Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Round two of the Video Game Draft Tournament!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to round two of the Video Game Draft Tournament! 16 DVDTalkers drafted 10 console or portable video games.
Round one of voting resulted in 8 teams going onto round 2. Now it is up you, the fine gamers of DVDTalk, to vote on which player has drafted the best collection in this the N.I.T. bracket.

Players have been randomly paired up by me picking slips of paper out of a They Might Be Giants Beanie. To vote simply post in this thread telling me who you think has the best lineup. Your vote will not count unless you vote on every pair! Your vote will not count if you edit the post where you vote!

Players in the game are encouraged to vote. Optionally, they are also allowed to post to this thread telling everybody why they think you should vote for their collection.

So, let the voting begin! Voting ends on Tuesday, December 23rd, at the exact time of the timestamp of this post. Match-ups will be listed in post #2.

Good luck to all the participants!

Last edited by orangecrush; 12-19-08 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-19-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Matches:
Groucho
1. Super Mario Brothers 3 (NES)
2. Kid Icarus (NES)
3. Earthbound (SNES)
4. Star Fox (SNES)
5. Blast Corps (N64)
6. Tekken 3 (Playstation)
7. Geometry Wars 2 (360)
8. Shenmue (DC)
9. Samba de Amigo (DC)
10. Project Gotham Racing 2 (Xbox)

vs.

Michael Corvin
1. Super Mario Galaxy (wii)
2. Rock Band 2 (Xbox 360)
3. Okami (PS2)
4. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (xbox)
5. Mega Man II (NES)
6. Eternal Darkness (Gamecube)
7. Tomb Raider (Playstation)
8. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
9. F-Zero (SNES)
10. Bomberman '93 (Turbografx-16)

Mattysemo247
1. Super Mario 64 (N64)
2. Tetris (NES)
3. Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)
4. Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
5. Psychonauts (Xbox)
6. Forza 2 (360)
7. Zelda : Twilight Princess (Wii)
8. Resistance 2 (PS3)
9. Half Life 2 (XBox)
10. Resident Evil 1 (Gamecube)

vs.

Vryce
1. Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360)
2. Legend of Zelda (NES)
3. Final Fantasy II (SNES)
4. Ico (PS2)
5. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
6. Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3)
7. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
8. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
9. Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
10. Loco Roco (PSP)

jdpatri
1. Super Metroid (SNES)
2. Goldeneye (N64)
3. LittleBigPlanet (PS3)
4. Gran Turismo 3: A-spec (PS2)
5. Mortal Kombat II (Genesis)
6. Katamari Damacy (PS2)
7. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
8. Crystalis (NES)
9. Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS)
10.Mutant League Football (Genesis)

vs.

DVDChris
1. Legend of Zelda Link to the Past (SNES)
2. Super Mario Bros (NES)
3. Halo 3 (xbox 360)
4. Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES)
5. Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
6. Mega Man X (SNES)
7. Animal Crossing (GC)
8. Guitar Hero III (xbox 360)
9. Tetris DS (DS)
10.Wii Sports (Wii)

Jeremy517
1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
2. Final Fantasy III (SNES)
3. Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360)
4. Pac-Man Championship Edition (Xbox 360)
5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
6. Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
7. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
8. New Super Mario Bros (DS)
9. Battletoads (NES)
10. Gran Turismo 2 (Playstation)

vs.

Orangecrush18
1. Final Fantasy VII (Playstation)
2. Halo 2 (Xbox)
3. Rock Band (Xbox 360)
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
5. Mario Kart (DS)
6. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Dreamcast)
7. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sega Saturn)
8. God of War 2 (PS2)
9. Tetris Attack (SNES)
10. Sonic CD (Sega CD)
Old 12-19-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Groucho based on the strength of Mario 3.
Vryce based on the strength of the original Zelda
DVDChris based on the strength of Link to the Past and Punch Out
Orangecrush18 based on FF7 and God of War 2

Old 12-19-08, 01:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Groucho vs. Michael Corvin -- Michael's list is better in terms of more recent games, but more games on my list have stood the test of time.

Mattysemo247 vs. Vryce -- Half-Life 2 on Xbox almost lost you this one, Matty. But the one-on-one matchups got you through: Zelda TP over Zelda 1, Mario 64 over Mario World 2, Resistance 2 over Resistance.

jdpatri vs. DVDChris -- A very close matchup for me. Some of Chris's picks seemed questionable in the second half, though.

Jeremy517 vs. Orangecrush18 -- Both offer a nice mix of games. Orange's list is good, but Jeremy's is fantastic.
Old 12-19-08, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
So, let the voting begin! Voting ends on Friday, December 19th, at the exact time of the timestamp of this post.
So voting ended as soon as it began?

Old 12-19-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Damn... here's where it all goes downhill.
Old 12-19-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
So voting ended as soon as it began?

Old 12-19-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Groucho vs. Michael Corvin - Rock Band 2 is an insta-vote for me. You've got some good stuff, Groucho, but nothing can beat RB2, even if every other game on Corvin's list was some shitty sports game.

Mattysemo247 vs. Vryce - I haven't played about half the games on either list, but Forza 2 sucked up a lot of hours for me earlier this year.

jdpatri vs. DVDChris - Katamari and Gran Turismo are definitely winners!

Jeremy517 vs. orangecrush18 - This one was tough for me. Both have excellent games, but Rock Band was in orangecrush's list, so he gets the point.
Old 12-19-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Groucho vs Michael Corvin - After winning the Mario battle (SMB3 takes Galaxy soundly), Groucho's list takes a turn when Kid Icarus goes up against Rock Band 2. From then on, it's the case of preferring MC's game or having not played Groucho's. Corvin's only blemish, in my mind, is Tomb Raider.

Mattysemo247 vs. Vryce - Mattysemo247 wins the battle of the #1's and takes the top 4 spots by a close margin. SM64, Tetris and Kingdom Hearts is a strong trio. I don't love GTA as much as the next guy, which allows Vryce's solid group to climb back into contention. After that, the combination of Colossus, SMW2 and Sonic best the bottom half of Matty's. So so close, but ultimately, for me, it comes back down to that ultra-strong top 4 of Matty's. This one might change depending on my mood, time of day, or what I had for lunch.

jdpatri vs. DVDChris - I had me at Super Metroid.

Jeremy517 vs. Orangecrush18 - Tough for me because I haven't played 6 of Orangecrush18's list compared to only 2 of Jeremy's. And he's got some good ones. Ocarina, Prime 3, New Super Mario are solid picks in their slots. I don't remember FFIII very well, though I enjoyed all the old Final Fantasy's, so I assume I have no obvious objections. I wish I could give Rock Band more support as one of my favorite games of all time, but that, Brawl (my least favorite of the Smash Bros titles) and Mario Kart DS are just fighting a war they just cannot win.
Old 12-19-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Groucho v. Michael Corvin - Groucho nails it with Blast Corps, Kid Icarus, & Mario 3. Plus I even put GeoWars 2 in my top 5 for the year, but really, how can I argue with Michael Corvin's list? That's perfection baby!

Mattysemo247 v. Vryce - again, I can't deny Vryce has some very critically acclaimed games, but I have played and enjoyed 7 of the games on matty's list. Although, I'm going to go on a limb and take Vryce on this one. Even though I haven't played most of them, I have played most of Matty's and while I enjoyed them all, they were all good, not great. Mario 64 hasn't aged well, Tetris on the NES is an odd choice, Twilight Princess didn't do it for me, RE1 remake was solid but not mind blowing, and Half-Life 2 seemed like a desperate choice since the Orange Box is disqualified. Vryce wins with his critically acclaimed choices.

jdpatri v. DVDChris - jdpatri starts out with a couple heavy hitters that I love, but in the end, DVDChris' list reads like an alternate list I could have put together.

Jeremy517 v. Orangecrush - like jdapatri, orange starts out strong with Halo 2 & Rock Band in the top 3, but Pac-Man: CE tops them both, as does Ocarina. Everything else (Gears, New Super Mario, GHII, Metroid) almost reads like another list I would have made. A few of the others are questionable, but he wins it in the end based on the strength of Pac-Man & Zelda.
Old 12-19-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jdpatri
Corvin's only blemish, in my mind, is Tomb Raider.
Really? See, I've never owned a PS1 or PS2 but wanted some representation and what better way than the buxom in the blue top that kept the adventure genre alive? Hmph...
Old 12-19-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will show the games I particularly liked in people’s list.

Groucho
1. Super Mario Brothers 3 (NES)
2. Kid Icarus (NES)
3. Earthbound (SNES)
5. Blast Corps (N64)
7. Geometry Wars 2 (360)
8. Shenmue (DC)

vs.

Michael Corvin
1. Super Mario Galaxy (wii)
2. Rock Band 2 (Xbox 360)
3. Okami (PS2)
4. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (xbox)
5. Mega Man II (NES)
8. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
9. F-Zero (SNES)
10. Bomberman '93 (Turbografx-16)

This one was tough as Groucho has some real classics. However, if I were stuck with only one list on a desert island, I would want Michael’s.

Mattysemo247
1. Super Mario 64 (N64)
2. Tetris (NES)
4. Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
5. Psychonauts (Xbox)
7. Zelda : Twilight Princess (Wii)

vs.

Vryce
2. Legend of Zelda (NES)
3. Final Fantasy II (SNES)
4. Ico (PS2)
5. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
7. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
8. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
10. Loco Roco (PSP)

Vryce’s list almost entirely consists of some of the best games for each system represented. I will give it to him.

jdpatri
1. Super Metroid (SNES)
2. Goldeneye (N64)
3. LittleBigPlanet (PS3)
6. Katamari Damacy (PS2)
7. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
9. Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS)
10.Mutant League Football (Genesis)

vs.

DVDChris
1. Legend of Zelda Link to the Past (SNES)
2. Super Mario Bros (NES)
3. Halo 3 (xbox 360)
4. Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES)
5. Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
6. Mega Man X (SNES)
8. Guitar Hero III (xbox 360)

The hardest choice for me thus far. Katamari is one of my top 10 games all time along with Super Metroid. Goldeneye has not aged well at all, but I spent countless hours playing this with friends in college. DVDChris has also selected some of the best games for his respective systems. I just have to go with jdpatri here.

Jeremy517
1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
2. Final Fantasy III (SNES)
3. Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360)
4. Pac-Man Championship Edition (Xbox 360)
6. Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
7. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
8. New Super Mario Bros (DS)
9. Battletoads (NES)

vs.

Orangecrush18
1. Final Fantasy VII (Playstation)
2. Halo 2 (Xbox)
3. Rock Band (Xbox 360)
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
5. Mario Kart (DS)
6. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Dreamcast)
7. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sega Saturn)
8. God of War 2 (PS2)
9. Tetris Attack (SNES)
10. Sonic CD (Sega CD)

Orangecrush has the far superior music game. Jeremy’s list is also lacking any fighting games. There is not a single bad game on Orangecrush’s list. There are a few games on Jeremy517’s list I do not care for.
Old 12-19-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Really? See, I've never owned a PS1 or PS2 but wanted some representation and what better way than the buxom in the blue top that kept the adventure genre alive? Hmph...
Sorry. I was late to the Tomb Raider craze... and when I finally got around to playing this one, I was just left with a lot of 'eh.'

It made me want to play more Prince of Persia... just no more Tomb Raider.
Old 12-19-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jdpatri
Sorry. I was late to the Tomb Raider craze... and when I finally got around to playing this one, I was just left with a lot of 'eh.'

It made me want to play more Prince of Persia... just no more Tomb Raider.
My first foray into Lara-world was Legends, so I never played it either.
Old 12-19-08, 03:18 PM

Not to pimp Corvin's collection any, but I think the original Tomb Raider was a solid game that was tainted by the numerous crap sequels.
Old 12-19-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
Orangecrush has the far superior music game. Jeremy’s list is also lacking any fighting games. There is not a single bad game on Orangecrush’s list. There are a few games on Jeremy517’s list I do not care for.
I, for one, am simply shocked that you did not find a single bad game on your own list.

Also, referring to yourself in the third person in hopes that people don't notice that you are complimenting your own list?
Old 12-19-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not to pimp Corvin's collection any, but I think the original Tomb Raider was a solid game that was tainted by the numerous crap sequels.
Hear that orange? Groucho wants to change his vote!

But seriously, I thought of the sequel factor when I picked it but assumed everyone here could rise above it.
Old 12-19-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's see, I'll vote without checking my picks in my previous round, so I can see how consisten I am.

And orangecrush, I if I vote for you I promise to double check that I bolded your name this time.

Groucho vs. Michael Corvin :
SMB3 is one of most played games of all time. And almost everyone has fond memories of it. Tekken 3 was really good at its time, although I'm more of a Tekken Tag player... I played hours of PGR2 and it's one of my favorite Xbox games. Geometry Wars is my favorite XBLA game. It's my 4th most played game according to 360voice.

Mattysemo247 vs. Vryce :
This was really hard. Both have a Resistance game. They have some games I love, some I have, some I've never played. They are pretty similar.
I tried different ways to choose a winner, but there was always something that would make me change, it was a tie for me. So I chose Vryce just because I like his avatar. Sorry matty.
jdpatri vs. DVDChris :
Goldeneye is a classic. For many it set the standard for FPS. LBP is such a beautiful and fun game. Old school fun. It may be the best PS3-exclusive game released this year. GT3 was one of my favorite PS2 games. I kept that game until the end. I loved Katamari Damacy, I discovered that game thanks to this forum and I really enjoyed it. I also played the sequels but they lost the newness... so KD was a really good pick.
Jeremy517 vs. Orangecrush18:
Sorry, this time is not a mistake. Although I don't like the FF games, I think FF7 was a solid pick. Halo 2 is the weakest of the thrilogy but it's still Halo. Online MP was never so much fun. Again, RB2 is the one that everyone will remember but RB1 set the first stone. It changed musical games forever. God of War 2 was really good, too bad that was released by the end of the PS2. I hope it doesn't happens the same with God of War 3.

Spoiler:

Yes, I tried to give some words of encouragement to the losers.
Now for the winners.
1.- MC: RB2 will give you a lot of votes here. Again, like in the past round, I'm not sure if selecting one game from each console will be positive at the end. Since Groucho went too (ultra?) old school it was an easy pick for me.
2.- Vryce: Your avatar.
3.- DVDChris: Halo 3 is my most played games. I'll keep that game until the end of the Xbox 360 and I think I'll keep playing it until then. I love/hate GH3, but I really love the guitar that came with it. Oh and I may be the only one thinking that Wii Sports as a 10 pick is not a bad thing.
4.- Jeremy517: Last time you lost by only one game. I saw Fallout 3 and that was it. Sorry. It was a good matchup with orangecrush this time. Halo 2 vs Gears of War 2. No contest here. Gears is so much better. Even with the bad online MP, is it fixed already?, Gears was one of my favorite games this year. GH2 was the first game Guitar Hero game that went noticed. Like GTAIII. Thanks to GH2 everyone had to buy GH3 when it was released. San Andreas is also a game that I really liked, I even played it in the PC just to see if there was an improvement in the graphics, not really.
Old 12-19-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Michael Corvin - Mega Man 2, Eternal Darkness, Tomb Raider and F-Zero give this list the edge over Groucho's

Mattysemo247 - This one was tight, but I've never been a big fan of Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy or Sonic games and like just about everything on the other list.

DVDChris - As much as I love Super Metroid and Katamari Damacy, I'd trade everything on jdpatri's list for the first 4 on DVDChris'.

Jeremy517 - Fairly even, but Ocarina of Time tilts the scales.
Old 12-19-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hear that orange? Groucho wants to change his vote!

But seriously, I thought of the sequel factor when I picked it but assumed everyone here could rise above it.

I've never played anything other than the original.
Old 12-19-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Raul3
Since Groucho went too (ultra?) old school it was an easy pick for me.
Two NES games and two SNES games is ultra old school? Man I feel old. We had gaming for a good decade before the NES, it's just no one was ballsy enough to pick one.
Old 12-19-08, 03:56 PM

I think you'd be creaming me even if nine games in your collection were Tomb Raider sequels, just on the virtues of Rock Band 2.
Old 12-19-08, 03:57 PM

Two NES games and two SNES games is ultra old school? Man I feel old. We had gaming for a good decade before the NES, it's just no one was ballsy enough to pick one.
I came close to grabbing Adventure for the 2600.
Old 12-19-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I came close to grabbing Adventure for the 2600.
I thought about Venture for the Colecovision.... I'm getting the feeling it wouldn't have garnered me any votes. It'll just have to remain #11 in my head.
Old 12-19-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Groucho vs. Michael Corvin - it basically came down to Shenmue vs. Rock Band 2 + Tomb Raider because there are no other games in either list that I give a shit about and as much as I LOVE Shenmue I can't vote for it alone against the likes of RB2 AND TR.

Mattysemo247 vs. Vryce - Same situation as the first matchup, only 3 titles I care about, but in this case even though Ico and SOTC are great great games they are trumped by Grand Theft Auto III which is one of, if not THE best game of all time IMO.

jdpatri vs. DVDChris - DVDChris has some good games in there but jdpatri's list is just way too strong (Super Metroid, GT3, MKII, Crystalis, Mutant League Football). Very nice picks!

Jeremy517 vs. Orangecrush18 - very even matchup, but I give the nod to Jeremy517.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.