Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Quick question about the Panasonic DMP-BD55K player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not very good with electronics. When I buy stuff, I usually have to pay someone to set things up. So, that's pretty bad.

I'm planning to get rid of my 57" crt with a 58" plasma in March thanks in large part to a bonus I'm getting from work.

Still, that will leave me with 6 year old very average jvc speakers and receiver to replace.

I will probably have to spread those out. 3 months after the tv, I'll upgrade again, and then 3 months I'll finish things up.

In the meantime, I don't get to hear my BD with any of the HD sound. This player claims that using an analog jack you can plug it into an old receiver and this player will give me TrueHD and DTS Master Audio.

Is that really possible? My receiver wasn't even built to accept those kinds of signals but the player will somehow do all the work and my receiver will be able to handle it and pass it through to my speakers? Have I got that right?

I was planning to have my receiver do the decoding, I thought you needed one with HDMI to get the best HD sounds, but this says no.

Also, I realize if this is true that because my receiver and speakers are very average that I won't be getting the best of these HD sounds anyway. But I did mention I will be upgrading, so this is temporary with the knowledge that the reviews on the player are great anyway.

I just have no need for it today if I'm not understanding this correctly and my old receiver won't be able to give me HD sounds whether or not the player is decoding them.

I'm also confused about it needing to be hooked up by analog. Is that worse than digital or optical or no different?

Thanks.
Old 11-28-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HDMI simplifies things, in that you have one cable carrying the audio and video signals, but this requires a receiver with an HDMI input as well as a decoder for whatever formats you want to listen to.

The DMP-BD55 ( a fantastic player, by the way) can decode all the new sound formats internally and pass them to your receiver via 5.1 analog cables. For you to make use of this, your receiver will have to have a 5.1 analog input, and you'll have to connect the player to the receiver with six analog cables (left, right and center front channels, left and right rear channels and subwoofer).

So, if your receiver has 5.1 anaolg inputs, yes you can hear the latest and greatest formats. The Blu-ray player will decode, and your receiver will only need to amplify the signals for your speakers.

That said, with JVC brand speakers I doubt you'll hear the difference. When you upgrade your receiver and speakers, come back here for some good advice on how to get the best bang for your buck.
Old 11-28-08, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
HDMI simplifies things, in that you have one cable carrying the audio and video signals, but this requires a receiver with an HDMI input as well as a decoder for whatever formats you want to listen to.

The DMP-BD55 ( a fantastic player, by the way) can decode all the new sound formats internally and pass them to your receiver via 5.1 analog cables. For you to make use of this, your receiver will have to have a 5.1 analog input, and you'll have to connect the player to the receiver with six analog cables (left, right and center front channels, left and right rear channels and subwoofer).

So, if your receiver has 5.1 anaolg inputs, yes you can hear the latest and greatest formats. The Blu-ray player will decode, and your receiver will only need to amplify the signals for your speakers.

That said, with JVC brand speakers I doubt you'll hear the difference. When you upgrade your receiver and speakers, come back here for some good advice on how to get the best bang for your buck.
Wow, thanks for that very easy to understand reply. Sometimes in this forum, I read a reply and still am confused.

I don't think my receiver has those inputs, but based on the rest of what you write, you don't seem to think with my system it would really make much difference.

So, it looks like I'll be getting the new receiver anyway, which will do the decoding.

My plan was to hopefully find this Panny plasma on sale and then use my current player (sony 350) on it, because there will never be a home theater in my room and then get the panny dvd player now to use with my current home theater, so I didn't have to wait several months to hear HD sound.

But that looks like it's exactly what I'll have to do. Again, thanks a lot. Wish me on luck on finding the Panasonic plasma for $550 or so, because that's truly what I want more than anything.
Old 11-28-08, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PS-do i even need the 55k and not the less expensive model just below it if I'm going to be getting a receiver to be doing my decoding anyway?
Old 11-28-08, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope.
Old 11-28-08, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
My plan was to hopefully find this Panny plasma on sale and then use my current player (sony 350) on it, because there will never be a home theater in my room and then get the panny dvd player now to use with my current home theater, so I didn't have to wait several months to hear HD sound.

But that looks like it's exactly what I'll have to do. Again, thanks a lot. Wish me on luck on finding the Panasonic plasma for $550 or so, because that's truly what I want more than anything.
I'm confused. You currently have a Sony 350 Blu-ray player? If so, why replace it? And you're hoping to find a 58-inch Panasonic plasma for $550? I don't think that's going to happen.
Old 11-28-08, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm confused. You currently have a Sony 350 Blu-ray player? If so, why replace it? And you're hoping to find a 58-inch Panasonic plasma for $550? I don't think that's going to happen.
I'm not trying to replace it. If I got the new tv, I'd need two BD players.

I have no idea where you got the idea I was looking for a 58 inch plasma for $550.

The 42" is the one. And 6th Ave has it for $574 and another chain in the midwest is offering it for even less.

It's not at all unreasonable to hope to find it at that price point today or maybe even later in the season.

If I was just pulling that number out of my butt, I could see people thinking no way. But it's being sold for that price and I'm just hoping to get in on it.

If not, I might bend and buy it for the $150 or so more it can be had at many stores OR I can simply wait until next year since we're re-doing our entire home theater in the living room in 2009.

I just know how things work for me. If I pay $699 now, it will be on sale 2 miles away for $545 in a week...or something similar. I know it may seem haggling over very little, but as mentioned, this was not something I planned to buy anyway, so I'm giving it by best shot to get the very best deal. Especially since they are out there in other areas.

If 6th Ave. offered free shipping, I'd already have bought it.
Old 11-28-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no idea where you got the idea I was looking for a 58 inch plasma for $550.

The 42" is the one. And 6th Ave has it for $574 and another chain in the midwest is offering it for even less.
The only plasma you've mentioned is a 58-inch, in your first post:

I'm planning to get rid of my 57" crt with a 58" plasma in March thanks in large part to a bonus I'm getting from work.
You've said nothing about a 42-inch plasma.
Old 12-02-08, 06:28 PM

I just bought a BD55 and have an older HK receiver with 6 analog inputs (they call it 6 channel direct), I'm excited to get it set up. The BD55 has a 5.1 mode and a 7.1 mode, will I still be able to get all the "lossless" quality in the 5.1 mode (minus 2 speakers) or should I use the 7.1 mode and turn off the rear surrounds?
Old 12-03-08, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by floxy
I just bought a BD55 and have an older HK receiver with 6 analog inputs (they call it 6 channel direct), I'm excited to get it set up. The BD55 has a 5.1 mode and a 7.1 mode, will I still be able to get all the "lossless" quality in the 5.1 mode (minus 2 speakers) or should I use the 7.1 mode and turn off the rear surrounds?
I would say set your player to 5.1 and let it do any necessary downmixing. That's what it's there for.
Old 12-03-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by floxy
Keep us posted how it sounds. I've been eyeing the BD55 since I need the analogue outs.
Old 12-03-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Tho as a reminder....your really only going to be able to tell and appreciate lossless, etc depending on your speaker set up. I mean if need a BD player anyway and have no plans to upgrade receiver, then sure get one with analog outs so that you can appreciate it when you get the speakers.