Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What to do with old rear projection tv?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-10-08, 01:57 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

My parents have had a 51 inch Toshiba rear projection HDTV for about 7 years. The speakers don't work anymore but that's not a problem for them since the tv is connected to a sound system. Otherwise, it works perfectly.

I'll be giving them a LCD soon so I'm wondering if they could easily sell it despite the speaker problem and if so, how much can they expect to get for it?
Old 12-10-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Just my .02 but if it does not have an internal digital tv tuner, it is likely all but worthless given its age and condition.
Old 12-10-08, 02:50 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Just my .02 but if it does not have an internal digital tv tuner, it is likely all but worthless given its age and condition.
Not if you hook it up to cable/satellite.
Old 12-10-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was wondering the same. About to jump on a sammy DLP and I have a 53" pioneer elite which still looks amazing!!! Their RPT's were the best. The reason I have kept it so long is that I calibrated it to such a good picture it actually has a better look than many dlp's out there more natural and film like. I guess the best thing to do is put it on ebay and make it a local pickup only.
Old 12-11-08, 02:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

When we upgraded from a rear projection to a projector in our home theater, we donated the old TV to a local charitable organization.
Old 12-11-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in the same situation except my RPTV is a 55" and does not work. The estimate to fix it was about $400 which I decided I would rather put into a new plasma. Not sure what to do with the broken RPTV though. Too big to put on the curb and not sure a charitable place would want a broken tv.
Old 12-11-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Look up your county's website for electronics recycling.

For the still functioning Pioneer Elite, why downgrade to DLP??
Old 12-12-08, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Not if you hook it up to cable/satellite.
Yes that may be true.

Without speakers it will now require some type of HTIB to get sound which means spending more money to use an old tv set if the person does not already have something.

You may find someone that wants it but with prices on new sets where they are I honestly can't see someone offering very much for this.
Old 12-12-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Look up your county's website for electronics recycling.

For the still functioning Pioneer Elite, why downgrade to DLP??
Well it's a big mofo. Also I want to go with a 61" It just looks so damn good I keep putting it off.
Old 12-12-08, 09:19 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I'm in a similar boat with my 55" Mitsubishi I bought ~6 years ago. Will probably throw it on Craigslist eventually.
Old 12-12-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There really isn't that much difference between 53 and 61. Also, with a thinner box (I'm assuming) the DLP will actually be farther from your eyes, reducing the benefit of a small bump in size. Now, 100" is substantially bigger than 53, and would effectively remove ANY large box from the room.
Old 12-12-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
There really isn't that much difference between 53 and 61. Also, with a thinner box (I'm assuming) the DLP will actually be farther from your eyes, reducing the benefit of a small bump in size. Now, 100" is substantially bigger than 53, and would effectively remove ANY large box from the room.
Dude from 53" to 61" is a huge difference. I used to work at Sound Advice which was part of Tweeter and saw TV's together all day long so I have to disagree with you there and considering I got my set for only $800 makes me want to keep it longer. I do want 1080p though.
Old 12-13-08, 09:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you can get a couple of hundred for it no problem. I sold a similar Mitsu 46" WS a year ago. The guy still thinks its the greatest TV set ever.

2nd runner up; You can always take it to Goodwill and use is as a charitable donation for tax purposes.
Old 12-13-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think we define "huge" differently. That difference is only 4" in screen height, 7" in width. At 30" screen sizes I would call that huge, but not really at 60ish.

But the important thing is you ignored the point about viewing angles. The size of a TV really doesn't matter at all until you factor in your distance from it. This is why SMPTE and THX use eye-to-screen-edge angles to analyze the proper viewing distance for a TV when recommending room setup.

When I got my TV, I was eventually serious about just 2 possibilities. First was a 65" Pioneer, not unlike yours, I'm sure. I looked at the 53" versions, but decided 65 fit my room size better. Then I got into front projection mode. When I analyzed angles, I realized that the giant 65" RPTV would place the screen about 2.5' closer to me than a projection screen could do, changing the angle significantly. That meant a seemingly much larger screen would barely be larger to my eyes from where I sit. I decided that 106" (a common screen size) would be the absolute maximum I would want in my room, but 90-100" would be optimal. The viewing angle is barely different going from that 65" to my current 90".

I know some claim otherwise, but there is such thing as too big. If the screen is too big, you have to move your eyes or head to see all of the pic, which detracts from the show. And will probably give you neck or head pain after a long day of watching TV.
Old 12-19-08, 07:31 AM

This appraoch wont' work very well if you are moving -- I just gave my 1999 Mits 40"WS RPTV to the movers a few months ago when I switched houses. Was originally planning on putting it in the bedroom -- thankfully a few weeks before moving the guns started misfiring -- hello new 42" Plasma that weighs 1/10 of the previous TV. (even was a wife approved purchase!).

-Tim
Old 12-19-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I replaced mine, the convergence was starting to go. I thought about eBay but I didn't feel right taking any money for something I had no idea how long would last. I ended up giving to a buddy with a cottage provided he picked it up. Those things weigh a ton.

If they need the money - eBay with local pick up, as-is-where-is, no warranty, no reserve.

If not donate to local church or homeless shelter providing they pick it up.
Old 12-21-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Sold my 7-8 years old 55" Diamond series Mitsubishi rear screen projection TV on craigslist when I upgraded to a 73" Diamond series Mitsubishi DLP in April this year. I got $500 for it. That was only a fraction of what I paid for it, but it was better than nothing!