Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What Doesn't Kill You (Goodman, 2008):Boston crime drama w/Ethan Hawke & Mark Ruffalo

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What Doesn't Kill You (Goodman, 2008):Boston crime drama w/Ethan Hawke & Mark Ruffalo

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synopsis:
Based on events from director Brian Goodman’s life, WHAT DOESN’T KILL YOU stars Mark Ruffalo (Brian) and Ethan Hawke (Paulie), as friends who grew up like brothers on the gritty streets of south Boston. They do whatever it takes to survive, living by the code of their dog-eat-dog neighborhood. Petty crimes and misdemeanors grow into more serious offenses and eventually, they fall under sway to organized crime.

<object width="450" height="378"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/7539"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/7539" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="378"></embed></object>

IMDB
Old 12-06-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Variety review:
The true-life saga of a South Boston tough guy is told with assured, sensitive style by tyro-actor-turned-director Brian Goodman in "What Doesn't Kill You." A fine example of traditional American storytelling lined with full-bodied performances, pic is especially notable for giving Mark Ruffalo the kind of complete role this subtle, instinctive actor has long deserved yet too seldom gets. Ruffalo gets to dominate a movie that has serious notions on its mind and is blessed with a powerful sense of place.
Old 12-06-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Love the title...

Looking forward to it.
Old 12-06-08, 05:33 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting info on this. I completely agree with Variety's comment on Mark Ruffalo. This looks like a great role for him. This also looks like a more realistic view of Boston's crime scene. As much as I enjoyed The Departed, it didn't seem authentic. Mystic River was close and Gone Baby Gone was even closer but this could be the real deal.
Old 12-07-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ever since I saw Brian Goodman in The Last Castle, I knew he had some potential. Glad to see this becoming a reality and getting positive recognition.
Old 12-07-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally Posted by donniemac
Thanks for posting info on this. I completely agree with Variety's comment on Mark Ruffalo. This looks like a great role for him. This also looks like a more realistic view of Boston's crime scene. As much as I enjoyed The Departed, it didn't seem authentic. Mystic River was close and Gone Baby Gone was even closer but this could be the real deal.
What is your opinion of Monument Ave.?
Old 12-07-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JustinS
I thought this was an absolutely superb film that unfortunately fell under the radar. Worth renting for the spot-on late-night coke session alone.
Old 12-07-08, 01:51 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by JustinS
Well, knowing Denis Leary's connection to the 80's comedy scene in Boston, I had high hopes for Monument Ave. I think they got the lifestyles right, but I didn't care too much for the movie as a whole. At points Leary seemed to go over the top with the whole Boston accent and it made him sound more fake boston than he usually does. The accent thing is a problem with all Boston movies. They could stand to tone it down a little. To answer your question I thought it was just ok mostly due to the, IMO, skimpy plot.
Old 12-07-08, 02:05 PM
Banned

I saw this at TIFF. I enjoyed it, but freaking depressing movie
Old 12-19-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Clip
Old 12-19-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Great trailer...but I get the feeling I've seen it all before...hope it's good though
Old 12-19-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, how come Boston gets all the cool movies, TV shows (ok, maybe that's a stretch) and sports teams?
Old 12-19-08, 08:37 PM

Seems too depressing and the material too familiar to really be interesting or to be excited to actually see it. Don't doubt it's a well made movie, though.
Old 12-19-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
Man, how come Boston gets all the cool movies, TV shows (ok, maybe that's a stretch) and sports teams?
Because we are the greatest city on the face of the Earth.