Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Heroes -- "Our Father" -- 12/8/08

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Hiro and Claire go back in time to the moment Noah took Claire from Kaito Nakamura; Sylar interferes with Peter and the Haitian's attempt to defeat Arthur; and Suresh makes major progress with the formula.

Suggestion: If your recording on DVR, pad this an extra 1-2 minutes. The last couple of broadcasts have been cut off.
Old 12-08-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there no police out there hunting for a serial killer named Sylar?
Old 12-08-08, 08:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Damn, I had 15 minutes in the pool on how long it would take for Arthur to take the catalyst from Hiro, not 10. These writers are really mixing things up.
Old 12-08-08, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Cake?"

Was this a nod to the Portal fans? "The cake is a lie."

Loved the Hiro part of this episode and the Syler scenes were well-done (especially the elevator scene).

The Daphne/Matt/Ando part seemed like a throw-in to keep the Hiro part moving forward (and how did she carry two full-grown guys from Kansas?).

Next week's promo showed NOTHING, so they must be keeping things under wraps.

--John
Old 12-08-08, 09:10 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
"It does kinda tingle."*

Jury is still out on this episode.

I'm going to mull it over and come back later.

Right now I'm in the "WOW... that was different... and not really in a good way" category.

* Each subsequent reply must start off with a Sylar one liner from this ep.
Old 12-08-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought it was okay, though scenes still sort of drag when they play out.

The scene with Hiro and his mom was the main highlight of the episode.

Sylar cutting people open again, now he's just showing off. So, is it definitive, Elle is all burnt to a crisp?

Last edited by Patman; 12-08-08 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-08-08, 09:44 PM

Count me in as one whose DVR cut off just as they asked the marine "how he felt". Can someone fill in what happened after that?

Needless to say the DVR has been exteded to record an extra 5 minutes from now on as the same thing happened last week.
Old 12-08-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hiro screw up again.
Old 12-08-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So Steve Rogers has joined the our merry cast of heroes... Did enjoy the Hiro and Syler scenes this week.
Old 12-08-08, 09:56 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by ericmylad
Count me in as one whose DVR cut off just as they asked the marine "how he felt". Can someone fill in what happened after that?
He pulled the chair out of the ground and threw it all Hulk-like.
Old 12-08-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Seems like they're trying to get the plot back on track. At least some thing happened that would seem to advance the plot.

Not surprised to see Arthur killed off. Let's face it... any character who is a special guest star isn't going to stick around long. Be a miracle if Daphne survives the rest of the season... Vernoica Mars, Doctor Who, Sulu, Greatest American Hero, John Sheridan, Sark, Alex the Droog... the special guest stars don't stay around very long.
Old 12-08-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought overall, this was one of the stronger episodes.

However, I actually feel irritated that the writer's would ruin such a powerful and touching scene between Hiro and his mother by having him fuck up so royally in such a short time. It really showed her faith in him was foolish.

I really expected Hiro to make some sort of noble sacrifice by hiding himself somewhere inside (or out of) time and space so Arthur could never find him.

Which begs the question.. how did Arthur find him so easily? I know he has Hiro's abilities (via Peter), but how did he know when and where to jump to?
Old 12-08-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Arthur has time-GPS.
Old 12-08-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Palaver
I thought overall, this was one of the stronger episodes.

However, I actually feel irritated that the writer's would ruin such a powerful and touching scene between Hiro and his mother by having him fuck up so royally in such a short time. It really showed her faith in him was foolish.

I really expected Hiro to make some sort of noble sacrifice by hiding himself somewhere inside (or out of) time and space so Arthur could never find him.

Which begs the question.. how did Arthur find him so easily? I know he has Hiro's abilities (via Peter), but how did he know when and where to jump to?
I thought the black comedy Sylar stuff was a little odd. I'm not sure what exactly they are doing with him.

The Hiro stuff was really good until they had him blow it again.

Peter also had Isaac's abilities so maybe Arthur drew it.
Old 12-08-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe that 4400 guy is faking that the serum works. He already has powers.
Old 12-08-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sylar is back to being the #1 bad guy.
Old 12-09-08, 12:13 AM

Sylar should have taken the haitans power
Old 12-09-08, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I could see Arthur using his precog drawing abilities to know when and where Hiro was going to be.

The show is making strides, only a few glaring plotholes that bothered me:
1. Why did Claire come to the conclusion that NOT giving her the catalyst as a baby would save anyone?
2. Why did Mom Petrelli send her son with the Haitian to kill Pa? Why not send, you know, HRG, or any of the other trained agents who aren't conflicted about killing family members.

I agree that having Hiro screw up so soon after what seemed like him getting his redemption was weird... but maybe that gets rectified soon.

Did they really waste money digitally removing Claire's mom's wrinkles in only SOME of the shots? No wonder they're bleeding money on this show.

So what explanation did Hiro's dad give the rest of the old-school heroes about the catalyst? That his wife died without passing it on? If they thought the catalyst was gone,why bother with hiding the formula?

It takes me about five minutes to ten minutes to read a 28 page comic book. These guys stop at every single page to make comments instead of skipping over to the end to see what the heck actually happens.

How convenient that Noah's phone has a list of people with powers, and that the first one Sylar picks has the exact power he needs. I'll forgive that only because it allowed them not to drag out the inevitable showdown Sylar would have with "dad."

Let's see... Sylar has the prime opportunity to off the one guy that can negate his powers, and just ignores him? Yeah, ok.

Peter has a showdown with dad, and refuses to listen to any of his lies... but when the Haitian says to quickly kill him, he hesitates anyway? It's not like Pa Patrelli was making any kind of point or plea or anything.

I liked the Hiro scenes (before he screwed up), I liked that HRG didn't trust adult Claire after his wife foolishly trusted her too much, I liked Nathan setting his own terms with his dad, and I liked the overall vibe and writing in the Sylar scenes. Of course, the two characters that I enjoyed the most in this episode, Hiro and Sylar, pretty much reverted to the same characters they were in season 1.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-09-08 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-09-08, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I enjoyed this episode, I do find it odd that the person that was given sketchbook would leave it at work, and comic artists do not draw their stories to be published in sketchbooks, unless he did that knowing it would never be sent in? You know what, I am going to go with they did it because they just made it up.
Old 12-09-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
The could have just been page layouts, which he could scan in and clean up.

And Peter's conversation with the Haitian about his father ("He could have killed me, but he didn't") seemed a little off. He didn't do anything to stop Sylar from throwing you out the window. And at the time Peter seemed to know Sylar did that to save him from Arthur.
Old 12-09-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Finally a good episode. It was convoluted but everything made sense in terms of the "Heroes universe"

I like that they just focused on the core characters.
Old 12-09-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Oh, and I love the Haitian, as long as they don't have him talk to much or deal with any of his back story.
Old 12-09-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure how stealing someone's powers gives you the catalyst, which sounds like some genetic marker. He should have draw some of Hiro's blood to get it.

If Sulu didn't want anyone to ever find the part of the formula, why did he keep it? Destroy it and it won't get stolen!!!
Old 12-09-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Manco
Maybe that 4400 guy is faking that the serum works. He already has powers.
Seeing Chad Faust reminded me of how much better The 4400 was compared to Heroes in its current condition.
Old 12-09-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't read the comments to not get influenced, but I really liked this episode. I looked like a Season 1 episode.
I laughed with the show and not at the show.
Sylar was great! (Cake?)
Hiro was funny again.

I hope they really killed Pa Petrelli, not because I wanted him to be dead, but because that will show they have the balls to kill someone (important) this time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.