Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Robert Carlyle to lead Stargate Universe

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robert Carlyle to lead Stargate Universe

There was an old speculation thread, but this seems worthy of it's own.

Robert Carlyle is next 'Stargate' leader

Robert Carlyle has been tapped as the lead in Sci Fi Channel's new series "Stargate Universe."

"SGU," the third installment in the cable channel's "Stargate" franchise, hails from "Stargate SG-1" and "Stargate Atlantis" co-creators Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, who will write and executive produce the new series.

Sci Fi Channel is expected to give the MGM TV-produced "SGU" a 20-episode order.

Production on the series is slated to begin in February in Vancouver. It is targeted to launch in the summer with a two-hour premiere.

Described as edgier, darker and younger-skewing than its predecessors, "SGU" follows a group of soldiers, scientists and civilians left to fend for themselves when forced through a Stargate after their hidden base comes under attack. The survivors, who emerge aboard an ancient ship missing in the far reaches of space, are led by Dr. David Rush (Carlyle), who works to unlock the ship's mysteries and return the group home but also might have ulterior motives.

The network had said it was looking to cast a well-known actor as Rush and fresh faces to play the rest of the ship's crew.

"Robert Carlyle brings a depth, intelligence and complexity to his roles, which will fit perfectly with the fresh, new reinvention of this franchise," Sci Fi original-programming chief Mark Stern said.

Scotland-born Carlyle, best known for his roles in "Trainspotting" and "The Full Monty," recently starred opposite Kiefer Sutherland in Fox's "24: Redemption." He is repped by Gersh, manager Jon Rubinstein and the U.K.'s Christian Hodell.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...19726f013538af

Sounds like good news to me, although I suppose by starting with a bigger name they are already risking the show getting too expensive before it starts.
Old 12-16-08, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is good news.

I read the descriptions of the remaining characters and they're all in their 20's. I'm going to be watching the show regardless, but it's getting annoying that "Space 90210" seems to be the new norm for sci-fi.
Old 12-16-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
This is good news.

I read the descriptions of the remaining characters and they're all in their 20's. I'm going to be watching the show regardless, but it's getting annoying that "Space 90210" seems to be the new norm for sci-fi.
Yeah, I have been a little worried about how they keep describing it as young, so having him as a lead is a good sign.
Old 12-16-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like this choice. This takes him out of the running for the next Doctor Who though, rats.
Old 12-16-08, 09:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I too like the casting choice.
Old 12-16-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very good casting choice. I guess this puts him out of the running for the next Doctor Who.
Old 12-16-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with this choice. I suppose it takes him out of the running for the next Dr. Who.
Old 12-16-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crud. Good news for fans of the show/series because he's good, but I'm not one of those people. I say "crud" because I had him as a choice for the new Dr. Who. He's the kind of capable character actor that would be perfect for the role.
Old 12-16-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I dont like 'space' shows but will watch cause of Carlyle.

I Reckon this puts him out of the running for the next Doc Who.
Old 12-16-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Hopefully it doesn't play like Stargate: Voyager - trying to get home every week!
Old 12-16-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yay. I love this actor!
Old 12-16-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thread hereby nominated for "the most number of Doctor Who references outside a Doctor Who thread."
Old 12-16-08, 02:45 PM

Yay I like that they are younging it down!

Now hopefully they'll cast a scantily clad goth chickwith big bouncing boobies that she keeps readjusting in her overburdened ready to pop at any moment halter top.

Yummy!
Old 12-16-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is good news but I thought he would have made a bad Doctor Who.
Old 12-16-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Doctor who?
Old 02-26-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Robert Carlyle to lead Stargate Universe

The full cast list for Universe appears to be up now. I was surprised at the Carlyle pick, but the full list has a few more surprising additions like Ming-Na, Lou Diamond Philips and Christopher McDonald:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-announcement/

Spoiler:
Alaina Huffman (Tamara Johansen): Alaina was one of the first auditions we saw way back in December (I was in Tokyo at the time and watched the stream from my room in The Peninsula). She was so good that, quite frankly, we would’ve been crazy not to cast her. I finally got the chance to chat with her today and discovered that, besides being quick-witted and absolutely lovely, she shares my affinity for Japan. Bonus points for that.

Elyse Levesque (Chloe Armstrong): Like Alaina, Elyse delivered a wonderfully nuanced audition, demonstrating impressive range in two very different ad demanding scenes. I only got the chance to speak to her briefly at the cast dinner but my first impression lines up with what everyone else has been saying about her: she is a sweetheart!

Ming-Na (Camille Wray):Back in my January 30th entry, I wrote “Meanwhile, we inch ever closer to casting one of my other favorites roles - the character of Wray.”. She’s one of my favorites because she has so much potential. That said, as I was working on the first part of the mid-season two-parter, I actually grew nervous. Wray has some nice, meaty scenes in my script and, without a strong actress in the role, the character would crash and burn. So you can imagine my delight to hear we had closed the deal with Ning-Ma, a tremendously talented actress (and, apparently, poker player) who is more than capable of delivering bigtime.

Lou Diamond Philips (Colonel Telford): Speaking of talented actors, Lou Diamond Philips is another huge addition to an already impressive roster. He is a kick-ass Colonel Telford and incredibly charming both on and offscreen. I told him I’d enjoyed his work and, especially, his role opposite Mark Wahlberg in The Big Hit. He laughed and admitted it was one of his faves as well. Check it out!

Christopher McDonald (Senator Armstrong): Another experienced Hollywood veteran, Chris brings gravity and charisma to the role of Senator Armstrong. When I was on set the other day, he approached me, shook my hand, and told me how happy he was to be working on the show. A clas act.
Old 02-26-09, 10:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

and David Blue is in the cast too - hooray!!
Old 02-26-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell yeah, Shooter McGavin!
Old 02-26-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Casting seems decent. Much better than the '90210' pitch would have you believe, from a year or so back.
Old 02-26-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well... the premise doesn't really interest me at all, but the cast is
Old 02-26-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Heard this is probably the most expensive Stargate incarnation. Probably the reason why Sci-Fi decided they couldn't keep 2 Stargates on the air at the same time.

I will check this out though.
Old 02-26-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let's hope they have some good writers unlike Atlantis.
Old 02-26-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Heard this is probably the most expensive Stargate incarnation. Probably the reason why Sci-Fi decided they couldn't keep 2 Stargates on the air at the same time.

I will check this out though.
Yeah, it's weird. I thought half the reason they canned SG-1 and then Atlantis was because those stars became too highly paid.
Old 02-26-09, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely something to check out, given the casting!
Old 02-26-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Decent cast, better than I expected. I guess this means Lou Diamond Phillips is out of the running for Dr. Who though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.