Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can't get HDMI to work on DVD player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a new upconverting DVD player (Philips DVP 5982) and I can't get a signal for it on HDMI. Component works ok, and I tried all the HD resolutions on the player's settings and get nothing. The TV is 720p. When I'm on HDMI, I get a quick no disc message on the TV when it boots up, but the signal is gone after a few seconds.
Old 12-22-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If the image is there and goes away after a few seconds, it sounds like a handshake issue.
Old 12-22-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where'd you get the HDMI cable?
Old 12-23-08, 01:30 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Interesting...

I just tried a Philips 5992 with a HDMI cable that came with a monitor and all I could get was weird colors. I could read the screen, it recognized resolution changes, but the setup menu colors were kind of psychedelic, a B&W movie displayed as green and white. Component works fine and the HDMI port on the TV works fine too.
Old 12-23-08, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Appears to be a known issue and may require a firmware update.

I have found with this player that the handshake does not work well when the player is already on but the LCD is not.

For those with HDMI problems, try powering on your display device BEFORE powering on the DVD player. For me, it seems if the display device is ready to handshake first then I have no problems with HDMI but if I power up the DVD player first, it may not display properly.
This is even after upgrading the firmware a few weeks ago (don't recall which version).
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...819468&page=47
Old 12-23-08, 11:45 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I solved my problem by unplugging the player from the wall socket for a minute and then plugging it back in.
Old 12-23-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X
Interesting...

I just tried a Philips 5992 with a HDMI cable that came with a monitor and all I could get was weird colors. I could read the screen, it recognized resolution changes, but the setup menu colors were kind of psychedelic, a B&W movie displayed as green and white. Component works fine and the HDMI port on the TV works fine too.
when I was testing my 5992, I pulled the hdmi that goes from my computer to my tv. when I plugged in the hdmi, I had no problems and the picture looked fine. when I went back to the other cable, everything was all green. I turned off the display and back on and it had the correct picture.

EDIT: I just read that you found out what the problem was.
Old 12-24-08, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the help, I read more about the player at avs forum and it seems there is a problem with it and Olevia TVs. It was returned and got a cheaper player that seems to work OK over HDMI now.