Reload this Page >

Jeremy Piven walks away from Broadway show

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-18-08, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not quite a TV story, but Jeremy Piven (Entourage) seems to be doing a self-destruct in New York, and has fled back to L.A. after walking out on a hit Broadway show. As reported in today's NY Post:

It's curtains for Jer emy Piven.

The hard-living "En tourage" actor claims that he's too sick to show up for his Broadway gig - and that a mysterious "mercury" ailment has forced him to abandon the stage.

Piven missed Tuesday night's per formance - as well as yesterday's mati nee and evening performances - of "Speed-the-Plow," much to the anger of ticket holders.

Piven, who flew to Los Angeles last night, is under con tract to perform throughout the show's run, which began in October and is slated to end Feb. 22.

Over the past few weeks, the star had complained of "exhaustion" and "being tired," sources told The Post.

The popular play's investors aren't buying it - and are discussing calling in their own doctor in to get a "second opinion," the sources said.

Daily Variety reported that Piven said he was suffering from a "high level of mercury," leading Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright David Mamet, who wrote the showbiz satire, to remark tartly, "My understanding is that he is leaving show business to pursue a career as a thermometer."

Piven's reps did not elaborate on what was ailing the Emmy Award-winning actor.

Piven, 43, is famous for playing fast-talking, party-animal agent Ari Gold on the HBO hit "Entourage."

Sources said that Piven hasn't been too sick to party after performances - hanging out at bars into the wee hours, despite his grueling schedule of eight performances a week.

Witnesses have told The Post that Piven is a regular at the Lower East Side bar The Eldridge.

"He lives his life very much like the way his character on 'Entourage' does," said one source.

I hate it when someone whose talent I respect starts behaving like an asshole. Not a smart move, especially when you're in awards contention.
Old 12-18-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh boy, I saw this thread on the forum home page and all it read was "Jeremy Piven walks away from". I was ready to throw a fit if it was Entourage.
Old 12-18-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
I hate it when someone whose talent I respect starts behaving like an asshole. Not a smart move, especially when you're in awards contention.
Starts?
Old 12-18-08, 07:39 AM
Zee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just saw him in the show a few days ago. He seemed perfectly fine and was laughing and joking with his co-stars at curtain call. Liked his performance a lot, but all anyone could talk about as the left the theatre was the "other guy" (Raul Esparza). Sad that this happened.
Old 12-18-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Starts?
I take it he has that reputation already? Just wondering.
Old 12-18-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
yeah, it's pretty much known he's a fucking prick. this is just a more public way for him to show it
Old 12-18-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GradVT06
I take it he has that reputation already? Just wondering.
Let's just say he's a method actor and he LOVES playing Ari.
Old 12-18-08, 09:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Sources said that Piven hasn't been too sick to party after performances - hanging out at bars into the wee hours, despite his grueling schedule of eight performances a week.
hmmm, you think??

Originally Posted by Zee
I just saw him in the show a few days ago. He seemed perfectly fine and was laughing and joking with his co-stars at curtain call. Liked his performance a lot, but all anyone could talk about as the left the theatre was the "other guy" (Raul Esparza). Sad that this happened.
and I wasn't invited
Old 12-18-08, 11:36 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mr. Mamet told Variety that Mr. Piven, the “Entourage” star, had left the show because he had been feeling ill recently due to a high mercury count. “I talked to Jeremy on the phone, and he told me that he discovered that he had a very high level of mercury,” Mr. Mamet said, according to Variety. “So my understanding is that he is leaving show business to pursue a career as a thermometer.”
Old 12-18-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to Variety, Piven's doc told him to quit show:

By MICHAEL FLEMING, GORDON COX

William H. Macy and Norbert Leo Butz will take over for Jeremy Piven in the Broadway revival of "Speed-the-Plow."

Piven’s abrupt exit from the show, blamed on high levels of mercury, had temperatures rising Wednesday, and prompted playwright David Mamet to speculate Piven might seek a new career as a thermometer. But Piven’s physician said the malady is a genuine health scare for the actor.

Deals have swiftly been hammered out for Macy and Butz, with Tony winner Butz ("Dirty Rotten Scoundrels") playing Piven's role Dec. 23 - Jan. 11 and longtime Mamet collaborator Macy stepping into the part for the remainder of the production's run, which ends Feb. 22.

Before Butz joins the cast, the role of producer Bobby Gould will be played by Jordan Lage in the Hollywood satire. Three-hander also stars Raul Esparza and Elisabeth Moss.

On Wednesday, “Entourage” star Piven dropped the final curtain on his well-reviewed Broadway turn, to which he had committed until late February. Thesp made the move after missing Tuesday evening’s performance and skipping the show's two Wednesday perfs.

Although legiters view Piven's health claims with skepticism, the thesp's doctor stands by the diagnosis.

“Jeremy has been a trooper, and did everything he could to fight extreme fatigue, among other things, since the condition was diagnosed,” said Dr. Carlon Colker. “It was not his decision to step away from this play, it was mine. I think it was in the best interests of his health to do that.”

Colker is an attending physician at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York, and Greenwich Hospital in Connecticut, and he is the CEO and medical director of Peak Wellness. He said that Piven’s mercury score was alarmingly high, and it was unclear why that level spiked so high.

“The etiology is unclear, but his level of mercury was uncharacteristically high, one of the highest we’ve seen,” Colker said. “We’re not sure if this is from his diet, which is high in fish, or Chinese herbs, which he’s been a fan of in the past, or a combination of both. He needs convalescence and rest and treatment, and this will clear his body and he will be back in action very soon. Again, it was not his decision, it was mine, along with a board certified cardiologist from Yale who I won’t name, but who has 29 years of experience.”

Colker said that skepticism and critical reaction — like the Mamet barb — were unwarranted.

“Any insensitive comments like that are not only unkind and unfair, they reflect a profound lack of understanding of a problem that can actually kill,” Colker said, who added that Piven’s stamina wore down over time.

“He did the best he could to hang in there as the rigors of the show continued to increase in intensity, which, coupled with his symptoms, became increasingly difficult to contend with,” Colker said. “I felt the need to step in and make the decision for him to stop.”
Old 12-18-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

William H. Macy trumps Jeremy Piven in every facet, so this is a positive addition for anyone attending the show.
Old 12-18-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE
“So my understanding is that he is leaving show business to pursue a career as a thermometer.”

I get the sense that Jeremy Piven feels like he should have had this success years ago -- like his bud John Cusack -- and is apparently making up for lost time.
Old 12-18-08, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone

I get the sense that Jeremy Piven feels like he should have had this success years ago -- like his bud John Cusack -- and is apparently making up for lost time.

but does John Cusack do theatre - it takes alot more talent and work to do stage work than film. Jeremy really kind of fucked up here.
Old 12-18-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
but does John Cusack do theatre - it takes alot more talent and work to do stage work than film. Jeremy really kind of fucked up here.
True but it sounds like he is burning the candle at both ends.
"I'd like to talk to y'all for a second if I can, 'cause you know, basically I get to start off thanking God that I'm alive and well enough to be with you today, and it's always as well as it is. You see, less than two years ago... I found myself in a real bad situation. I found myself down on the ground and I couldn't get up, and I mean I was trying and I couldn't. What I'm telling you about is, you see I thought I could stay at the party forever, it don't work that way, 'cause that shit will kill ya, that stuff will kill ya. All I'm asking you to do, is to stay away from them drugs and things cause what they do is they eat ya inside out, you know they make you forget about those people that you really love, and it makes you run from love, 'cause you can't stand how good it looks. I'm asking you to take care of yourself, so you can be there for your brothers and sisters when they need ya, are you with me?"

-- Stevie Ray Vaughn, "Life Without You (live)"
Old 12-18-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A rectal thermometer?
Old 12-18-08, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
A rectal thermometer?

Old 12-18-08, 04:46 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
What an arrogant C Suck
Old 12-18-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercury poisoning is no walk in the park. I wish him a speedy recovery.