Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

All-in-One Remote for some old people?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for recommendations on an all-in-one remote to pick up for my gf's grandparents. They have an older HK receiver, Sony Bravia TV, and DVD player. It takes them forever to figure out which setting to put the receiver on, get the TV to the correct input, and so on. (As well as using three complicated remotes to accomplish this.)

I've looked at the Logitech Harmony, but it's just so expensive. If I have to, I'll get it. But I'd like something that would be easy for them to use (for being older) as well as simple one button pushing to set everything to the right setting. You know, push "DVD" and the TV changes to the right input, receiver changes to the right input and the dvd player turns on or something.

Is the Harmony the best choice, or are there other ones that you would recommend? Thanks so much for the suggestions.
Old 12-13-08, 03:25 PM

A Harmony is exactly what you need.

If you're concerned about the cost, there's an eBay seller named "websbestdeals" selling new Harmony 520s for $30 shipped. Best Buy's also got the slightly newer Harmony 550 (which is basically the 520 with a few extra buttons and a different color scheme) on sale for $50 if you'd rather buy from a B&M store.
Old 12-13-08, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by GHackmann
A Harmony is exactly what you need.

If you're concerned about the cost, there's an eBay seller named "websbestdeals" selling new Harmony 520s for $30 shipped. Best Buy's also got the slightly newer Harmony 550 (which is basically the 520 with a few extra buttons and a different color scheme) on sale for $50 if you'd rather buy from a B&M store.
I completely agree with Ghackmann here. Get the 550 for around $50 if you shop around. Amazon puts it's on sale a few times.
Old 12-13-08, 06:33 PM

Are the buttons clearly laid out and large enough to be seen on the 550?

And I realized earlier that I forgot to say that the Harmony One is the remote that was so expensive at $200.
Old 12-13-08, 07:04 PM

Also... my ideal budget is $100 or under. The $50 550 clearly works for that. But would the grandparents benefit from the Harmony 670 or 880? I can find both of those on ebay within my budget range as well.

I also meant to say thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.
Old 12-13-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on the number of devices. The Harmony's are great - I think that as long as the interface lets you add their devices and then can figure out the activities associated with them, it's a no-brainer. The 880 I believe has a charger base as well, so no futzing with batteries.
Old 12-13-08, 10:25 PM

I have an 880 and like it, but depending just how old they are they might have problems with the buttons. The layout is flat without distinct separation. It can be tough to find the buttons quite as quickly. Some of the other Harmony remotes have more distinct buttons.
Old 12-14-08, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Yes, the 880 is great. I have it for my media room. The color screen and rechargable battery is awesome.

But a few of the buttons are small. I'd go look at BB or other store and then order on line if you think it would work.

Remember pretty much all Harmony remotes are the same except for button layout, color screen and battery. You will likely also have to do the initial set up. And be prepared to "tweak" the settings several time before it is just right.
Old 12-14-08, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
You will likely also have to do the initial set up.
That's part of the xmas present. I'll try and head to BB tomorrow and take a look at all of them.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-14-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep us posted. I agree with shelland and Sdallnct - comfort and ease of use should be top priority for those "old people" as you called them.
Old 12-14-08, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by TLwizard
That's part of the xmas present. I'll try and head to BB tomorrow and take a look at all of them.

Thanks for all the help.
Yes Best Buy has the 550 on sale this week for $49. I to have the 880 and works great for me and my GF and kids too.
Old 12-15-08, 03:16 PM

It's expensive, but I upgraded from the 880 to the ONE. It has a much simpler layout with fewer, and MUCH bigger buttons.

But I have a lot of components. If they are just mostly switching from TV to DVD, I'd look into some of the simpler brands. Something like this would seem to be ideal:

http://www.allegromedical.com/daily-...l-p215242.html

http://www.bigbuttonremotes.com/

Last edited by David Levine; 12-15-08 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-15-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've been looking at the Harmony One just because of the simpler layout and the large buttons. I think it looks slicker and would be easier for my girlfriend to use, since she's easily overwhelmed. Hopefully for Christmas.
Old 12-15-08, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I've been looking at the Harmony One just because of the simpler layout and the large buttons. I think it looks slicker and would be easier for my girlfriend to use, since she's easily overwhelmed. Hopefully for Christmas.
It's so much better than the 880. Great customizable touch screen (you can program individual channels and d/l really nice logos for the buttons), bigger "clickable" buttons, and it doesn't suffer from "contacts going bad so it no longer recharges in the cradle" like the 880 is prone to. I think it feels better in your hand too - and almost all of the button layout makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-15-08, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by David Levine
It's expensive, but I upgraded from the 880 to the ONE. It has a much simpler layout with fewer, and MUCH bigger buttons.

But I have a lot of components. If they are just mostly switching from TV to DVD, I'd look into some of the simpler brands. Something like this would seem to be ideal:

http://www.allegromedical.com/daily-...l-p215242.html

http://www.bigbuttonremotes.com/
They're not that old!

So would you not recommend the 880 based on some of the issues you outlined? If I can't afford the Harmony One for them, do you think I'd be better off getting a lower model and not springing for the 880?
Old 12-15-08, 09:55 PM

Thanks for all the help here.

I went to Best Buy with my gf and we both decided that the Harmony 670 would be the best. It had much better buttons, contrast, colors for greater ease of use we both thought.

The 510/550, as well as the 880, had buttons that were flush with the remote, were small and slim, and were typically the same color as the remote. So these were struck from the choice.

The Harmony One however was really awesome. It was just too expensive for our budget, and my gf also had concerns about them using a touch screen. So, like I said, we went with the 670. I hope it works out. I will update here in a month or so after I get to set it all up for them and see how it works and see how they like it.
Old 12-16-08, 04:36 PM

I think you made a solid choice. It looks like a good easy to use remote.

After using the ONE, I'd never go back to the 880 - and I don't think it would've been a good choice because of some odd features (really small volume and channel up/down buttons).
Old 12-16-08, 10:02 PM

So I've been doing some research and have appreciated reading people's commentes in this thread. I'm also in the market for a universal remote to control my appliances:

Samsung PN50A55 HDTV
-Toshiba HD-A2
-Sony DVD player DVP-NC85H
-some Magnavox Bluray player my brother got on Black Friday for dirt cheap (like $130) - I think it's one of those low-frills, entry-level players electronic companies push just for big sales days like that - don't know the model no.
-a High-Def Cable Box from Cox Communications (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD)
-and here is the toughie: a Sony Sound Bar: SS-MCT100

Any thoughts? My main concern is that are these universal remotes going to be able to handle the sound bar, which seems like it's a newer technology? Also, what about having one remote take on a DVD, HD and Bluray player?
Old 12-18-08, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by MisterHowie
So I've been doing some research and have appreciated reading people's commentes in this thread. I'm also in the market for a universal remote to control my appliances:

Samsung PN50A55 HDTV
-Toshiba HD-A2
-some Magnavox Bluray player my brother got on Black Friday for dirt cheap (like $130) - I think it's one of those low-frills, entry-level players electronic companies push just for big sales days like that - don't know the model no.
-a High-Def Cable Box from Cox Communications (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD)

Any thoughts? My main concern is that are these universal remotes going to be able to handle the sound bar, which seems like it's a newer technology? Also, what about having one remote take on a DVD, HD and Bluray player?
From everything I know it should work. Especially if the soundbar has a remote (which I assume it would).

He doesn't say what kind of sound bar he has, but this guy got his logitech harmony to work with his. http://www.naschenweng.info/2008/05/...ch-harmony-895

And I think with the various versions you can set distinct programs for each dvd player, hd-dvd player, etc. And it looks like on the Harmony One you can name then individually and not have to use one of the pre-established buttons. But I feel like someone else who's actually used these could answer those questions better, but at the very least the remotes should work with your sound bar.
Old 12-18-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
What is a Sony "sound bar"?

BTW...you program the Harmony thru the net. And you use to be able to go to the Harmony site and sign in as a guest for a "test drive". Of course you wouldn't have the remote itself, but you could set it up, as if you did. So you might try it and see....

Here you go...you can see if your stuff is in their data base....

http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/...h=ProcSpice%2F
Old 12-18-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
What is a Sony "sound bar"?
Probably one of those speakers that simulate surround sound.
Old 12-18-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 12-18-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterHowie

Samsung PN50A55 HDTV
-Toshiba HD-A2

As long as the soundbar has an IR remote, it probably shouldn't be a problem.

As for the other components, I have my cable DVR, PS3, Xbox 360 with HD-DVD add-on, 2 DVD recorders, all-region DVD, TV, HDMI switcher and receiver all programmed in. So, definitely no issues there.
Old 12-19-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

there's been a deal on Logitech's 520 remote on ebay for a while now. it's 29.99 w/free shipping.

I don't know how well these things work, but I trust Logitech over most brands. worth looking into.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Logitech-Harmony...99&PID=1225267
Old 01-18-09, 01:02 AM

Re: All-in-One Remote for some old people?

Just as quick followup...

Great success!

Thanks to everyone for their help. The "old people" love the remote, and it's made their movie watching life so much better. We finally got it all set up today and it's made a world of difference. So thanks again.