Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dancing With the Stars Finale 11/24-11/25

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the Winner of Season 7?
Lance Bass with Lacey Schwimmer
4.35%
Warren Sapp with Kym Johnson
26.09%
Brooke Burke with Derek Hough
69.57%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's down to Warren Sapp, Brooke Burke, and Lance Bass. Who's going to take home the Disco Ball trophy?
Old 11-24-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lance and Lacey were my favorite going in, but their freestyle didnt do anything for me. All 3 are deserving so it really doesnt matter who wins.
Old 11-24-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
As much as I want Sapp to win - and he had a great freestyle, Brooke and Derek's Grease dance was pretty awesome, and they've been the best all season - they are most deserving. Sapp and Kym are sure to win though.

at Tom's Edyta wardrobe comment.
Old 11-24-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Brooke and Derek's Grease dance was pretty awesome, and they've been the best all season - they are most deserving.
Yeah that was really great.I thought Lance and Lacey had gained on them in the last few weeeks but that was a huge finish for Brooke & Derek and i think that should give them the win but we shall see.
Old 11-24-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
Samantha Harris looks like Arnold schwarzenegger. She should really wear a long sleeve shirt.
Old 11-25-08, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the judges were far too kind to Lance in his pathetic freestyle. He looked clumsy, awkward, and generally out of his element. And Lacey needs to understand the premise of the show if she comes back for the next installment. Her whole approach to the show has been pretty juvenile. Especially when compared to Julianne, who is, ironically, almost exactly the same age, yet manages to come across as a complete professional in every performance.

With that said, I had a really tough time with this episode, because I like Brooke and Warren equally, but for different reasons. I've been pulling for Warren all season, but it is pretty clear that Brooke dominated tonight's dances, and she deserves to win. That was, by far, the best freestyle I've ever seen on the show.

But Tom's Edyta costume joke was one of the best lines EVER.
Old 11-25-08, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If Brooke doesn't win, I'm calling shenanigans in the voting process.

I've got a soft spot for "Grease", so Brooke/Derek's free style was a joy to watch.

Never go with hip-hop in the free style, it's virtually impossible to score 10s with that style.

Warren did well, just didn't quite execute the routine 100%.
Old 11-25-08, 09:58 AM

Any chance Lance and Lacey had to win the trophy probably went out the window with that dull freestyle. Anyone who can make "It's Tricky" that dull should be back-slapped.

Brooke and Derek's freestyle was good, but I don't care for Grease, so I'm a bit jaded about their performance.

I'd like to see Warren and Kym win, probably more so for Kym because she tends to be forgotten among Karina, Julianne, and Cheryl. She does so much to actually teach her partners basic steps of each dance, so I would like to see Kym be rewarded for that. Plus, Warren was the most entertaining celeb of the season.

Tom's Edyta costume joke was one of the best lines EVER.
That was one of the best jokes of the season!
Old 11-25-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Warren's act got old for me, all that eye-winking got silly.

Enjoyed Brooke, but Derek is just such a little spaz at times, make it tough to root for him, but at least they up the degree of difficulty in their dances when Brooke could have coasted.
Old 11-25-08, 10:49 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What a terribly structured finale. The first half hour was wasted on recaps and the junior champ nonsense, which belongs on the results show. Then we get only a dance and a half from each competitor, more or less, because I wouldn't count that samba smackdown as a full dance. Sure, they'll have another dance for the final two tomorrow, but that has never had any bearing on the score in the past, since it usually just ties or goes to the person who was already leading in the judge's scores anyway.

With a two-way tie for second, this is all going to come down to who gets the highest audience vote, since '1st place in audience vote/2nd in judge's scores' trumps '1st place in judge's scores/2nd in audience vote'.

And as a sidenote, none of the freestyles really blew me away. Brooke & Derek's was the best, but even then I thought the first half was a bit routine. It felt just like a typical week's routine until they ripped off the clothes and started the sequence of lifts. Lance & Lacey had some fun moves in there, but it was too much of the same thing. They should have went with some west coast swing number (albeit one that showcased Lance, unlike their last one) or maybe combined the WC swing and hip hop somehow. Warren & Kim, honestly I can't even remember much about their routine except for the lifts.

Last edited by DRG; 11-25-08 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-25-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On one level, I know what you mean, but on another level, I thought it worked (at least the "recap" portion). It gave viewers a chance to remember why they voted for the contestants in the past, and showcased their best dances. It would have been better to have each of them perform their favorite dance from the season, without judges comments, but they didn't, so there we are.
Old 11-25-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Weekend at Bernie's The Musical
Old 11-25-08, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Weekend at Bernie's The Musical
Cloris, your scores should have been 9-1-1

Cloris, you've already had your 15 decades of fame

Funny stuff!
Old 11-25-08, 10:29 PM

Oh, and I'm glad that the best dancer won!
Old 11-25-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Derek and Brookes last dance was magical. That really got me when she kissed her daughters. She deserved to win. Happy with the results.

So they have had the youngest, the oldest, one leg, deaf, heart problems...what's next..any guesses?
Old 11-25-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Loved how this all ended but I wish Lance and Lacey would have at least got second place.

And if Tony and Maksim think Lacey and Cheryl are fat, I wanna know where they live cos I wanna date all their fat chicks.
Old 11-25-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
Derek and Brookes last dance was magical. That really got me when she kissed her daughters. She deserved to win. Happy with the results.

So they have had the youngest, the oldest, one leg, deaf, heart problems...what's next..any guesses?
They already laid the groundwork for what it will be next season during the roast.
Spoiler:
A dancing corpse.
Old 11-26-08, 02:58 AM

Louis and Maksim made comments about Lacey and Cheryl. Maks later backtracked.

What an uninspiring finale. I can't think of one dance this season I wanted to watch again. My only comfort is that Julianne isn't returning. If she took her brother with her, I'd be doubly excited.
Old 11-26-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Jeffrey Ross is a great roaster.

Surprising result. How is the final scoring worked? Is it ordinal based or are the sheer numbers weighted somehow? For example, if Sapp got 10000 votes, Brooke 2 votes, and Lance 1 vote, would they simply be ranked 1-2-3 in that order? I ask because I think the judges crafted an outcome to ensure that Brooke and Derek would win - Bruno threw an odd 10 to Lance in the final dance and that meant Sapp finished 3rd (by a single point). However, by doing that, that meant that so long as Brooke and Derek would get the 2nd most audience votes, they'd win (1st with judges + 2nd audience = 3, compared to Sapp 3rd with judges + 1st audience = 4).
Old 11-26-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I looked up the scoring and voting details on wikipedia:

Starting in Season 3, the procedure for eliminating couples changed. Previously, only the overall ranking between competitors by the judges and the public was relevant. Starting in Season 3, the differential is now relevant.

The scoring begins with the judges' marks. Each judge gives a 1 to 10 score, allowing for a highest score of 30, and a lowest score of three (though the lowest individual score ever given was a 2- Season 2, Master P, Paso Doble, and the lowest combined score was an 8). With multiple performances, the scores would all be added at the end of the program. The scores for all competitors are added together and each contestant's "judge share" is determined by dividing their score by the sum of all the scores combined and recorded as a percentage. This percentage is then added to the percentage of North American votes received by each contestant. The bottom two couples are identified in the results show, and the couple with the lowest combined total is eliminated.

Public voting is conducted via a toll-free number, the ABC web site, and, most recently, text messages. Voters can place up to the number of couples performing that night to a minimum of 5 votes per medium during and immediately after each performance show.
Old 11-26-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah I knew that was the way they did it for rounds before the finals, but I wasn't sure if the finals were different.

If that is the way the finals are also scored, then it's very surprising that Brooke won since I figured Sapp would dominate the audience vote.
Old 11-27-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew Brooke would win. The judges liked her from the gate and she was a more natural dancer than all the others.

However, this was the most lackluster finale. Brooke and Derek's Grease dance wasn't near as exciting as the judges thought. And Lance and Lacey's hip hop was boring. Only liked Warren and Kym's dance.

Jeffrey Ross was sooo tame. Had this been on Comedy Central, it would have been so cruel, funny, and foul-mouthed.