Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Weird problem with "The Thing" on Blu-ray... need help/feedback

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-12-08, 12:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Just watched "The Thing". During the first half of the movie there's a very subtle color shift: the picture goes from a slightly red tint to slightly green tint, back and forth, for about 1/2 second each (almost like a pulsating light). It's hard to see when there's movement on the screen, but more noticeable when it's still. The scene where Blair is talking to Clark, asking how long he was alone with the dog, is a good place to see it. What's really weird is it seems to stop after the first half of the movie.

I put the disc on pause and it didn't do it so I figure it's the disc and not the TV. I tried a lot of different color/viewing options on the TV and nothing helped. Looked at HDMI and component inputs and it was the same on both. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?

Player is a Sony BDP-S350 (with the 2.0 update)
TV is Samsung HL61A750A1F
Old 12-12-08, 07:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
What about other Blu Ray's? Same problem? Sounds more like a connection issue to me. Are you using component or HDMI?
Old 12-12-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you running it through a receiver or directly to the TV?

I had red/green issues watching TV when I tried running my component from my Comcast box through my Onkyo, and then HDMI out to my TV. Didn't happen with the component going directly to the TV.
Old 12-12-08, 08:06 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Did you try turning off both your TV and BD player and giving them a few minutes rest?
Old 12-12-08, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed the same thing on every video incarnation of The Thing...even on the Laserdisc. There's an odd color shift that pushes in a slight amount of red and green. It's fairly obvious and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it before...not sure why I didn't say anything either, now that you bring it up.

I can't even fathom an explanation, but I can assure you it's been there the whole time. I'd love to hear some guesses about what it is though.
Old 12-12-08, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by gregcritic
I've noticed the same thing on every video incarnation of The Thing...even on the Laserdisc. There's an odd color shift that pushes in a slight amount of red and green. It's fairly obvious and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it before...not sure why I didn't say anything either, now that you bring it up.

I can't even fathom an explanation, but I can assure you it's been there the whole time. I'd love to hear some guesses about what it is though.
Wow, I never noticed it before, and believe me, I've had EVERY version of "The Thing" from VHS to Laserdisc to DVD. The hi-def set is new for me, so maybe I never saw it on the regular TV I had before. Now I'll have to go back and check all the other versions I still have. If that's true then it would have to be a problem from the production or mastering end, right?

To answer the other questions: the player is connected directly to the TV. I've watched about 10 movies (both blu and standard DVD) and none of the others have had problems. Re-powering doesn't work.
Old 12-12-08, 10:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
How is is connected to the TV?
Old 12-12-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I noticed this color shift as well. I have my PS3 routed thru my receiver via HDMI. I notice the shift also when they are looking at the UFO and Russell's jacket looks like it's changing colors.
Old 12-13-08, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed this from all the way back to my laserdisc days. What really caught me is how the snow at the beginning tends to slowly pulse at different tones, from slight green to slight magenta. I always thought it might be something to do with the extreme contrast in those scenes. But I for one have been aware of this for a long time. Maybe it just jumps out a little more on the blu-ray.
Old 12-13-08, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Graboid
I've noticed this from all the way back to my laserdisc days. What really caught me is how the snow at the beginning tends to slowly pulse at different tones, from slight green to slight magenta. I always thought it might be something to do with the extreme contrast in those scenes. But I for one have been aware of this for a long time. Maybe it just jumps out a little more on the blu-ray.
I can't believe I never noticed it before, but you guys are right. I looked at the DVD version and it's the same way. So the question now is what caused it and how can a problem like that be on different media types? It has to be a defect with their master, right? So they've been using the same screwed up master for laserdisc, DVD and Blu-ray?