Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wednesday. Bluray. Finally.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have finally found a reason to get Bluray. And that is they finally fit my specs that I was ridiculed for wanting since about 2 weeks before the first player shipped.

-7.1 analog output of ALL codecs
-High quality analog audio output
-High quality video
-Price I can afford

Since the video has been covered in every model, it was the audio that kept me away. And pricing, but that's been more dependent on my job and gas prices than the actual BDp prices. Ugh.

My Panasonic BD55K will be delivered Wednesday. $325 @ Amazon. Although it's still dropping, may have to contact them about that.

Now, if only I had some Bluray discs. Or some time to actually do something with it before next Sunday. **sigh**

Last edited by Spiky; 12-01-08 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Nice....and just in time for Dark Knight....
Old 12-01-08, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice.

Give us a review when you have some thoughts!
Old 12-01-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Nice....and just in time for Dark Knight....
Yes, I had noticed that!
Old 12-01-08, 09:19 AM

The Blu selection has increased significantly at Blockbuster Spiky, which gives you options if you don't want to buy a bunch of movies. We have significantly decreased our movie buying over the last couple years. We used to buy virtually any new release that we wanted to see, but now limit buying to only what we really want to own. I think belonging to the blockbuster.com online service has helped us in that area. Obviously Netflix would be the same. The one nice thing with Blockbuster is that you can return the online movies in-store for an immediate rental if you're in the mood to watch something right away.

While we don't have a huge Blu collection, we will definitely be buying Narnia and Batman over the next couple weeks. I'm also drooling over Band of Brothers (I do own the DVD), but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Congrats on your soon to be new toy! I figured you had everything already...
Old 12-01-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Y'know, the next best thing to getting new toys yourself is when other people take the plunge! Have fun Spiky, and there's tons to rent. Will you have your player connected to the Internet? My suggestion is to grab some discs that have the added features for BD Live just to give them a spin. Don't forget to upgrade your firmware!
Old 12-01-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Spiky, is that model number right?
Old 12-01-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Since my Xbox can do Netflix HD streaming, I may ignore the Samsung 2550 and look at the Panasonic since it can output all codecs through 7.1 I'll be very interested to hear your feedback.
Old 12-01-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
. Don't forget to upgrade your firmware!

LOL....I don't think we have to worry about Spiky....
Old 12-01-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
Hey Spiky, is that model number right?
LOL! It is now.

Yes to internet. And firmware. I'm finally breaking down and getting a router just for the HT. Too many devices in there need access these days. It might be a fair amount of work to get this all hooked up. New ethernet hookup, now 2 devices needing the 7.1 analog input, more HDMI to the PJ, etc. I almost bought a BFD, too. I might still since I was reminded this weekend that my sub may not quite be tuned to my room.

There are bunches of movies I never bought on DVD because of BD. I'll be working on those over the coming months.
Old 12-01-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
My Panasonic BD55K will be delivered Wednesday. $325 @ Amazon. Although it's still dropping, may have to contact them about that.
Price went back up to $327.

I've been watching it since it's the player I want to get. If I didn't need the analog outs, I would've snatched up the BD35K during Black Friday. If the price gets close to $250, it's a done deal. Hopefully, that should happen around the Christmas sales.

Last edited by TomOpus; 12-01-08 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-02-08, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
LOL! It is now.

Yes to internet. And firmware. I'm finally breaking down and getting a router just for the HT. Too many devices in there need access these days. It might be a fair amount of work to get this all hooked up. New ethernet hookup, now 2 devices needing the 7.1 analog input, more HDMI to the PJ, etc. I almost bought a BFD, too. I might still since I was reminded this weekend that my sub may not quite be tuned to my room.

There are bunches of movies I never bought on DVD because of BD. I'll be working on those over the coming months.
Congrats man! I hear you on hooking the devices up. I just picked up a new receiver so I can move towards fewer audio cables. I'll be spending next weekend rewiring everything I guess!

Any clue what you are going to watch first?
Old 12-02-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ordered two discs, Master and Commander & Incredible Hulk. So my first BD watched will almost certainly be one of those. Both are supposed to be reference quality on video AND audio, part of the reason I chose them to start. I've never seen Hulk, that may get the nod.

Should be interesting, I have 1080p24 input capability even though my PJ is only 720p native. There will be lots of tweaking and playing this month.
Old 12-02-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Huh. Just looked it up. Thought my discs wouldn't even ship til late this week, but I see they shipped yesterday. And from THIS metro area. They might show up by Friday.
Old 12-02-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Are you sure about Master and Commander being reference quality? I thought the general feeling is that it wasn't.
Old 12-02-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oops, you're right on video. It's only rated high on audio. I do tend to focus on audio. But hey, that's what I'll be trying to find out for myself this weekend.
Old 12-03-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shelland
The Blu selection has increased significantly at Blockbuster Spiky, which gives you options if you don't want to buy a bunch of movies. We have significantly decreased our movie buying over the last couple years. We used to buy virtually any new release that we wanted to see, but now limit buying to only what we really want to own. I think belonging to the blockbuster.com online service has helped us in that area. Obviously Netflix would be the same. The one nice thing with Blockbuster is that you can return the online movies in-store for an immediate rental if you're in the mood to watch something right away.

While we don't have a huge Blu collection, we will definitely be buying Narnia and Batman over the next couple weeks. I'm also drooling over Band of Brothers (I do own the DVD), but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Congrats on your soon to be new toy! I figured you had everything already...
Exactly. I have Blockbuster online and it's worth every penny. I tried Netflix and had real problems with them but that's for another thread. I get every new release that's available on Blu, and then I can decide if it's a purchase or not. Unlike previously where I would buy everything and then trade or sell what I didn't want, I am actually being selective now. After having literally hundreds of unopened DVD's why keep buying? The collection was more about quantity than quality. Now I'm cleaning off the shelves. If I do run run in to some used titles I'm a little more liberal about a purchase because I can always unload for the same price.

Don't underestimate how easy it is to stop by the store and pick up a couple new titles to watch right away. They also check-in your mailers as received so the replacements are on their way as well. You'll have them before the others are due at the store.
Old 12-07-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wired. Finally.

Well, my bro-in-law and I took 5 hours to completely tear down and rewire everything today. Or maybe it's yesterday, what time is it?

This is how geeks spend snowy Saturdays. At least, since my cousin fell through on the football plans.

I took out my tape deck (yes, THAT kind of tape) and replaced it with Bluray. And made a couple other arrangement changes. Moved my DSL modem into the HT, it had been on the other floor of my house. Added in an ethernet switch, already 4 devices are now wired instead of a mixed bag of wireless crap. Added a component video switch to use as a 5.1 channel analog audio switcher. Swapped in the better quality LD player I've been meaning to put in for oh, more than a year. Finally got the last few wires actually run through my wire channel so they aren't dangling from the ceiling, and cleaned up the all the wires in back of my rack so it is only scary rather than downright terrifying. And, I dusted inside the rack...that's right, it's clean. And finally got all of my IR fully run to control all components.

Yet to come:
New HDMI switcher because my current one doesn't work with the 1.3 gadgets. Not pleased. An extension-arm bracket for the LCD for the computer. Remote programming. Audio setup. Video setup. A bit more cleaning. Pictures.
Old 12-07-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Definitely rent some Blu-ray titles such as Rattatooly (ebonics does work--I'm not looking up the spelling), Cars, and the Kill Bill duology.
Old 12-07-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually own 4, now. Picked a couple up on local sales, plus my last shipment arrived from Amazon yesterday with the other 2. But that box was actually more important for the switcher and other stuff I needed to do the work yesterday. I haven't had time to watch a movie, yet.

Master & Commander
Batman Begins
Narnia #1
Incredible Hulk
Old 12-07-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Exciting stuff, Spiky. As a recent blu-ray purchaser myself, it's still plenty novel. Wife and I watched The Fall the other night, and the visuals were incredible. Have fun! Good job getting everything together yesterday... uh-oh, you better go. I hear the dust settling back in for a long winter's night.
Old 12-25-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bump for patiently awaiting a full report from Spiky.

In addition looking for recommendations on a "basic" BD player for the living room. We now have enough BD movies that I think I want to be able to watch then in other places then media room. Plus with the media room down awaiting a bulb, I'm a little frustrated of not being able to watch any of the new BD movies we got.

The only BD player I know much about is the PS3 as this is what I have in the media room. For the living room I have a 46" Samsung LCD. Audio will be through an older H/K that doesn't have HDMI. With my set up I'm not overly concerned with lossless or the new formats. But if I can get it thru analog that might be fun to play with!
Old 12-26-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally working on this with a couple days off.
Old 12-26-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So after surfing around....it seems the Panny's are the BD to get for both performance and value. Evidently the 35 is the same as the 55 except for the on board processing and the 7.1 analog outs.

Hummm...I can't imagine upgrading the receiver in the living room. So if I want the newest formats, would need to go with the 55. However, with my speakers and set up in the living room, I'm not sure it is worth it the price difference.

Hummm...