Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Just bought a Comcast Motorola DCT2224. Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a Comcast Motorola DCT2224. Need Help

Ok, I just got a Motorola DCT2224 Cable Box that I bought off eBay. When I first set it up I saw the menu (like the channel list) but it had "To Be Announced" in every slot. I was also able to access the box's menu and everything, however no cable was coming through. In my efforts to try and get the cable to come through, I must have done something wrong because now I get no menus, no "To Be Announced"... nothing. The box comes on but all I'm getting is a black screen. I have tried hooking it up through both RCA and Coax, but am getting the same result. And my TV IS tuned to channel 3 (channel 4 just has fuzz). Anyone got any ideas? I'm guessing I pressed something wrong on the remote, but I'm hitting random buttons and nothing seems to be working.

BTW.. I am aware that I need to call Comcast to get them to authorize the box in order to get cable. I am just trying to figure out how to get it to show up on my screen again. Is there a way to reset the box in case I accidently set a setting that's not compatible with my TV?

Last edited by Joxer; 12-02-08 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-02-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Joxer
I am aware that I need to call Comcast to get them to authorize the box in order to get cable.
Do that first. Their activation process may reset the box and initiate a reboot.
Old 12-02-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that's what I'm hoping. I'm going to call tomorrow.
Old 12-03-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW.. I am aware that I need to call Comcast to get them to authorize the box in order to get cable.
And yet you are puzzled as to why "To Be Announced" showed up in every slot of the channel list menu???
Old 12-03-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, I said that to give an accurate description of my situation.
Old 12-03-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, well I've called Comcast twice (to get two different techs) and they are both telling me the same thing about this box. They are saying that "there's no way to just put the serial number on the account. We would have to issue you a new box, or do research as to who owned the box previous and charge them $300 for not returning their box. We don't sell our equipment. We can do research and put the box in your name, but it won't be fast, it will take a couple of days, and it will still cost you $6 a month."
I was like "What the hell.... this isn't your box" I don't think the guy I bought it from had comcast (even though it works with comcast). Also, if this was the case, why are there a bunch of comcast cable boxes on ebay without any negative feedback?

Does anyone know how to get this to work? I don't want to have to pay their "rental" fee for something I"m not renting.
Old 12-03-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do a google search on that box. There are tons of threads on other forums dating back to over 3 years ago saying that Comcast won't authorize the use of these boxes. It's not going to happen.
Old 12-03-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I *did* do a search, and found nothing... also, I don't understand why ebay is allowing these auctions, if comcast doesn't "sell their equipment"... then technically aren't the sellers auctioning "stolen" equipment?
Old 12-03-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about the negative feedback thing, but here's some interesting eBay Guides:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-Selli...00000001402018
For everyone who isn't familiar with how things work regarding Comcast equipment and buying/selling it, he're some advice. Don't.
http://reviews.ebay.com/Some-people-...00000004060957
...we've had Comcast, Time-Warner and Northland Cable... and none of them will activate these boxes...

...My daughter moved, and her cable boxes got taken to our house in the last load, rather than hers... she thought they must've been lost in the move ... she had to pay for them. Nearly $500! .. And now they're useless, the cable companies refuse to activate them. Because she didn't "retain her receipt," they also won't refund her money..
http://reviews.ebay.com/Comcast-Boxe...00000001389678
The main thing is to call Comcast first to see if a box is able to be used in your area with your cable plan that you currently have.
http://search.reviews.ebay.com/_Cabl...tZ39804QQuqtZg
Do not buy any digital cable boxes from anyone on ebay! I work for a cable company and I personaly know any of these boxes will not be honored by any cable company.
More guides:
http://search.reviews.ebay.com/_Cabl...tZ39804QQuqtZg
Old 12-05-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, that's what I'm saying..... if eBay knows that these boxes are going to be basically doorstops.... why do they let the auctions continue?
Old 12-05-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that's what I'm saying..... if eBay knows that these boxes are going to be basically doorstops.... why do they let the auctions continue?
Maybe eBay doesn't know. They have prohibited electronic devices that are outright illegal, such as cable descramblers:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/electronics.html

As one of the links I linked to pointed out, those cable boxes that the customers never returned and were forced to pay for are technically now owned by individuals. It's not technically illegal to sell, and all the listings I see have warnings about making sure your cable provider will authorize them.

If you complain to eBay, maybe they'll reconsider their policy for cable boxes. Still, this seems a case of caveat emptor.
Old 12-05-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't scanned the eBay listings but what would be the point of an individual selling "their" Comcast box, which they presumably paid nearly $500 for, rather than just returning it to the cable company for a refund???

I doubt Comcast would even allow an outright purchase of this equipment. They seem to only bill you when you are disconnected and have a delinquent account. Hypothetically speaking, if an individual was to pay all charges including the value of the converter (~$500), I really don't see Comcast allowing that person to activate the box for a new account. They just want that continually monthly fee!

Last edited by Xbox69; 12-05-08 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xbox69
I haven't scanned the eBay listings but what would be the point of an individual selling "their" Comcast box, which they presumably paid nearly $500 for, rather than just returning it to the cable company for a refund???

I doubt Comcast would even allow an outright purchase of this equipment. They seem to only bill you when you are disconnected and have a delinquent account. Hypothetically speaking, if an individual was to pay all charges including the value of the converter (~$500), I really don't see Comcast allowing that person to activate the box for a new account.
You just answered your own question. As I linked to before, someone thought they'd lost their boxes in a move, paid for them, and when found them, tried to return them. However, Comcast wouldn't take them back without a receipt. Comcast also wouldn't re-activate the boxes, even on the original customer's account.

So, on the one hand, the customer legally owns the defunct box, since they paid for it (and got a receipt). On the other hand, they legally own an expensive paperweight, since there's no way to re-activate the box, since it's no longer Comcast's.
Old 12-06-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, according to Comcast, there IS a way to reactivate it, however they would charge the previous owner (who claims they used it on Comcast with no problems) a $300 "No-Return" fee, then have to charge me the monthly rental fee. I am considering calling them back and asking for a "Proof of ownership" before I consent to such an agreement
Old 12-06-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, according to Comcast, there IS a way to reactivate it, however they would charge the previous owner (who claims they used it on Comcast with no problems) a $300 "No-Return" fee, then have to charge me the monthly rental fee.
I wonder if Comcast considers the "no-return" fee differently than a transfer of ownership. Like, "we're charging you for the full cost of the box, but if it eventually turns up, it's still our property."

I am considering calling them back and asking for a "Proof of ownership" before I consent to such an agreement
Why would you even bother? Whether you use the box you bought on eBay or another box Comcast gives you, you're still going to pay the same rental fee. Just have Comcast give you a new box and recycle the box you bought. Or hold on to it on the off chance you move somewhere where the cable company will let you use it without a rental fee.
Old 12-06-08, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I wonder if Comcast considers the "no-return" fee differently than a transfer of ownership. Like, "we're charging you for the full cost of the box, but if it eventually turns up, it's still our property."
That is exactly what it sounded like to me... which I feel is actually very dishonest.
Old 12-06-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Since when can you buy Comcast boxes?
Old 12-06-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is exactly what it sounded like to me... which I feel is actually very dishonest.
It sounds a lot like the situation the telephone companies used to have, where you could only use devices rented from them for use on their lines.

The CableCARD was supposed to break this monopoly by allowing third-party CableCARD devices to work on any cable system. In fact, you can use CableCARD devices on Comcast. However, a lack of support from the cable companies for these devices means that they've been underpromoted, glitchy, and lacking features like VOD and PPV.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CableCARD
Old 12-19-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I'm glad I googled this before I ran out and bought one of these off eBay. Thanks to everyone that contributed here, saved me $50 for a paperweight. That will cover one torturous year of $7/month for the box I now have to go rent :-(
Old 12-22-08, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
As someone that's hung out in the Explorer 8000 group at Yahoo! for several years, only to see several "I bought this SA-8300 off eBay and $!@#% TWC won't let me use it" posts per year, let me just say that this thread brings the funny!