Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I just saw Citizen Kane for the first time.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should start off by embarrassing myself a bit: I'm 41 years old, and consider myself a pretty big film fan. And this is the first time I've ever watched Citizen Kane. I have to admit, the little clips and things I'd seen didn't interest me, even though I love old films. It looked boring. I knew the spoiler (and I'm not one to seek out or read spoilers). It looked unengaging.

How wrong I was! I now know why some folks consider this the best movie ever. Add me to the group. Sign me up! This movie, IMHO, is in a class by itself. Not much is handed to you, in the script. You figure out what Charles Kane was like, by watching him. By listening to him. And what a supporting cast! I know most of these actors were relatively or completely unknown, but I found every supporting actor to be EXTREMELY good. All the way down to the actors with only one or two lines...

The lighting, the camera shots, the sets. Just about as close as you can come to a perfect movie. To be honest, I went into this movie thinking I wouldn't like it, or at least wouldn't love it. I just can't believe how wrong I was. I know some of you would disagree, and I am certain there are those of you who find it boring, or who might think it's not worthy of the recognition. To those, I say, you must be more learned or have a more discerning eye than I do. I found this movie to be: perfection. I could go on and on and on, but just wondering if anyone else has seen this, recently, for the first time, or what others think of this film.
Old 12-08-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I felt the exact same way after I watched it for the first time a number of years ago. I didn't expect it to live up to the legend, but it did just that and more for me.

I had the exact same reaction to watch Casablanca.

Classics are classics for a reason I suppose.
Old 12-08-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a weird relationship with Citizen Kane. I can understand why it is the best movie ever made. I can understand why its held in such high regard and when I saw it for the first time 4 or so years ago I knew I was watching something special.

Then after watching those final moments of the movie my first thought was "never again", meaning that as excellent as the movie was, I have zero desire to ever see it again.
Old 12-08-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Now watch The Magnificent Ambersons & Touch of Evil
Old 12-08-08, 11:45 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
It's a great movie.
Old 12-08-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS makes me so sad. It's still a great movie in a LOT of ways, but one can only imagine how AMAZING it could have been if Welles's original vision (and reels of deleted footage) had remained intact.
Old 12-08-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222
Now watch The Magnificent Ambersons
I wonder which will come first on R1 DVD: this or The African Queen. Modfather, you should also check out The Lady from Shanghai.
Old 12-08-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching Kane with Roger Ebert's commentary. He is very knowledgable about a lot of movies, but he is an expert on Citizen Kane. Seriously, the guy knows the flick backwards and forwards. It will enhance your appreaciation of the film even more. I'm not a huge fan of commentaries, but his is the most engaging commentary I've ever listened to.
Old 12-08-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it the first time I saw it, as well. I was doing a 5 movies for 5 dollars deal at the video store and threw it in. It was my fave of the bunch, and it was an afterthought because I'd heard it was famous.
Old 12-08-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just going to post what Jeffy Pop did. Ebert's Kane commentary is one of my favorites. It's very informative and Ebert's enthusiasm for the film keeps it from seeming dry. Instead it is very engaging. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the film making techniques and technical innovations used in the film.
Old 12-08-08, 08:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Worst movie ever. It gives cancer to kids.

Just kidding, it's a classic. I need to see more classics.
Old 12-08-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Some films are really great based on how much you are entertained by them.
Some films are really great based on how much you [i]appreciate[/b] them for their historical and filmmaking importance.

CITIZEN KANE is both. I never get tired of watching it.
Old 12-08-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
I blind bought it when it first came out on DVD a few years ago knowing only that it was AFI's # 1 film of all time. I absolutely loved it. Not only is it a textbook in filmmaking, it's also an all around enjoyable movie. I've been a huge fan of Orson Welles' ever since.

It totally changed filmmaking. Even though it was made in 1941, it feels like it was made yesterday. Heck, I think the make-up effects are as good, if not better, than what you'd see today. Watching the film, you truly believe that Kane ages from a young man to elderly man; the make-up is astounding!

I'll third the suggestion of listening to the Ebert commentary, it truly enhances your view of the film.
Old 12-09-08, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget to watch The Third Man wonderful movie from begining to end.
Old 12-09-08, 12:40 AM

Now please list other films in which you identified Citizen Kane's influences or there is a more direct or a subtle reference to it. Preferably recent ones, but not necessarily.
Old 12-09-08, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I recently watched Citizen Kane just last week. And I think I finally got it. I've seen the movie at least 5 times prior but I finally got why it was such a breakthrough. I think like someone said in another thread, you see a lot of movies nowadays so when you see something that is the original you don't really identify with it (or something like that).
Old 12-10-08, 12:33 PM

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think like someone said in another thread, you see a lot of movies nowadays so when you see something that is the original you don't really identify with it (or something like that).
I guess I'll be the Philistine and say I still don't get it. I appreciate the movie but don't enjoy it. I'm not up to 5 viewings yet so maybe then . In my favor I love The Third Man, Othello, and Touch of Evil.
Old 12-10-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
So when are they colorizing this?
Old 12-10-08, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by modfather
I knew the spoiler (and I'm not one to seek out or read spoilers).
That's one of the things that may have helped you out: You thought it was a movie that was defined by its ending. Instead this is a movie about the journey of discovery, learning about the character and development of Charles Foster Kane.

Brilliant, beautiful film.
Old 12-10-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching Kane with Roger Ebert's commentary. He is very knowledgable about a lot of movies, but he is an expert on Citizen Kane. Seriously, the guy knows the flick backwards and forwards. It will enhance your appreaciation of the film even more. I'm not a huge fan of commentaries, but his is the most engaging commentary I've ever listened to.
Agreed. The most entertaining educational commentary I've ever heard.
Old 12-10-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I also just watched it for the first time recently, and had the same feelings as the OP. I didn't really think I would like it, I just rented it because it was supposed to be the cat's tits. I ended up really liking it, and was surprised how much I liked it.
Old 12-11-08, 07:34 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am 30 years old and have not seen this film. The clips I have seen of the movie just have not interested me at all. I am sure I will be pleasantly surprised when i do watch it.
Old 12-11-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's dated... When's the remake coming out?

Old 12-11-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj
I am 30 years old and have not seen this film. The clips I have seen of the movie just have not interested me at all. I am sure I will be pleasantly surprised when i do watch it.
You need to watch the red band trailer. That'll get you hooked for sure.
Old 12-11-08, 11:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bdshort
It's dated... When's the remake coming out?
Diddy to Remake 'Kane'
By DAVID CARMICHAEL
Last updated at 21:16 29 November 2008

Multi-millionaire hip hop music producer Sean Combs, known as Diddy, has signed on to produce and star in a remake of the 1941 classic 'Citizen Kane'.

The 38-year-old entrepreneur, a successful US rap star who owns his own record label, clothing and perfume line, has said he identifies with the character of Charles Foster Kane, portrayed in the original by Orson Welles. "He came up from nothing, just like I did, to become huge. He had controversy around him, haters. I feel him in that movie. There's a reason it's always called the best."

Currently, the script hasn't been written and no director has been attached to the feature. But Combs has some clear ideas on what he wants to do with the project. "I'm going to turn it around, update it. Kane is going to be a hip hop mogul, he starts off selling bootlegs out of a cardboard box on the streets and goes on to own an empire... not just music, but movies, TV, you name it. Like a black Ted Turner or a black Rupert Murdoch. People today don't relate to newspapers, they relate to entertainers. It's a good story, but I'm going to make it modern."

When asked about his plans for 'Rosebud', Diddy remains cryptic. "I got plans for that, but you'll just have to wait."

BTW, I just made that all up.

Last edited by DRG; 12-11-08 at 12:01 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.