Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Justify my Purchase: PS3 or 360? (Little Big Planet)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 11:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm trying to talk myself in to purchasing a PS3 or a 360. You can help.

I own a Wii, a PS2, a gaming computer and two other PC's. I have 2 kids (8&9) who play a lot of Popcap & a decent amount of Wii. I have owned a 360 TWICE, both times so I could play Dead Rising, and both times I sold it.

I have two things driving a purchase: Little Big Planet & media streaming.

I want to play LBP. I think my kids would like it also.

I am very interested in a streaming media server, to which I can connect multiple terrabyte drives to stream music & music to the Tv. I understand the 360 can now do this via SMB. The Netflix integration is kind of nice also.

I'm not sure about Blue-Ray/HD via the PS3; I don't think it's a major pus or minus. It would be a nice bonus, but is not a major factor. I've seen HD and I know what makes it tick and I know the diff isn't that large.

Can someone justify me purchasing either a PS3, another 360, or both? I may end up going with a standalone media server to get the Netflix/streaming that the 360 provides, and it seems hard to justify the PS3 for just 1 game. (Your FPS/shooter arguments are lost on me. I'm a bigot: those game genres are infinitely better on the PC; which immediately removes from consideration major portions of the PS3 & 360 game libraries.)
Old 12-16-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are not mentioning any game you want to play in the Xbox 360, besides Dead Rising I guess
So I would say go with the PS3, LBP it's a lot of fun and your kids will love it. You can play coop and have a lot of fun with them.
Media streaming works the same with the PS3 and the Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 accepts more codecs, PS3 is more limited so may have to consider that too.
Old 12-16-08, 11:54 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

It depends on the type of games you are looking for.

Now is a really good time to get into the 360 market. Not only has the console come down in price, there are a ton of games out there at really cheap prices.

The 360 can stream netflix offerings if you have a gold live account and a netflix account that allows streaming. The 360 can also connect to your computer if you have media center xp or vista installed.

The PS3 has LBP, so if that is your must play game, then you will need to purchase a PS3. The blu-ray movie function is really nice, but you stated that it isn't really an issue in your decision.

If you are just interested in games, I would look at the libraries of both systems and decide on those. Both systems have a fair amount of titles on both systems, so you really only have to focus on exclusives. And then decide on which system has more exclusive games you want to play.

Really, you can't go wrong with either system. And of course, the best option would be to get both. But, money often does not allow that course of action.
Old 12-16-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
What Vryce said. You can't go wrong with either. Even though you can't stream Netflix on the PS3, it is very convenient for renting Blu-rays. So Netflix works in favor of both systems. Also XBLA tends to have more of the Pop-cap like games you mentioned.
Old 12-16-08, 12:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The problem may be that I don't find the content on either system that compelling, especially when compared to the PC. LBP is the only thing on the PS3 that's interesting and Dead Rising was the only thing on 360. Blue-Ray is not a compelling reason (for me) and I suspect that I'd be more happy with streaming support from a third-party box.

I'm trying to find a good reason to justify purchasing a PS3, beyond LBP, and I think I'm tossing the 360 in to the ring to seem fair.

Back to Purgatory for me, I think ...
Old 12-16-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Even though you can't stream Netflix on the PS3,
I understand you mean "natively", but PlayOn works perfectly fine for PS3 Netflix streaming.
Old 12-16-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Sounds like you just have money to burn then. Put it towards something more useful then. New laptop? TV? etc.
Old 12-16-08, 12:32 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sounds like you just have money to burn then. Put it towards something more useful then. New laptop? TV? etc.
That sounds like a better use of money if software is not luring you to one console or the other.

If you are only interested in one game on each system, it sounds like you are wanting to buy a console just to have one rather then buying it based on games to play.
Old 12-16-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is a 3rd party box for streaming? If the PS3 isn't that much more I would go that route. There are tons of good non-FPS games (in my opinion), and Little Big Planet is awesome!
Old 12-16-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Ps3 can stream most media formats.
Old 12-16-08, 01:15 PM

Netflix will probably be available for streaming on the PS3 sometime in 2009.
Old 12-16-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The PS3 and the 360 can stream equally well. I have a slight preference for the PS3 since I can seek down to the minute in a large file, but honestly, there's not much of a difference.

What third party box are you thinking of? The Popcorn Hour is more expensive than a 360.

If you don't see the difference between SD and HD and there's no compelling games on either system, I honestly don't know what to tell you.
Old 12-16-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Definitely don't buy a PS3 just for LBP. You will be disappointed. It is an okay game but it seems highly overrated and is not a "system seller."
Old 12-16-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Definitely don't buy a PS3 just for LBP. You will be disappointed. It is an okay game but it seems highly overrated and is not a "system seller."
I've yet to meet a person disappointed by it.
Old 12-16-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say go with the 360 because of price, features and library. Plus there are plenty of casual games in the arcade, which seem like they would appeal to your family. You really can't go wrong right now getting the Arcade model for some casual gaming.
Old 12-16-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

PS3.

You can use PlayOn to stream Netflix and stream music, pictures and movies with something like TVersity.

You may not see th ebenefit of the Blu-ray player but in reality, you will use it and probably make the HD switch soon anyway.

PS3 has built in wireless and no annual on-line costs.
Old 12-16-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gcbrowni
The problem may be that I don't find the content on either system that compelling, especially when compared to the PC.
What kind of games do you play on your PC? I would have thought the 360 would be a good parallel to the type of big release games on the PC.
Old 12-16-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got my PS3 a little over a month ago and it's easily one of the better console purchases I've ever made. It beat the 360 for me, but from what I understand, that's all a matter of preference. However, from the sound of it, you only want to get a PS3 to try out LittleBigPlanet, so I'd say maybe you'd want to look into renting the console and game first before dropping $460+ to try it out. Then again, you bought and sold two 360s for the same game, so money sounds like it's not an issue for you.

Originally Posted by The Bus
I've yet to meet a person disappointed by it.
Right here. I loved the look of it, but the levels on the disc got really hard really fast, largely because the controls leave a lot to be desired which is simply unforgivable in a platformer. Luckily, I only rented it instead of going out and buying it.
Old 12-16-08, 03:56 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
PS3.

You can use PlayOn to stream Netflix and stream music, pictures and movies with something like TVersity.

You may not see th ebenefit of the Blu-ray player but in reality, you will use it and probably make the HD switch soon anyway.

PS3 has built in wireless and no annual on-line costs.
Take with a grain of salt... Sure, it has no annual on-line costs, yet. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. The on-line experience on the PS3 is sub-par, at best.

Wireless built in is really a non-issue when I picked up the PS3 and I hardwired mine in. I really didn't want to rely on my wireless signal which can run into issues when playing a game or streaming media. I much prefer a wired connect. I honestly scratch my head a lot when people tout that "feature" as a reason to buy a PS3 over a 360.
Old 12-16-08, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vryce
Take with a grain of salt... Sure, it has no annual on-line costs, yet. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. The on-line experience on the PS3 is sub-par, at best.
That is simply ridiculous. Sure the online experience may not come with as many bells and whistles on the PlayStation 3 as the X-Box 360 does, but if you are buying a game with online capabilities the PlayStation 3 will work just as flawlessly with presenting great online gameplay. I honestly don't see the validity or merits of arguments that say the X-Box Live is worth the monthly fee vs. the PlayStation 3's free online service.
Old 12-16-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Vryce
Wireless built in is really a non-issue when I picked up the PS3 and I hardwired mine in. I really didn't want to rely on my wireless signal which can run into issues when playing a game or streaming media. I much prefer a wired connect. I honestly scratch my head a lot when people tout that "feature" as a reason to buy a PS3 over a 360.
I understand wireless not being an issue and the preference of a wired connection for stability, but I can't see how it would be a head scratcher for anyone when it's painfully obvious why it's important for those who don't have an easy way to connect their system online near their console.
Old 12-16-08, 04:28 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by John Slider
That is simply ridiculous. Sure the online experience may not come with as many bells and whistles on the PlayStation 3 as the X-Box 360 does, but if you are buying a game with online capabilities the PlayStation 3 will work just as flawlessly with presenting great online gameplay. I honestly don't see the validity or merits of arguments that say the X-Box Live is worth the monthly fee vs. the PlayStation 3's free online service.
I've played many games online and had nothing but troubles in getting connected. Finding a game is a chore. half the time my voice or the voice of othre people doesn't come through. There is no easy way to see who is in a given game nor invite them into my game.

The online experience just seems tacked on and clunky.

To call it ridiculous is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 12-16-08 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 04:33 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I understand wireless not being an issue and the preference of a wired connection for stability, but I can't see how it would be a head scratcher for anyone when it's painfully obvious why it's important for those who don't have an easy way to connect their system online near their console.
If factored in with other criteria, sure. I guess I should have qualified my statement you posted to reflect picking solely on wireless vs non-wireless.

But I have heard more then one person online and in stores state how they would never choose a 360 because it doesn't have wireless and that the PS3 must clearly be superior because it does.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 12-16-08 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by FatTony
Right here. I loved the look of it, but the levels on the disc got really hard really fast, largely because the controls leave a lot to be desired which is simply unforgivable in a platformer. Luckily, I only rented it instead of going out and buying it.
I haven't met you, technically. I played this with seven other people, which ranged from video game veterans to those who rarely play, and they all liked it.

That said, it's not worth $400.
Old 12-16-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Most people who have played LBP that I have met love it - (all kinds of gamers) the user created levels are lots of fun and my six year old daughter loves it. Would I buy a console for 1 game - hell no!. While the PS3 is a solid piece of hardware and the 360 has a great installed fanbase, there has to be more reasoning to buy a console for 1 game.

And this comes from a Sony guy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.