DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Games that never were

Usainuk
12-15-08, 11:46 AM
Have any of you had the experience of waiting eagerly for a game to come out only for that game to end up constantly delayed and then never gets made.

Two games that stick out in my mind are.

1 BC for the X Box it was by Lionhead studios and was going to be a kind of prehistoric life sim game it looked like it would have a very large world good graphics (for a X box game) and very open ended game play and the ability to play as any character.

I waited ages for this game to come out only for Lionhead to shelve it in favor of working on that game where you play as a stupid giant monkey (Black and White)

2 Shenmue 3 I played the first and second games and loved them and got totally involved in them and eagerly waited for the conclusion to the trilogy...and waited and waited and waited.
Its been years now since the second game and though its never been offically annouced that the third game will never be made statements by sega have made it quite clear its very very unlikely that it will be.

Groucho
12-15-08, 12:03 PM
I think with game #1 they realized that they'd never exceed the greatness of BC's Quest for Tires:

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/8077/bcsquestfortires3520768ct8.gif

chuckd21
12-15-08, 12:39 PM
What was that one famous EA cancellation? Thrill Kill?

edstein
12-15-08, 12:46 PM
Starcraft Ghost

kakihara1
12-15-08, 12:47 PM
Demonik

Michael Corvin
12-15-08, 12:47 PM
Any and every Stargate game. :sad:

Liver&Onions
12-15-08, 01:02 PM
I think with game #1 they realized that they'd never exceed the greatness of BC's Quest for Tires:

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/8077/bcsquestfortires3520768ct8.gif

I loved that game.

RichC2
12-15-08, 01:05 PM
^ I also loved that game.

Demonik

Bingo. Damn you Grandma's Boy for not doing better!

Thrill Kill was a terrible game. And you didn't play as a giant monkey in Black and White.

McHawkson
12-15-08, 01:07 PM
Duke Nukem.

I'm sure they're "making" it, but I believe they're bullshitting us.

RobLutter
12-15-08, 01:16 PM
Shenmue III is certainly top dog in this department.

I'd say Jet Set Radio Future 2 (or whatever it would be called) is also a game that should but will never happen.

It is beyond me why Sega can make 10,000 shitty 3D Sonic games but they can't do Shenmue is beyond me.

cerial442
12-15-08, 01:30 PM
It is beyond me why Sega can make 10,000 shitty 3D Sonic games but they can't do Shenmue is beyond me.

Because the shitty 3D Sonic games sell more than Shenmue.

Sad really.

lordwow
12-15-08, 01:33 PM
I was really into Hero's Journey (or however it was spelled) which was a 3rd Generation MMORPG that never really got off the ground. I "worked" for one of the large MMORPG sites at the time, and was on the staff for their site for the game so I likely would have been in the early beta and got in time with the developers, but it fell apart, as did my "job" there.

I put work and job in quotations because while I was the news lead, I was not paid, but I was also like 16 at the time.

Mikael79
12-15-08, 01:43 PM
True Fantasy Live Online for the Xbox was cancelled, even though it looked like it was going to be pretty good.

Noonan
12-15-08, 01:49 PM
What was that one famous EA cancellation? Thrill Kill?
Thrill Kill eventually got released as the Wu Tang Clan game. Same game but with different characters and a bit less violence. Although a beta of Thrill Kill was available by some no so "legal" means.

starseed1981
12-15-08, 01:54 PM
Starcraft Ghost
Mario 128

Chris_D
12-15-08, 01:55 PM
Baldurs Gate 3 I guess..

CloudVader
12-15-08, 02:05 PM
I'm still very bitter about Star Trek: The Secret of Vulcan Fury, which was a PC game canceled several years ago. I think it was supposed to be the same play style as the other two big Trek games at the time, 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites i.e. an old school point & click adventure. I remember PC Gamer said they were getting all the old cast members (who were all still alive at the time) to record voiceovers. They had released some screenshots showing off some great 3D models and the game looked great (for 1999 of course). I think the production cost ended up getting too high and Interplay was hemorrhaging money at the time, so it got canceled and no one picked it up. :(

shizawn
12-15-08, 02:24 PM
I was really upset when Warcraft Adventures was canceled.

Liver&Onions
12-15-08, 02:39 PM
I put work and job in quotations because while I was the news lead, I was not paid, but I was also like 16 at the time.

Sounds like "working" for dvdtalk. except I'm 30.

Ginwen
12-15-08, 03:09 PM
Earthbound 64 (Mother 3). I guess it came out for the Japanese Gameboy Advance but I'm not counting that.

Raul3
12-15-08, 04:09 PM
Alan Wake of course, but I have hope it will be released, maybe by the end of 2009.

Drexl
12-15-08, 06:58 PM
Picassio. This was supposed to be for the Gamecube and PC, where you were an art thief sneaking into museums to steal paintings.

Trevor
12-15-08, 07:19 PM
Two big ones for me.

What would have been the second Sam and Max game was canceled after much work was done on it.

QQP was working on and had progress to the point of animation on a computer version of Tom Wham's Awful Green Things From Outer Space back in the early 90s. They were bought out by another company, which just fired them all and abandoned all the projects. I would so love to see this game someday.

Michael Corvin
12-15-08, 08:17 PM
How about Sadness for the Wii? That's as good as dead isn't it. That looked pretty promising too.

scoot95
12-16-08, 06:37 AM
4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse for the PS2.

I seem to recall that they had some big name voice actors lined up for this game. It looked amazing, but then got shelved for some reason

Drexl
12-16-08, 06:57 AM
4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse for the PS2.

I seem to recall that they had some big name voice actors lined up for this game. It looked amazing, but then got shelved for some reason

That was from 3DO, which went under around that time.

BTW, I'd really like to see console ports of The Ocean Hunter and Planet Harriers, Sega.

xmiyux
12-16-08, 07:12 AM
Starcraft Ghost

That was going to be one of my first picks.

I'd say Jet Set Radio Future 2 (or whatever it would be called) is also a game that should but will never happen.

This is another of my choices. Although i want it to go back to the way you tagged in the first game. I liked sweeping the sticks on the DC version versus just holding a button on the sequel.

True Fantasy Live Online for the Xbox was cancelled, even though it looked like it was going to be pretty good.

I was excited for this game but more than that i just want some sort of MMORPG on Live. In a perfect world it would be free to play for Gold members and they could just sell various DLC to profit. Following a Guild Wars style revenue stream seems like it could work on Live.

I'm still very bitter about Star Trek: The Secret of Vulcan Fury, which was a PC game canceled several years ago. I think it was supposed to be the same play style as the other two big Trek games at the time, 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites i.e. an old school point & click adventure. I remember PC Gamer said they were getting all the old cast members (who were all still alive at the time) to record voiceovers. They had released some screenshots showing off some great 3D models and the game looked great (for 1999 of course). I think the production cost ended up getting too high and Interplay was hemorrhaging money at the time, so it got canceled and no one picked it up. :(

Wow, i had forgotten about this game. Now i am sad. :(

dx23
12-16-08, 08:58 AM
Here is a list for Nintendo games that were cancelled:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_cancelled_for_Nintendo_consoles

Sony:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_cancelled_for_PlayStation_consoles

Sega:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_cancelled_for_Sega_consoles

And other platforms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cancelled_video_games

Drexl
12-16-08, 10:16 AM
:lol: Oh man, check out this game from one of those cancelled lists above: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socks_the_Cat_Rocks_the_Hill