless you have a memory card to save the save files to.

I think the arcade comes with a small memory unit, though I am not 100% certain.
Old 12-23-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can't save games? doh.
Old 12-23-08, 11:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I like RPG style games. I loved fallout on the PC, as well as Morrowind.
You're in luck.: Fallout 3 has been recently released for the 360, and its from Bethesda (the makers of Morrowind).
Old 12-23-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
You're in luck.: Fallout 3 has been recently released for the 360, and its from Bethesda (the makers of Morrowind).

:-O!!! I had no clue! My PC can't play new games, and I had a Wii so I didn't even realize that lol.

This should be awesome.

Is Fallout 3 'toned' down compared to the original PC series?
Old 12-23-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's a jasper unit I think it has 256 mb internal memory?
Old 12-23-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Krayzie
Yup, that should be correct.

I'd recommend Mass Effect, which has been my favorite RPG on the system.
Old 12-23-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Krayzie

not sure if its a jasper unit, but I think 256 is right.
Old 12-23-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yup, that should be correct.

I'd recommend Mass Effect, which has been my favorite RPG on the system.
I read about mass effect, thats like Sci-fi RPG right? I heard it was really short like 30 hours?
Old 12-23-08, 12:01 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Circuit City online has a refurb Wireless controller and a 20 GB hard drive for $40. I received my this week, and it looks like new.
Old 12-23-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I read about mass effect, thats like Sci-fi RPG right? I heard it was really short like 30 hours?
Yeah, it's Sci-Fi and made by Bioware, so the folks that made Baldur's Gate and Knights of the Old Republic. I wouldn't consider 30 hours short, but I guess that depends if you're the type of person that likes 40-60 hour RPG's.
Old 12-23-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
Circuit City online has a refurb Wireless controller and a 20 GB hard drive for $40. I received my this week, and it looks like new.
I was going to post that but I checked online first and it was oos.
Old 12-23-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A few things...

- Get XBLive. Seriously. I know you said you don't play online, but we've got a good group of gamers around here, and you can get drawn into it. We have a lot of fun!

- Putting games on the HDD is not really something that the programmers made the games for, so there's not much benefit to it right now. Perhaps on down the line, but it's still not a big deal, IMO, because you'd still have to use the disc to access HDD content anyways.

- I'd recommend Lost Odyssey as well. Though I haven't played it yet, I plan on it (it's sealed on my shelf...thanks to the Target Clearance). The creative team behind it was great.

- Join CheapassGamer.com's forums. Always good deals to be had!
Old 12-23-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
- Putting games on the HDD is not really something that the programmers made the games for, so there's not much benefit to it right now. Perhaps on down the line, but it's still not a big deal, IMO, because you'd still have to use the disc to access HDD content anyways.
I've had the bad luck of the optical drives failing on every single one of my Xboxes. My fourth one now could only read Fallout 3 for about half an hour, then it would give me a dirty disc error.

Installing the game fixed this.
Old 12-23-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is Fallout 3 'toned' down compared to the original PC series?
Check out this thread. It's a few pages long and may have the info. you seek:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...ddy-bears.html
Old 12-23-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
So you *think* you are getting a 360 and are already buying games for it? I *think* someone will be buying a 360 after Christmas if he doesn't get one.
Old 12-23-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I *think* that the better half got me a arcade xbox for christmas. The reason I think this is that we had a hard 250.00$ cap on gifts (excluding stocking stuffers- those can be anything up to 20$).

Anyways. I don't do much online gaming, I just like to play the games.

I've read though that MS is offering a 20 gig HD/3 months of live/headset to upgrade arcade users for 30.00$? Is this still going on?

Are there any games that you must have a HD for saved games? (Not downloads/updates etc).

What games should I get? I picked up some used games from blockbuster, because I thought she got me a xbox (I got gta 4, maddeon 08, crackdown and condememed)

I like RPG style games. I loved fallout on the PC, as well as Morrowind. Is Morrowind on the 360?

What other accessories do I need to get? I need to get a HD cable right? So my xbox plays on a HD TV?

Thanks!

Otto
The 360 is actually very similar to PC gaming imho, just cheaper and with fewer compatibility issues.

I would track down a 20gb hdd to get patches and the occasional game download (Xbox Live Arcade offers a lot of fun titles ranging from Braid to Bomberman to Doom to Duke Nukem to Street Fighter 2 in HD) or video download (trailers, TV shows, movies, HD movie rentals, etc; ) it adds a lot to the system.

I agree with getting Oblivion (which can be had for cheap), I'm not the most avid fan of the Elder Scrolls series but it is easily my favorite of the bunch, Fallout 3 (Fallout crossed with Morrorwind/Oblivion gameplay), Fable 2, and Mass Effect. Gears of War / Gears of War 2 are extremely fun albeit somewhat short games (they last w/ the online component, which includes multiplayer co-op). GTA4 and Crackdown should cover you for "Sandbox" style games. Madden is madden and Condemned is fun but short and somewhat repetitive. Some other noteworthy games include The Orange Box (Half-life 2 + ep 1 and 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2), BioShock (one of the most atmospheric games ever created), and more recently Dead Space.

My personal most played game for the year thus far has been Rock Band 2.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-23-08 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-23-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

not sure if its a jasper unit, but I think 256 is right.
If it has 256mb internal memory = Jasper
256mb memory card = Falcon
Old 12-23-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by michael corvin
so you *think* you are getting a 360 and are already buying games for it? I *think* someone will be buying a 360 after christmas if he doesn't get one.
:d
Old 12-23-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
The 360 is actually very similar to PC gaming imho, just cheaper and with fewer compatibility issues.

I would track down a 20gb hdd to get patches and the occasional game download (Xbox Live Arcade offers a lot of fun titles ranging from Braid to Bomberman to Doom to Duke Nukem to Street Fighter 2 in HD) or video download (trailers, TV shows, movies, HD movie rentals, etc; ) it adds a lot to the system.

I agree with getting Oblivion (which can be had for cheap), I'm not the most avid fan of the Elder Scrolls series but it is easily my favorite of the bunch, Fallout 3 (Fallout crossed with Morrorwind/Oblivion gameplay), Fable 2, and Mass Effect. Gears of War / Gears of War 2 are extremely fun albeit somewhat short games (they last w/ the online component, which includes multiplayer co-op). GTA4 and Crackdown should cover you for "Sandbox" style games. Madden is madden and Condemned is fun but short and somewhat repetitive. Some other noteworthy games include The Orange Box (Half-life 2 + ep 1 and 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2), BioShock (one of the most atmospheric games ever created), and more recently Dead Space.

My personal most played game for the year thus far has been Rock Band 2.
Thanks. Definitely some titles to check out
Old 12-23-08, 02:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Here's what he's really getting:

Spoiler:
Old 12-23-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My parents bought my brother a 360 for Xmas, so I got him 3 games for under $50:

- GTA IV
- Bioshock
- The Orange Box

All 3 are among the best on the system, and I highly recommend each.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.