Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Question regarding DirecTV's 'The 101'

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-28-08, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does DirecTV air movies on The 101 uncensored and commercial-free now?

I'm hoping they do. I remember watching "Death Race 2000" a while ago and it was butchered with censorship & commercials.

I heard The 101 has gotten rid of commercials on many of their programs, but are they also uncensored/uncut?
Old 11-29-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
I don't watch the 101 for anything other than Friday Night Lights, which is commercial free and a few of the episodes have been extended versions. I don't think they show any movies. They have shown free previews of Crash the series, Dexter and Californication.
Old 11-29-08, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
The 101 Channel on DirecTV is a free channel available to all subscribers. Because the intention of the 101 is to be as "family friendly" as possible, programming is rarely uncut.

The free previews of Dexter and Californication have been altered to remove the strong language, strong violence, and nudity. They also did this with The Tudors, effectively changing the rating from TV-MA to TV-14 for these shows.

During October, they air cult classic Halloween films but again censored to remove strong language, strong violence, and nudity.

They also aired an MGM HD free preview that had specially produced versions of the films again without the harsh language, violence, or nudity.

The only times I can recall when they did not alter the content was when they had a Starz movies preview and South Park: Imaginationland. They restricted the Starz films to ratings of PG-13 or lower and Imaginationland only aired on the HD channel after 12:00am.
Old 11-30-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The 101 has some court show where two stand-ups argue a "case". The language isn't censored on that...
Old 12-01-08, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw The Professional a few days ago uncensored and commercial-free so I was wondering if this is the way they'll do things from now on. I hope it is.